Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132381 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #375 on: September 30, 2013, 01:49:43 pm »

There should be a word for spider silk.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2013, 02:19:33 pm »

Moahaha i shall beat you GreatWyrm :P Did you enjoy the magma rain? (Because i sure did the first turn ;_;)
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 30, 2013, 03:01:16 pm »

Really? I couldn't tell. I was too busy successfully dodging and watching you get burnt to death by your own spell.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 30, 2013, 03:17:52 pm »

You realize that you are the only ones playing, and that it might be a tad boring, right?

Anyway, I don't know how much people there is in that forum.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #379 on: September 30, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »

Really? I couldn't tell. I was too busy successfully dodging and watching you get burnt to death by your own spell.
You realize it was an op error xd? He rolled awareness when it should have been dexterity. In the one he did right you re burning down to death right now.

Tomcost: 1000 somewhat. And well, unless you want to join :P Im hoping perhaps more people gets in later on...
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 30, 2013, 04:03:53 pm »

Nah, I already have too much Perplexicon with two different games here.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #381 on: September 30, 2013, 04:07:47 pm »

Nah, I already have too much Perplexicon with two different games here.
There is never enough Perplexicon, just to little time.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 30, 2013, 08:36:41 pm »

You realize it was an op error xd? He rolled awareness when it should have been dexterity. In the one he did right you re burning down to death right now.
I'm not seeing any "one done right". I've reloaded the page a bunch of times, and hey when did another page come up?
Ah. You jerk. Why are you trying to kill me before I can figure out how to kill you properly?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 01, 2013, 01:03:08 pm »

By the way, I've been thinking about counter spelling, so opinions on that are welcome too.
Doesnt Dispel word do that?
Dispel as a function could be a component of counterspelling, but it's not sufficient as such. In order to function as a counterspell, the spell must "override" the normal order the spells are cast in - i.e. it must be an instantaneous effect. Plus, "dispel" unravels an existing spell. Counterspell takes effect before the spell is even cast.

I'm starting to think that it won't work as a spontaneous spell. Perplexicon is all about emergent mechanics, and making a specific counterspell word is a little too direct.

Maybe counterspelling could be a pre-cast effect? I.e. a compound effect with a specific conditional trigger. I haven't read the list of words in Perplexicon, but how long a sentence would it take to have an effect a-la "Prepare antimagic spell, release against next spell cast within my vicinity/earshot". Maybe Dispel could be recycled for the purpose, to avoid adding another word with a similar effect, and the rest could be a single "store and release against next spell cast" word, with more words clarifying things like "where I'm pointing" or "targeting me".

A simple counterspell would then be two words, i.e. "Counter Dispel", with more elaborate and useful versions being longer.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #384 on: October 01, 2013, 01:17:12 pm »

By the way, I've been thinking about counter spelling, so opinions on that are welcome too.
Doesnt Dispel word do that?
Dispel as a function could be a component of counterspelling, but it's not sufficient as such. In order to function as a counterspell, the spell must "override" the normal order the spells are cast in - i.e. it must be an instantaneous effect. Plus, "dispel" unravels an existing spell. Counterspell takes effect before the spell is even cast.

I'm starting to think that it won't work as a spontaneous spell. Perplexicon is all about emergent mechanics, and making a specific counterspell word is a little too direct.

Maybe counterspelling could be a pre-cast effect? I.e. a compound effect with a specific conditional trigger. I haven't read the list of words in Perplexicon, but how long a sentence would it take to have an effect a-la "Prepare antimagic spell, release against next spell cast within my vicinity/earshot". Maybe Dispel could be recycled for the purpose, to avoid adding another word with a similar effect, and the rest could be a single "store and release against next spell cast" word, with more words clarifying things like "where I'm pointing" or "targeting me".

A simple counterspell would then be two words, i.e. "Counter Dispel", with more elaborate and useful versions being longer.
Drain Magic allows you to drain your opponent out of magic... And you can already do ´´Whole body dispel magic`` which protects you agaisnt non stable elements (And is yet to see agaisnt stable) such as fireballs and blackholes, while allowing you to cast magic yourself...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 01, 2013, 07:51:35 pm »

Contingency words sound neat. "If I am targeted by an attack, trigger this spell." "If I fall more than 5 feet, trigger this spell." "If I cast two spells, trigger this spell." "If I die, cast this spell." Standard stuff. Maybe limit total contingencies at once, though.
Sig

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #386 on: October 02, 2013, 01:06:27 am »

Contingency words sound neat. "If I am targeted by an attack, trigger this spell." "If I fall more than 5 feet, trigger this spell." "If I cast two spells, trigger this spell." "If I die, cast this spell." Standard stuff. Maybe limit total contingencies at once, though.
I had been thinking about a On Death word for quite a while, but always forgot to post it :P

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #387 on: October 04, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »

What about... NPC TIME?
Lets design some NPCs

Those were some of my suggestions to Syvarris game, along with the new four gods:

Techno-Mage: Uses overall the words for Machine and Clockwork, and has knowledge to create stuff such as magic batteries (Metal Cylinder Absorb Magic Inject Magic, for example).

Soul Armor: An soul bound to an armor, uncapable of doing magic, but the armor itself is enchanted with many different abilities, and has great endurance.

The Merged: Basically an NPC of what would happen if seven people got fused in an Fusion Circle. (Perhaps each one prays to a different god?)

Crystal-Plant Controller: Likes to create stuff such as crystal trees which feed on lakes made out of pure liquid crystal.

Demiurghe: All that it does is create and modify creatures, for example, if you were to fight it, it wouldnt cast a fireball, but rather create a fireman for it to fight you. Has high channeling, potency and will (Will is basically needed to control creatures and modify them once created). Phisically wise isnt big thing, but wears an living armor which can cast spells and has various dangerous blades.

Lich: Nul-Sheal (Or whatever god is the one that gives you control of specific materials) with control over Necromantic power. It has great power, both phisically and magic wise, his body is made out of steel bones with necromantic aura. Posess a steel/bone (Probably a staff made out of steel which ends in a skull) staff which fires ´´Enhanced Necromantic-Power Beam Explode Necromantic Gas``, and a ´´Cold Life Drain Steel Dagger``, a robe flexible and light as cloth but resistant as steel, and an helmet/crown which gives control over Ice, Steel, Bones, Flesh and Darkness. Really dangerous, overall considering it likes to give life to abominations made out of the bones and flesh of his fallens enemies.

I may go more in detail about each one later.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 08, 2013, 10:18:37 am »

Sarzael got turned into an angel zombie, decapitated GWG, and proceeded to explode in a shower of gore as another guy hit him with a windy deer-beam.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 08, 2013, 10:19:31 am »

Wait, what?

Oh, that was three minutes ago.

Also, what?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 65