Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adamantine artifacts  (Read 1488 times)

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine artifacts
« on: April 06, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

I was wondering what the necessary conditions for a strange mood dwarf to make something adamantine are. Do you have to have adamantine actually mined, or do you only need to have exposed the vein? Do you need to have wafers sitting around? Does the dwarf need to have some points accumulated in Adamantine worker? Is it always a fey/strange/possessed mood?

Anyone know any of that?

[ April 06, 2007: Message edited by: Zomg ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine artifacts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

A dwarf will want a material that is within your ability to obtain; if you havn't passed the river, he will never ask for iron or saphires.

So if you've crossed the demon pits and mined out the rock around the adamantium (without actually mining the adamantium) then a dwarf in a fey mood may want a few peices.
If you're lucky.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 03:12:00 am »

the trick is probably to make sure that the adamantium is the nearest ore to the dwarf, which means moving all other ore elsewhere and keeping a nearby stockpile with the adamantium.

that way whenever a dwarf wants generic ore for a mood, he will pick the nearest one, which will be the adamantine stuff.

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:09:00 am »

My dwarves always cease having fey moods within a year or three, I wonder are there any conditions that reignite their... instability?

Furthermore do you know what mechanism causes the cessation of inspiration? Is it a pure time limitation, or a set number of fey instances orsucessfully completed artifacts? If the latter, will loosing artifacts cause more instances of fey moods?

If thats true it would be possible to dispose of your crappy artifacts (silk thongs and slate earings) in the hopes of generating more glamorous stuff?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

Oh man, can you just imagine the havoc an artifact adamantine weapon could wreak?  Put it in the hands of a rank amateur and you'd have a god of war on your hands.  Artifact adamantine armor would practically grant immortality.

And considering that artifacts can have up to 10 items in them... just think about one with 10 units of adamantine in it.  That's when you storm azgard and start dethroning the gods.

[ April 14, 2007: Message edited by: Fieari ]

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »

In response to Scribble's question...

Dwarves only enter fey moods if they have a crafting skill (like stone carving, metalsmithing, weaponsmithing, carpentery, etc.) and haven't hit legendary due to a fey mood before.

If your dwarves don't go fey any more, you might not have any non-legendary dwarves with crafting skills.  Even if a dwarf has a non-legendary crafting skill, he won't go fey if he has another crafting skill at legendary.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

Remember, even dabbling skill counts for fey moods. I just started working on a new fort lately, didn't bring along any mechanics so I just had my mechanisms made by anyone who wasn't busy at the time. When I got my first immigrants one of my farmers went into a fey mood and went from dabbling mechanic to legendary mechanic.

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 02:47:00 am »

quote:
Dwarves only enter fey moods if they have a crafting skill (like stone carving, metalsmithing, weaponsmithing, carpentery, etc.) and haven't hit legendary due to a fey mood before.

If your dwarves don't go fey any more, you might not have any non-legendary dwarves with crafting skills. Even if a dwarf has a non-legendary crafting skill, he won't go fey if he has another crafting skill at legendary

Hmm,I've still got scadds of dwarves with crafting skills who arnt at legendary and I've historically had several dwarves gget fey moods after achieving legindary status (where successfull completion resulted in no change to their stats other than a single ability raise)

In all my fortresses Fey moods have definately ceased by year 5 at latest. Are you sure theres not a 'cut off' mechanism?

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 10:32:00 am »

I think it may be related to the number of successful fey moods. I always end up with dwarves who want some rare gem or other, and I really can't be bothered to dig up the whole mountain for it, so they go insane rather than completing it. But the ridiculous fey moods keep on coming well past five years

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

On this note, I wish there were a better way for us to know exactly what the dwarf wants to create his life's work.

Tim

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »

No. That's part of the fun !:p

ChaosTheory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mzbundifund:
<STRONG>Dwarves only enter fey moods if they have a crafting skill (like stone carving, metalsmithing, weaponsmithing, carpentery, etc.) and haven't hit legendary due to a fey mood before.</STRONG>

Are you sure about the craftworking skill thing, because I've had children go fey and produce things, gaining Legendary skill in the process.  They stay children (so you have to wait for them to grow up to use their skills), but their name flashes.

quot;Sinister, it''s like diet evil" - Sinnyil

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »

Children will do whatever work they want to do, so often they will gain some skills in something - I had a child who seemed to be addicted to farming. He became proficient before he grew up, even though he didn't have to do any work.

Count Ringworm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 09:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosTheory:
<STRONG>

Are you sure about the craftworking skill thing, because I've had children go fey and produce things, gaining Legendary skill in the process.  They stay children (so you have to wait for them to grow up to use their skills), but their name flashes.</STRONG>

so THAT's what the flashing name means... dang, learn something new every day in this game!!

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mzbundifund:
<STRONG>In response to Scribble's question...

</STRONG>

I've had one dwarf gain Legendary Mining by fey-mooding.

Pages: [1] 2