Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do dwarves and animals born in fortress grow to mature size?  (Read 1236 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do dwarves and animals born in fortress grow to mature size?
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:02:06 pm »

Same as title.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Do dwarves and animals born in fortress grow to mature size?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:35:57 pm »

1/10 of them will. The rest won't. You can fix it with DFHack.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:45:31 pm »

answer is yes. play the game and find out.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:02:07 am »

Answer is as Sutremaine mentions above, and the game won't show you the bug as you'll have adult midgets.  OP, if you get the LNP r22 DFHack will already have the fix built in and init'd for you.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:45:14 am »

I have modded the game so that babies are born at full size.

You cannot check a creature's exact size in game.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 12:25:17 pm »

I have modded the game so that babies are born at full size.

You cannot check a creature's exact size in game.

You can approximate it if you can cage it, though, I've been testing out caging livestock to see their weight. It doesn't works with dwarves outside of justice or abuse, though. Not really practical for most part, either, so it'd be easier to get the fix or learning to live with it.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »

Having adult sized children will make sure that none of the dwarves are midgets.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 02:16:13 pm »

The bug in question is #6334.  The only known fix is through DFhack.  Some mods or installation bundles may already have applied the fix for you.  If you need to apply it yourself, grab the ruby script from this post and add the appropriate line ("fix/growthbug enable") to your dfhack.init file to run it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 08:37:25 am »

The bug in question is #6334.  The only known fix is through DFhack.  Some mods or installation bundles may already have applied the fix for you.  If you need to apply it yourself, grab the ruby script from this post and add the appropriate line ("fix/growthbug enable") to your dfhack.init file to run it.
Wrong, another fix exists; transform the dwarf into something for a single tick and when the untransform they're their appropriate size ;)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 12:49:42 pm »

Couldn't you just mod the game so that the dwarves are born at full size?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »

That works, yes.

DFHack is the best way of doing it if you care about butchery returns, and that can be gotten around by using creatures that pop out at butcherable size. Pigs should be pretty good for this -- they start at size 6000, enough to get the meat/fat/skin/skull/bone basic return.

I just butchered 25 of the piglets you get at embark (exact age unknown), and the returns were as follows:

Meat: 189 (14x8 + 11x7)
Fat: 189 (14x8 + 11x7)
Brain, Liver, Stomach: 72 (24 each)
Heart, Spleen: 28 (14 each)
Lung: 48 (24x2)
Kidney: 28 (14x2)
Intestines: 25
Hoof: 72 (18x4)
Bone: 168 (14x8 + 6x6 + 5x4)
Skull: 25

Leather wasn't counted, but if you turn skin into a glob you get a stack of pig skin instead of a single pig skin, and between them the pigs produced 202 units of skin / leather.

One little piggy was especially little, the only organ return being gut. This was the very first one butchered, which is probably coincidence but may be worth watching in future.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 06:11:07 pm »

Leather wasn't counted, but if you turn skin into a glob you get a stack of pig skin instead of a single pig skin, and between them the pigs produced 202 units of skin / leather.

Sutremain,

If you do this raw edit, is the glob of skin still able to be tanned into leather?  Might be a nice easy workaround to the 1 skin/critter issue.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 06:22:41 pm »

It works. See here.

What you get is something a lot like the 'render fat' reaction -- one stack of lots goes in, lots of stacks of one come out. The number of products made levels up your tanners quite quickly.

Edit: It has been reported by someone else that whole fish such as cuttlefish and squid can be turned into leather. Due to other mods (turning all body tissues into globs so that caravans don't bring different organs from different animals all the time), I've never experienced this.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:31:52 pm by Sutremaine »

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 05:00:19 pm »

Thanks everyone!

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 06:44:55 am »

Sutremain,

If you do this raw edit, is the glob of skin still able to be tanned into leather?  Might be a nice easy workaround to the 1 skin/critter issue.
you have to change the reaction as well my fix is in my sig
Pages: [1] 2