Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132437 times)

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #330 on: September 29, 2013, 02:19:24 pm »

You see people do this in DnD occasionally: Someone will insist that their character is surely the best character ever, and could beat everyone elses character in a fight. It's kinda embarrassing but what're you gonna do?
That has nothing to do. Im saying, i knew the whole wordlist in that game since it was the same as in Perplexicon, while that no one else on those forums did. Thus my victory was pretty much safe.
First Turn: Enhanced Arcane-Energy Whole-body.
Second Turn: Increase-Potency Increase-Dext Increase-Pool.
Third Turn: Increase-Speed Increase-Str Increase-Will.
Fourth Turn: Control What-Im-Thinking-Of Ring.
Five Turn: Kill everyone.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 29, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »

Except that would be boring and pointless. It defeats the whole purpose of the game.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #332 on: September 29, 2013, 02:20:50 pm »

Well, yeah. So what? Anybody in this thread could say the same thing.

Edit - Ninja'd!

Here, If you want a challenge, as opposed to a curb stomp battle, why don't you join my game? Be far more interesting.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #333 on: September 29, 2013, 02:21:24 pm »

Except that would be boring and pointless. It defeats the whole purpose of the game.
True :P. But if i knew half the Perplexicon wordlist of memory its not like i can do anything about it.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 29, 2013, 02:24:56 pm »

True :P. But if i knew half the Perplexicon wordlist of memory its not like i can do anything about it.
Of course, that does bring an interesting idea... what about a perplexicon game where every word is known from the start but the syntax to utilize them is unknown? So whilst everyone would know words such as wings and wax, they wouldn't actually be able to pull an Icarus without knowing the correct syntax...

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #335 on: September 29, 2013, 02:30:00 pm »

Of course, that does bring an interesting idea... what about a perplexicon game where every word is known from the start but the syntax to utilize them is unknown? So whilst everyone would know words such as wings and wax, they wouldn't actually be able to pull an Icarus without knowing the correct syntax...
Mind bringing an example?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 29, 2013, 02:36:18 pm »

Basically, every word has an associated syntax and must be utilized in that manner. So for example, if a specific word has two 'slots' one before, and one after it, in order to actually use it properly, those two slots have to be filled. If for example it meant "bow" and one word determines the actual bow and the other determined the string, you couldn't just say "steel bow" in order to make a steel bow, you would have to obey the syntax and say "steel bow steel" or some such. Essentially, as well as bringing in an interesting variation, simply saying a single word to find out what it does no longer becomes feasible, instead people will have to say multiple words in order to find out an effect thus increasing the chances of !!FUN!!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 29, 2013, 02:41:06 pm »

That is the main reason why I didn't post it here.
I though so. If i just had found it some weeks ago i would have destroyed, not killed, every single other player.

Why are you so convicted at being the #1 best player at Perplexicon everywhere? I've never heard someone say they could wreck people on other forums.
You realize i was the only player to find it, and that i knew the whole wordlist and no one else on the other forums knew more than 10 words. 3 Channeling and in my first turn i would cast an Enhanced Arcane-Energy Where-im-thinking-of. One person shall be desintegrated that turn.

You're hypothesizing about now going to another forum, with a completely different community, to sign up for a game with your assumed combo which would have you win, all for the purpose of beating them and becoming king of Perplexicon.

That's bad.

And you also always have your scenarios turn out to have the dice always rolling in your favor. Do you work at Random.org or something?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #338 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:24 pm »

I though so. If i just had found it some weeks ago i would have destroyed, not killed, every single other player.

Why are you so convicted at being the #1 best player at Perplexicon everywhere? I've never heard someone say they could wreck people on other forums.
You realize i was the only player to find it, and that i knew the whole wordlist and no one else on the other forums knew more than 10 words. 3 Channeling and in my first turn i would cast an Enhanced Arcane-Energy Where-im-thinking-of. One person shall be desintegrated that turn.

You're hypothesizing about now going to another forum, with a completely different community, to sign up for a game with your assumed combo which would have you win, all for the purpose of beating them and becoming king of Perplexicon.

That's bad.

And you also always have your scenarios turn out to have the dice always rolling in your favor. Do you work at Random.org or something?
Assumed? That combo was tested and Derm saw it, so i would assume it would have a atleast similar effect.
And the dice would roll in my favour because i would have +2 to every stats and +3 to potency and will, and 6 channeling, within four turns.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »

I'mma make a Perplexicon on Spec-Evo. It shall be good.
Evoluticon...Could you link when you do so? Or maybe I could try something fusing evolution with Perplexicon better...somehow...

Simple. You know that, say, "Ooglie" is wax and "Boogly" is wing, and Ooglie Boogly and Boogly Ooglie have the same result...but that's because neither has a verb. And you don't know how word order affects conjunction or any of that.
...Okay, a bit weak perhaos, but with more than these 10 seconds' though I could probably figure something out.

That's bad.
Agreed on all counts.
...Wait, I'm agreeing with TCM?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 29, 2013, 02:51:54 pm »

Basically, every word has an associated syntax and must be utilized in that manner. So for example, if a specific word has two 'slots' one before, and one after it, in order to actually use it properly, those two slots have to be filled. If for example it meant "bow" and one word determines the actual bow and the other determined the string, you couldn't just say "steel bow" in order to make a steel bow, you would have to obey the syntax and say "steel bow steel" or some such. Essentially, as well as bringing in an interesting variation, simply saying a single word to find out what it does no longer becomes feasible, instead people will have to say multiple words in order to find out an effect thus increasing the chances of !!FUN!!
I forgot to mention that words would have deference chains, where they would defer to another word that would be valid in that syntax, this includes elements which transmute in accordance to the deference of the rest of the spell, so whilst someone could test the syntax of a word by using entirely safe substances, the deference and transmutation result may not necessarily be safe, furthermore, if someone knows enough of the deference chain of a word and the transmutation pattern of an element, they could 'bluff' by saying the spell out loud with incorrect syntax in order to achieve a different effect and catch enemies off-guard.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 29, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »

@GWG: It's really just a little Perplexicon game made on the Spec-Evo website. Nothing to do with Speculative Evolution, although attention for the site shouldn't hurt.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/5242406/1/

The world list is rather small right now, but it's all original.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #342 on: September 29, 2013, 02:53:52 pm »

I'mma make a Perplexicon on Spec-Evo. It shall be good.
Evoluticon...Could you link when you do so? Or maybe I could try something fusing evolution with Perplexicon better...somehow...

Simple. You know that, say, "Ooglie" is wax and "Boogly" is wing, and Ooglie Boogly and Boogly Ooglie have the same result...but that's because neither has a verb. And you don't know how word order affects conjunction or any of that.
...Okay, a bit weak perhaos, but with more than these 10 seconds' though I could probably figure something out.

That's bad.
Agreed on all counts.
...Wait, I'm agreeing with TCM?
And im not assuming it would have happened if i had found it some weeks ago... Well not, because im lazy and im on other Perp like game.
And as i said, with some time and all the words dice always roll in your favour.

@GWG: It's really just a little Perplexicon game made on the Spec-Evo website. Nothing to do with Speculative Evolution, although attention for the site shouldn't hurt.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/5242406/1/

The world list is rather small right now, but it's all original.

Original? What do you mean? Totally new meanings? If its all original, wont there be things like Fire? Or you mean just new words with same meanings? In which case theres a random word generator. Generate around 75 words and done.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 29, 2013, 02:56:04 pm »

And the dice would roll in my favour because i would have +2 to every stats and +3 to potency and will, and 6 channeling, within four turns.

But...no. The dice don't work like that. There's the whole thing where none of that actually happens because you fucked up.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 29, 2013, 02:58:46 pm »

There's also the fact that if you tried to pull that I would have booted you out of the game for knowing the list.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 65