Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead baby announcement  (Read 365 times)

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
Dead baby announcement
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:35:55 pm »

I got an announcement that one of my dwarves had been stung by a bee, and I got one when a dwarf saw a kobold. Why did I not get an announcement when my hunter was locked in combat with two capybaras? She was badly wounded and her baby was killed. (Why was she *hunting* with an infant?? Do they fight goblins that way too?) The first sign of trouble I got was the announcement that her baby was dead! Also, the only reason I know she was wounded was that I checked every dwarf in the unit list while trying to discover whose baby is was and why it had suddenly bled to death. I spotted the wound then. Is it actually my responsibility to constantly check each dwarf to make sure they aren't wounded or dying? Or, is there something that I accidentally turned off?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Dead baby announcement
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »

Combat doesn't show up in announcements, it appears in reports that you can check with (r). If there is a little C on the top left of your screen, it means that some combat happened.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:52:34 pm »

female dwarves gladly carry their baby's with them on whatever job they are doing.  This includes hunting, military service, dangeroom training, deep magmasea diveing, everything.   If for some reason you want to avoid baby deaths you'll need to avoid assigning female dwarves to potentially dangerous tasks.

As to hunters geting wonded sadly that is a risk of the job.   If they decide to hunt something that can fight back they can be injured/killed and you wont get any anouncement till their corpse is discovered or they have been missing for a week unless you are checking reports constantly (r).  If you setup a hospital, stock it, and have some doctors on hand injured dwarves will be delt with without you ever needing to be involved.

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:13:05 pm »

Thanks. I'm keeping an eye out for the red C now, and finally have enough dwarfs to train a real military. All these babies are awfully inconvenient, but I don't think it would be wise to take care of them the same way I did my overpopulated kittens...

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:45:19 pm »

real world politics aside, I really try not to recruit females to my military or hunting jobs for this very reason. I've got kids of my own and I wouldn't want them fighting FB's or dragons or even capybaras.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler