Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Phantom Limb Surgery  (Read 629 times)

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Phantom Limb Surgery
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:01:47 am »

So. I've got this hauler that stepped in forgotten beast blood a few seconds before having his leg ripped off by the forgotten beast in question. Now...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I found his leg, which was rotten in a stockpile, and to try and make it not "swollen with blood" and "completely rotten", I naturally did what any sane overseer would do and threw it into the magma sea. It didn't help.

He hasn't woken up since first being recovered- frankly, I'm amazed he survived the initial injury. The problem is, they won't stop removing the "rotten flesh" from his missing leg. He's been in surgery for 10 years. I have 4 legendary surgeons who are getting pretty darn good at suturing and dressing too. I've removed his table mid-surgery, put the offending body part in lava- I even released a kobold thief in the hospital to try and startle him awake but all that he did was get stabbed in the head pretty hard.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to get this lazy slacker out of bed and back to work throwing away all the bracelets the queen wants made? They're starting to become a problem!
-gabrek

(DF2012)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phantom Limb Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:08:48 am »

If the bracelets are becoming a problem, you should toss your queen, if you get my drift :D

To answer the origional question, maybe just let said dwarf die? Then again, if you've kept him around for 10 years......

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:13:44 am »

Some dwarves just can't wake up from being wounded so badly. I think some syndromes can put dwarves down pernamently like that.

Sounds like your dwarf's needing constant medical care, it can take years for them to heal.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:32 am »

I've considered ending him, but I'd hate to lose the medical science vegetable such a valuable member of my workforce.
The puzzle, to me, is how his entire left leg is missing, but his left foot is rotten- he produces miasma and everything. I got to looking at his medical records, and the attack was actually 12 years ago- he was treated for the amputation, hobbled around on a crutch for almost 5 years, and only then did his "foot" become rotten? And he has been in constant surgery for 7, not 10; sorry for my confusion there.
It was the FB that removed the leg, and he's been diagnosed with FB sickness. The only possible explanation I can come up with is that the FB ripped off his leg, bit the foot OFF of his leg, and then with use of his foul secretions stuck the foot back onto or into the peasant somewhere with a long term incubation, incurable rotting disease.

Logic dictates that this poor soul had his foot stuck, in an extremely unpleasant and long lasting way, up his own arse.

*sighs* I guess I'm going to give him another 5 or 6 years and if he's still not willing to get to work I'll kill it with fire.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:00:09 am »

On bright side, a practice victim for as long as it lasts! I've found dwarves in hospitals tend to be pretty happy being fed and watered by others, sometimes more than rest of my fortress :D

You sure it's the left foot? Left and right feet are pretty easily confused, at least for me, it's possibly that it's an older diagonsis.

Then again, DF does works in mysterious way sometimes!

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:19:47 am »

Urist McSurgeon: "His left leg is gone, this fella won't ever walk again"

Urist McOtherSurgeon: "Wait, we found his foot. It's covered in stinky blood, but otherwise seem to be recoverable"

UristMcSurgeon: "FOR !!!SCIENCE!!!"
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:24 am »

I'm positive, it says it in the screenshot I uploaded.

Timmy Mc1800DumpsALot: "McSurgeon, the foot has been thrown in the magma, for !!SCIENCE!! by your request sir!"

Urist McSurgeon: "Excellent! Now retrieve the foot and bring it back up, cleansed by !!SCIENCE!! that we may reattach it!"

Urist McOtherSurgeon: "We're going to need another Timmy!"

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:18 am »

You could try letting a goblin surgeon take a whack at him, if you know what I mean.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »

I think it's this bug. Amputated "filial" limbs can keep and acquire contaminants. I've fortunately only had dwarfs acquiring blood spatters and water coverings on the fingers of their missing hands (and wasting soap washing blood off their phantom limbs; this obviously didn't remove the blood, but at least they got happy feelings from soapy baths).

That these sorts of phantom contaminants can actually cause full-fledged FB symptoms is seriously bad news. I guess you could try to get your dwarf into running water and hope the phantom contaminant gets transferred to the water; as long as they're in the hospital, chances are the contaminant can't be removed and they'll stay syndrom-afflicted forever.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:16:13 pm »

He's been cleaned .. a LOT. Many gobblers died in the eternal quest to cleanse him.

... well. Almost eternal. Turns out he violated a production order and was put out of his misery. /facepalm

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 03:18:55 pm »

doh I think you should find a way to make your noble take up his role.  Afterall you had the medical equivelent of a danger room all fine and dandy.  The least that noble can do is provide a nice training dummy for your medical staff after disposeing of the last one.