Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miner won't mine. I have mining as the only task, and areas designated to be dug  (Read 587 times)

iamthelol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what the title says. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you have any picks? Also can the miner access the designated areas?

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

or sleeping/on break?  or eating or attending a meeting or drinking ... every once in a while I suspect it is the software and I do a save/restart
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Also, is it not in a burrow?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

How's it designated? If it's a lower z, then make sure you have down stair or channel designation above and a up stair or uo/down one below ( or leave at least one tile unmined for channels ).

If the miner have a pick and still have No Job for them, then it's either inaccessible, your miner's in a burrow or something broke.

iamthelol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the picks are certainly not broken, i had two on embark, and immediately two miners i assigned dug out a two wide, eight long hall. I designated rooms to be dug out, on the same z level, certainly accessible, because the floor plans are attached to the hall already dug.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So... sounds like problem solved?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Silly question perhaps but are you sure you designated the new rooms in such a way that your actualy pokeing a hole through the wall to get there and not just designated on the other side of the wall?  If you just designated in the black hidden area and not a section on the wall itself the designation may look correct depending on your tileset and the materials of the wall/floor but isnt.   Try designating a path from the new branch hallway/room you are creating that crosses from that room to the far side of the dug hallway and see if that starts things digging.

also make sure your miners are not bussy doing something else, if you just made your first general stockpile they may be hauling stuff in off the wagons or something.

iamthelol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

problem solved goodbye thanks 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

it would be nice to know what the problem actually was, if you're not too emberrassed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

it would be nice to know what the problem actually was, if you're not too emberrassed

Judging from timing, tile issues that made it looks like exposed tiles was already designated to be mined. It's happened to me from time to time by accident!

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... that rascally sandy loam ...
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Judging from timing, tile issues that made it looks like exposed tiles was already designated to be mined. It's happened to me from time to time by accident!

Ya thats why I mentioned it.  I've had it happen a couple times where I came back and found only half my floorplan dug out and had a brief WTF moment folowed by a facepalm.