Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What's the worst game you've ever played?  (Read 5640 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
What's the worst game you've ever played?
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:29:46 pm »

A simple enough question. Go ahead, and describe the worst game you've played, or the worst gaming experience you've ever had. We'll leave the definition of "worst" as open as possible- it could be the most boring game you've played, the most rage-inducing, the most hilariously bad, the most overhyped or biggest dissapointment, or you spent a bunch of money on it and it just didn't fucking work.

Rules:
-Any game, any price bracket, indie to EA, is up for roasting
-You must have actually played the game
-It's okay to have a bunch of "worst" games that bug you for different reasons

Mine personally was The You Testament, a "christian" game which I'll admit I only played because I knew it would be horrible, and it was free. Perhaps I'll give a thorough account later, but suffice to say that the creator thinks he's jesus and the entire game was designed to use assets and the engine from a game he made about being in prison, which uses the engine and assets from a wrestling game he made.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the worst game you've ever played?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 02:31:38 pm »

Jagex' Ace of Spades.
The sheer amount of dumbness in this game compared to the FREE original is unacceptably bad.

Either that, or Might and Magic: Heroes VI.
Because Ubisoft and reboots.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:37:46 pm »

Well... can't really tell because i played so many games i... just have no idea what to pick... especially since most of them seem to be at least decent...

That does not mean i never saw BAD games tho... i just didn't play them.
Have some examples of terrible games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvT3lX1niNQ
And
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g49u3C6ym5I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUq6VFHwMzcMXbuKyG7SQYIg
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »

I dunno about worst, but these were pretty terrible

- Stronghold 3 (Hover-wolves climbing my towers, lol)
- Elemental War of Magic (Hate stardock so much)
- Penumbra:  Requiem (I don't know why they even made it, it was nothing like the other two.)
- Chaser (An FPS so bad I couldn't stop playing)

Runners up would be:
- Endless Space (Because they never did fix their multiplayer desync/crashing issues)
- Rage (Because every time I turned all the textures would go nuts)
- TF2 (Because Valved turned it from an amazing FPS to some kinda dumb pokemon collecting game)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »

- Rage (Because every time I turned all the textures would go nuts)

I dunno man, seems pretty awesome to me
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 02:45:27 pm »

- TF2 (Because Valved turned it from an amazing FPS to some kinda dumb pokemon collecting game)

Ah, come on. It's arguably the only true free-to-play game out there.
Yeah, it has a LOT of hats in it, but no one forces you to ever get a single one of those. Previously you had those item set bonuses (where a certain combination of weapons (and in some cases) hats would give you an extra attribute like health or speed) but now they've removed those (or made them purely aesthetic) so...

Yeah.
And I've put over 700 hours into this game, and I CAN tell you it's still good.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 02:45:35 pm »

Hmm. That's a tough one. But for something at least in recent memory I'll go with X-Blade, which I got cheap in some bundle or another off Amazon. Tried it out, played for an hour, and then promptly uninstalled it.

Combat was boring, the story was boring, and the girl managed to be both horribly under-dressed and completely uninteresting to look at at the same time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:45:49 pm »

TF2 Hate

SHUT YOUR MOUTH

Nah, I kid, I kid. I like all the items and hats and other things, so it works for me, but I can totally see where you're coming from.

As for me, I'd have to say... this one Bionicle game for the PS2? It wasn't even all that bad, but it definitely wasn't good.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »

Jagex' Ace of Spades.
The sheer amount of dumbness in this game compared to the FREE original is unacceptably bad.
God damn, this still fucking pisses me off. The original Ace of Spades was god-tier, until the developer started listening to the people on his forums who wanted to literally make the game like CoD, and wanted to make the game easier. He did this, and went on and on about how he would NEVER sell out and the game would always be free.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 02:48:40 pm »

I regret to admit that I not only bought, but pre-ordered the 2010 Aliens vs. Predator. Featuring boring, repetitive combat ("how many of the 'greatest predators in the universe' will I kill in this room?"), a dull and imbalanced multiplayer experience (first-person light attack/heavy attack/block ad nauseum, hope the opponent doesn't side-step 2 feet and get out of your field of view), and lackluster campaigns (the game features separate, parallel campaigns for humans, aliens, and predators. Except only the human one has any decent length. And every 'plot twist' is hideously transparent, even for an Aliens game.).

Yeah... I avoided pre-ordering anything for a while after that experience. Learned that half-hearted pre-order bonuses are rarely worth dropping $50 on a game that hasn't been reviewed yet.  :'(

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:06 pm »

I had 1600 hours before it turned to crap.  :D  I really loved that game, but microtransactions totally ruined it for me.  Everything got sloppy, the players stopped caring about actually playing the game and the performance of the game went down.  Half the players just stood around eating sandviches or spamming the chat with trade requests instead of playing. 

I couldn't bring myself to keep playing after you could start buying weapons and junk.  It was essentially P2W(in that you could get slight advantages with money) and I wanted no part of it.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:12 pm »

I would stop playing TF2, but its the only FPS where I can actually kill something. I haven't played much games so I can't really contribute, but games that irk me the most are painfully obvious ripoffs of a game.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:56 pm »

I had 1600 hours before it turned to crap.  :D  I really loved that game, but microtransactions totally ruined it for me.  Everything got sloppy, the players stopped caring about actually playing the game and the performance of the game went down.  Half the players just stood around eating sandviches or spamming the chat with trade requests instead of playing. 

I couldn't bring myself to keep playing after you could start buying weapons and junk.  It was essentially P2W(in that you could get slight advantages with money) and I wanted no part of it.

It was never pay-to-win (not on purpose, anyway). All weapons have some kind of a downside to them, with a very few exceptions (but all of the weapons that have no downsides are melee weapons and they are like "See enemy health" thing).
And you can very easily get every weapon with enough playtime. Or trade with with excess weapons, since at worst people are selling weapons at a ratio of 2:1. (unless they're promotional, cosmetic weapons like the Wheatley-looking sapper)

And in most cases the stock weapons are usually the best ones. (Shotgun, Medigun, Demoman class as a whole)
As for people eating sandviches and trading...

Don't hate the game, hate the player.

You might be saying that I'm defending the game too much.
But I'm just saying that your current reasons are wrong and the game is still very fun to play.

Plus it's not a game where multiplayer is unbalanced by some shitty leveling system and straight upgrades.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 02:58:00 pm »

More options is an advantage.  ;)

I'm not saying its not a tiny advantage, but it still made me uncomfortable enough to feel bad about playing it.

Plus it's not a game where multiplayer is unbalanced by some shitty leveling system and straight upgrades.

Yeah, those are bad too.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:03:02 pm by Levi »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »

King's Quest 8. I usually wouldn't have bothered but since we kinda already had it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4