Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132654 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #540 on: December 13, 2013, 08:16:11 pm »

Force Adamantine Aura!
[Pot:1+2]
You summon up an aura of weak force with a few floating bits of adamantine in it. It will fade after this round.

((I just went off GWG's count of points.  Pretty sure it was 10, though.))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BlackSulphur ScatterShot at Elephant Man!
Oh hell yes.
Oh, also, going to post character sheet right under this in a second

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---
You know, imbue words would be nice. Also, words such as Overdrive (effect becomes much greater- fire sword and Overdrive Fire Sword- the Overdrive one has mastery of fire, and a single swing might be able to melt steel and launch fireballs, but come at a very heavy cost, such as every use permanently reducing a stat.

Maybe a word for Shifting/Staged? Clockwork kinda works if I wanted a shortsword that folded out into a 2H sword, but maybe I want something else thematically... just an idea.

Include a fantasy Base that reacts VERY violently with the current Acid?

I'd personally like to see a new section of descriptors, that could kinda produce stuff like Zeus Stone, but in more words. Piezoelectric fungus: don't step on it. That kind of thing.

Also, sound attacks sure are fun. Especially since I just watched the latest Kill la Kill, i.e, the latter half of the fight with Jazakure. She was in a giant blimp that fired music lasers and recorder missiles.

---

Also, if you've got rock and roll, why not include other types of music/have a little addendum for those who would want to, if you don't want to add a fuckton of words to the list. I really want a "Fanfare/Big Band" word.

((Assuming I can bastardize "RocknRoll" and get away with it))
Raise hands into the air, as though conducting an orchestra. After bouncing each hand four times to the beat, shout
Symphonic Sound Force Shockwave Explode-Around
while continuing to conduct the hallucinatory band.
((Assuming I am the chosen one by the gods of rock))
Wave to the invisible crowds, then pretend to grab a guitar. Shout
Rock n Roll Sound Force Shockwave Explode-Around
while strumming on the air guitar.

[Toaster pot:3+1]
[Toaster dex:4+1]

Toaster fires a a half dozen dirt clod like pieces of Black Sulfur at Elephant's head.

(really need a map for Tsuchi's thing, since right now who knows where he is and if he's hitting anyone. And if he's hitting everyone then EXPLODE AROUND OP PLZ NERF. SO this is the new map

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idenu90sz444t02/test%20chamber%20number%20fuck%20you.png

You're all labelled. Those boxes are generic, semi-indestructible cover. Have fun.)

We're gonna say You run up to Great to use this.

[pot:6]

You run straight up to the dragon sorcerer and throw up the horns as you shout your words. With the sound of a guitar riff an explosion of sound and force detonates around you; spreading out as a solid phalanx wall of power sliding hair metal singers formed from pure, concentrated kinetic force and drum solos.

Ok, GWG and elephant, react (Gwg's action will go after his reaction.)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 13, 2013, 08:18:43 pm »

Dodge.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 13, 2013, 08:26:54 pm »

Dodge a pure wall of sound?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 13, 2013, 08:27:40 pm »

music lasers
Ow. My head.

Aw, why me?

"Solid Force Aura! Dragon-Armor! Elephant Mage, shall we band together?"

((New suggestion for a word: Draconic. It would be like Insect, Cephalopod, or Victorian, except scalier.))

Ninja:
Yes. Apparently. I think my plan is better.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #544 on: December 13, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »

Dodge.
[Speed:1-1]
You pull a gohan.

[end:2-1]

Allow me to quote from the substance description:
A black powder that causes most substances, especially organic substances to rapidly dehydrate and catch on fire.

A big lump of black sulfur catches you straight in the face and promptly jams itself up your nose and in your mouth. Your head then proceeds to shrivel like a mummified raisin and catch on fire.

You are very dead.

(DIIIIIIICE!)

music lasers
Ow. My head.

Aw, why me?

"Solid Force Aura! Dragon-Armor! Elephant Mage, shall we band together?"

((New suggestion for a word: Draconic. It would be like Insect, Cephalopod, or Victorian, except scalier.))

Ninja:
Yes. Apparently. I think my plan is better.
[pot:3]
Your aura of force (You don't have the channeling for 3 words, ya goose) doesn't stop the power of rock.
[end:3+1]
Luckily the aura plus a bit of your own natural endurance let you mostly tank the blow, though it does send you tumbling head over heels into the far wall.

Great, you can now act, if you want.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 13, 2013, 09:14:21 pm »

Why do dice hate me so much? :'(

Seriously, I have now been taken out by atrocious rolls two tests in a row.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 13, 2013, 09:24:22 pm »

I figure you can't go wrong with igniting organic substances.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #547 on: December 13, 2013, 09:24:44 pm »

Why do dice hate me so much? :'(

Seriously, I have now been taken out by atrocious rolls two tests in a row.
The gods of random chance see your zero'd out stats and laugh at the pain they can cause.

I assume.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 13, 2013, 10:21:53 pm »

Told you my plan was better!

(You don't have the channeling for 3 words, ya goose)
Still in last-game mode. I'm not used to respawning so fast!

"Dragon Charge!"
Run at Tsuchi, hitting him with my forceful aura! And my fists.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #549 on: December 14, 2013, 10:45:39 am »

Told you my plan was better!

(You don't have the channeling for 3 words, ya goose)
Still in last-game mode. I'm not used to respawning so fast!

"Dragon Charge!"
Run at Tsuchi, hitting him with my forceful aura! And my fists.
You charge at Tsuchi, fists raised above your head, screaming angrily about some sort of ruined alliance and rigged dice.

Hey tsuchi, react!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #550 on: December 14, 2013, 11:15:47 pm »

So while we wait for mr. Tsuchi to show up, I'll tell you about my idea for how to handle potency in the new game.

Basically, the idea is to use dice pools of d6's. 1 is a negative success, 2-3 are failures, 4 and 5 successes, 6 two successes, or, numerically
1=-1
2=0
3=0
4=1
5=1
6=2

Now, each word would have a certain number of successes attached to it; the simple, less dangerous words need fewer successes, more complex, dangerous words need more. Adding up all the successes of all the words gets you the target number of successes for the spell to function. You need to roll that many for it to work. Roll less and maybe some of the words fail to have effect, or if you roll really bad, maybe they back fire. Roll better and the spell is stronger.

I've also considered having words that actually have a negative success score. Ie something like Tiny might have a score of -2.

So

Adamantine: 4
Sword:1
has a difficulty of 5, while
Tiny:-2
Adamantine:4
Sword:1
Has a difficulty of 2.

To actually give people a reason to use words like that more often.  After all, in a fight it's better to have a adamantine letter opener then nothing at all.

Opinions? Questions?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 14, 2013, 11:19:08 pm »

I like that idea. Some kind of balancing factor is virtually vital.
Sig

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 14, 2013, 11:33:55 pm »

That may solve the issues with the monotony of the arcane beam arms races from the arena phase. Plus I like the idea that tin openers, due to their lower difficulty, are greater conduits for magic than swords.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #553 on: December 15, 2013, 10:55:50 am »

Plus it means theres a degree of uncertainty in casting. For you to be pretty sure that you're gonna succeed you'll need restrain yourself to spells that seem like you could definitely manage them; but if you're desperate, you could go for something big and hope luck is on your side.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 15, 2013, 11:11:41 am »

Here's a question.

If you don't have enough successes, what happens? Do elements start dropping out--e.g, an Adamantine [4] Lead [1] Sword [2] with 5 successes is a chunk of lead-adamantine alloy--or would extra minuses come in--e.g, that Leadamantine sword would get Tiny [-2] added--or would it explode or something with a danger depending on how much you failed by/the power of the spell, or would it just fail, Or what?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 65