Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage trapping wild animals  (Read 393 times)

Gazza_m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage trapping wild animals
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:00:43 am »

I've embarked on a 3x3 map and want to be able to capture a lot of animals, is there a way can get a lot of wild animals caught with out flooding the map with cage traps??

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Cage trapping wild animals
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:17 am »

Clump cages around where they usually wanders, they seem to like to go between sides or wander toward middle of the embark before going away.

To definitely catch them for sure involves blanketing the map, though, but to catch most of them, a few 3x3 or 4x4 cage traps scattered near edges does the job for me. 2x2 does the job, but usually don't catches enough of one gender or other for me.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:52 am »

Basically, no. There's a few schematics for walls and stuff which will make trapping easier though.

Gazza_m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:13:33 am »

Thank you for the quick reply I heard about the wall stuff before how would you go about doing it 0cu do you know the 'plans' for them?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:53 am »

Thank you for the quick reply I heard about the wall stuff before how would you go about doing it 0cu do you know the 'plans' for them?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Trap_design#Trapping_efficiently

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:01:02 am »

a cross of walls or + with cage traps in the middle will funnel a lot of creatures through the centre. I usually made it a 'hollow wall', two paralel walls with a path in the middle for cage retrieval and a 3x3 or even 4x4 cage are at the end of the path, continuing another wall on the other side of the traps. Why that many traps? Mostly because creatures that travel in larger numbers tend to hang around the place where the leader got caught, preventing the trap from being reset. They do wander around that spot a bit, eventually, and then in turn get caught.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:01:54 pm »

If you don't use much of the first underground level, you can simply replace the walls in all those schematics with trenches - simply order your miners to dig channels, remove most ramps to make them unpassable, place cage traps in the passages that remain. With skilled miners, that's orders of magnitude faster than waiting for your masons to move all those blocks.

If there are hills on your map, you can remove long stretches of slopes to channel or block animal movement, too.