Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132708 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #765 on: January 01, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »

Also, out of curiosity, if I said "Wall Sheet Cone Wood Leather", would I have a ready made teepee?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 01, 2014, 03:32:12 pm »

Can I play again if the other guy doesn't show up?
Pool: 10

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #767 on: January 01, 2014, 04:09:04 pm »

Also, out of curiosity, if I said "Wall Sheet Cone Wood Leather", would I have a ready made teepee?
Maybe not exactly what you'd want, but you'd get a thin walled cone made of wood and leather.

Really, depending on GM interpretation, mixing forms tends to give you something thats more a fusion of those forms. Which is why something like "Halberd wheel" might get you a giant pizza cutter rather then a wheel at the end of a halberd pole.

Work continues by the way. I'm waiting for the "Calamitous" spammers that will no doubt happen. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 01, 2014, 05:53:56 pm »

You said four players, right?

Golden Mage
Speed 2
Combat 0
Pool 4
Potential 4
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #770 on: January 01, 2014, 09:44:23 pm »

Modifiers are described. We're getting pretty close here. Just have to finish the complex substances and targeting words. Then it all comes down to mechanics.

I'm considering removing pool. The potency requirements limit the amount of words you can use, obviously, and no one really likes sitting around, waiting for pool to recharge. Although, it does remove a tactical element of forcing someone to waste their pool before attacking...Opinions?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 01, 2014, 09:46:47 pm »

What? Remove pool? What will limit word usage?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 01, 2014, 09:47:46 pm »

I personally like having pool since it prevents the game from becoming a ridiculous mess of massive projectiles and music-genre influenced creatures.
 By the way, for Ambrosia, does it have to be consumed, or could you gas and/or inject it as well?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 01, 2014, 09:50:32 pm »

That's true, otherwise we gOt fifty zentols around and then the arena is doomed.

Hmmm, but then we have the negative modifiers (the minuses and pluses) that would help limit the usage of words.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #774 on: January 01, 2014, 10:39:44 pm »

What? Remove pool? What will limit word usage?
Like I said in the post the fact that words will be limited by potency scores will mean that the number of words you can use at a time will be limited more by what those words are then the simple number of them.

But whatever, pool can still be a thing, it's just a second limiter.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 01, 2014, 10:40:49 pm »

I think I'm failing to reconcile the new mechanics with how the old stats function.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #776 on: January 01, 2014, 11:26:34 pm »

I think I'm failing to reconcile the new mechanics with how the old stats function.

Basically, it's like this.

We now use dice pools of d6's.

For example, lets say your potency pool is 10 dice. That means you're gonna get, on average, about 5 successes (assuming 1-3 failure, 4-6 success)

Each word has a number assigned to it. That number is the number of successes you need in order to use that word.  So, say iron was 1 and sword was 2, then iron sword would be 1+2 = 3. So to summon an iron sword, you'd need to roll 3 successes with your dice pool. Fairly simple.

However, if zentol needs 7 successes, that means you're already outside the realm your average roll, meaning it has more of a chance to fail then succeed. Because of this, you'll need to manage the difficulty of the spell more then the sheer number of words.

This means that, even without pool, most people will have to restrain themselves if they actually want to be able to have a good chance to be successful.

Of course there's nothing to stop us from still using pool, it would just be a secondary limiter, meaning you have to both be careful of the words you use and when you use them.

I was just wondering, since it's not like pool had any effect, except in fights, and even then only to slow stuff down most of the time.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 02, 2014, 01:21:57 am »

Trying to determine both the function of a word and its point value may be quite a pain in an unknown word setting.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 02, 2014, 01:23:16 am »

Yeah get rid of pool then.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 02, 2014, 02:08:26 am »

Well, this "simplified stats" test is going with pool anyways, I already got it started.
Meta is seconds from escaping the caverns; they have lead him into a stone temple, he's in a long hall, and can see the light of day. He feels a tug on his leg and looks down to see a tripwire. In alarm, he reacts by closing his eyes and flailing wildly, but feels a tingly sensation. When he opens his eyes again, he is standing on a metal grate, on a platform suspended by steel cables that extend endlessly into the sky. He can see 3 other platforms, equally level with his, around the same size, and on one of them, Flimsy! He doesn't seem to bear any scars or burns anymore, let alone be dead. He also sees two other combatants on the other platforms.
Looking down, there is a larger platform suspended from the four they stand on.
Blistering winds and wisps of fog blow by, and the metal platforms are gathering ice from the altitude. No other platforms are visible but the ones that make up the arena, and all the cables lead upwards... Before anyone can think of escape, a voice intones, as if produced by the vibrations of the cables themselves:

"Escape will be rewarded to the victor. Fight to the death, for the amusement of the deities."
Fight!

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 65