Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132678 times)

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Officially warming up for testing.
« Reply #840 on: January 06, 2014, 06:44:28 am »

This I love:
2C01:  Eldrich 7
2C06:  Zentol 10
2C08:  Heavy Metal 8

Yups. Eldrich is weaker than Brutal Legend, and Zentol is the most powerful "theme". Of death.
I love this game.
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:44 am »

This I love:
2C01:  Eldrich 7
2C06:  Zentol 10
2C08:  Heavy Metal 8

Yups. Eldrich is weaker than Brütal Legend, and Zentol is the most powerful "theme". Of death.
I love this game.

Fixed that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 06, 2014, 03:02:14 pm »

Awareness should probably go.  But I would like to point out that it can be fun for the GM, if you're feeling devious.

Player rolled a three when they said an image word?  Roll awareness.  They get a two, you don't show the awareness roll and just say "nothing happens".  They get a three?  Describe it like it's a crude child's drawing.  They get a one?  Go crazy.  You can have fun with other things too, like not telling them anything happened when they roll a 3 for "blood", but adding "drops of blood on clothes" to their character sheet.  If you're feeling particularly evil, you can roll awareness even when they get a five on a spell.  If they get a six, describe the results like this.

That said, yeah, it's pretty much only useful for the GM to be a jerk.

Charsheet later.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:10 pm »

Perplexinauts? Scribblecon? Argh my head.

Though, it would be hilarious to add a "saturday morning cartoon" element to the whole thing.

"OH NO, IT'S DR. MALICE MAXIMUS, HELP US WIZARD FORCE"

"HAHA, WIZARD FORCE, ARE YOU PREPARED FOR MY OVERLY ELABORATE TRAP INVOLVING THIS ARCANE MOOSE AND THIS EXPLOSIVE TABLE!?"
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:09 pm »

Damn it, now it's sort of stuck in my head.

It'd probably work better as a FGR game instead of RTD, since the 1d6 mechanic would screw with the puzzle solving.  Perhaps have four or so contestants presented with a puzzle, with a different goal each time (most creative/destructive/elegant/simple etc).  There would be a panel of judges who vote to see which is best.  After a few rounds, a winner is declared.

The book is open to maximize creativity.

ALTERNATIVELY

Have more of an open system (RTD works more here.)  Ten players or so at a time, going through a series of traps.  The book is obscured, but all spell usage is open, allowing collaboration in terms of determining how to proceed.  A time limit would be enforced so people wouldn't simply science out the book and be done.  RTD failures would be present, and death is a real threat.  Either the starting ten tries to make it through a certain number of floors, and those who survive are winners, or give anyone who survives a floor a point and fill to max from the waitlist after each go.  Track per-level, best life, and career scores for each player.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #845 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:21 pm »

Damn it, now it's sort of stuck in my head.

It'd probably work better as a FGR game instead of RTD, since the 1d6 mechanic would screw with the puzzle solving.  Perhaps have four or so contestants presented with a puzzle, with a different goal each time (most creative/destructive/elegant/simple etc).  There would be a panel of judges who vote to see which is best.  After a few rounds, a winner is declared.

The book is open to maximize creativity.

ALTERNATIVELY

Have more of an open system (RTD works more here.)  Ten players or so at a time, going through a series of traps.  The book is obscured, but all spell usage is open, allowing collaboration in terms of determining how to proceed.  A time limit would be enforced so people wouldn't simply science out the book and be done.  RTD failures would be present, and death is a real threat.  Either the starting ten tries to make it through a certain number of floors, and those who survive are winners, or give anyone who survives a floor a point and fill to max from the waitlist after each go.  Track per-level, best life, and career scores for each player.
Feel free to do it if you like. The more perplexicon spinoffs and uses of my system, the stronger I become.

This damn gipsy curse restraining my dark powers was annoyingly specific.

Also I took today off to work on something else.

Something...different.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 06, 2014, 11:35:08 pm »

Quick! Everyone make Perplexicon spinoffs that use this system so that @Piecewise can use his dark powers to run another Perplexicon game that doesn't end from the sheer number of players! :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 06, 2014, 11:37:25 pm »

dudes let's set it up like a crazy japanese gameshow from the future

like, the japanese discover magic, and they use it in gameshows first because that's the best possible use of magic

wizards have to face crazy obstacles and other magical puzzles and shit, losers die (off camera, mostly) to keep the game running

announcers and stuff go ballistic

you can get fans for performing well

you can use the fans as ammunition

i think this is foolproof
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 06, 2014, 11:39:33 pm »

It's simple.

1. Take popular franchise. (Maybe Indiana Jones?)
2. People discover books of funny words.
3. They discover magic.
4. Game!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 06, 2014, 11:41:33 pm »

What about an Indiana Jones esque temple getting upgraded and renovated to be used for a japanese gameshows that feature the books of magic words found in it during the renovations?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 06, 2014, 11:44:34 pm »

also have rolls for the gameshow throwing curveballs

like swapping out your tome for a book-shaped block of C4

or swapping out your tome for 50 Shades of Grey

or swapping out your tome for a questionably horny giant squid

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 06, 2014, 11:49:30 pm »

Finally, give the announcer (or an assistant) a sniper rifle, and have them shoot the least interesting person each round.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 06, 2014, 11:51:43 pm »

What about an incredibly awkward game of perplexicon where the effects are assigned to random words/phrases from 50 Shades of Grey?
You could call it 50 Shades of Octarine.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 06, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »

That's forbidden under the Eighth Amendment.

What about an incredibly awkward game of perplexicon where the effects are assigned to random words/phrases from 50 Shades of Grey?
You could call it 50 Shades of Octarine.
That is horrible and yet potentially hilarious.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 07, 2014, 12:19:48 am »

Working on orange test update, found an issue with Flimsy's, AKA Elephant Parade's, action.
"Lightning" substituted for "Electricity", and "Templar"... No immediate counterpart found. Replaced with "Bushido". No problems with Bees or Beam.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 65