Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132495 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2013, 07:32:39 pm »

Let me just remind you that PW's interpretation of the concept words stayed in his head.  The legacy of them is a list of single-word translations and the effects of the ones we did see.  That means for the words we didn't see in action, all that we have are my interpretation of them.

And I can tell you I didn't use all of them, and then I went and added some things that weren't there in the first place.

Combining the more esoteric words can give you strange and wonderful things.  Someone in Pit was a bad roll away from making something really cool, and I can use my full knowledge of the wordlist to make really neat things for NPC bosses to throw at you.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #316 on: September 24, 2013, 01:12:19 am »

Being done.

Hey Sar, watch the quotes please.

You dont seem to understand how Dispel Magic works at all.
To be fair, you don't either. It's never been used in Pit. If it's actually "Antimagic" or something like that...
Besides, that was merely the most amusing possible flaw in your plan.

It dispels incoming magic, not internal magic. You wont dispel yourself, just things coming.
1. Again, you are assuming things.
2. Wouldn't this mean that you would still be affected by environment-changing magic? Spell resistance doesn't work on lightning bolts aimed at the ceiling.

And yes, you could throw big objects to me, thats what extra dexterity and speed is for, helping avoid.
So, you're betting that we can't make homing projectiles, or undodgeable ones, or a lot of them?

And magic projectiles (Fireball, or plain metal casted by magic) will dissapear.
If Dispel Magic only affects magic (and if it doesn't, it needs to be renamed), it would at most remove the magical component of the metal's velocity. Are you going to claim that it would also destroy a magically-summoned axe someone swung at you?

And using Base Perplexicon, Dispel Magic makes you immune to all kinds of magic except marks, that includes will.
I believe I prefaced that with a "Depending on how that works".

And Repulsive-Energy-Steel cage would dissapear as soon as i get close.
Why?

Think of Null Sword. I would be just like that but in whole body. A fireball comes towards me? It dissapears without harm. You could take down the ceiling, again, thats what dext and speed are there for. Not invulnerable, but way harder to kill.
Again, taking down the ceiling would be impossible to dodge, not just difficult, because it's a whole ceiling.

And quicksilver only reflects Arcane Energy, not magic dispelling, thus it would dissapear.
I wasn't serious about the reflecting the dispelling, but I was serious about things summoned by magic possessing their own ontological inertia. In case I'm just being too sesquidepellian and locquacious, that means that magically-created items do not need magic to exist.

I dont need endurance and strenght: Arcane energy doesnt need strenght rolls to explode stuff, and theres no point on resisting stuff if you hardly get hit (Magic immune, except for Marks) and extra dexterity.
You need Strength rolls to move stuff, especially stuff that can't be exploded, and are you really claiming you won't get hit?

+2 Endurance would be what you get from overdriving 6 channeling.
I see. And how often can you do that?

And you can say *If person gets nearby, overdrive 3 speed (Would make either +2 or +3 depending on normal stats) and chances are he will explode or you are atleast able to get out of there.
Which was this referring to?

Finally, in case i was wrong, thats not lieing, is called being wrong. And im pretty sure im not, perhaps in Pit of Magic, but im speaking about Perplexicon base, with gods, circles and open world.
1. You claimed you had a way to be invincible and then admitted you didn't.
2. It was a(n attempted) joke!

I know of atleast three games with Perplexicon Base/Near Base.
Operative word: Near Base.
Until we Science it, we can't know how Pit of Magic's antimagic word works. All we can do is guess.

And i like to discuss good strategies no one considered.
...while I like to point out the problems you haven't considered.
Pit of Magic Pit of Magic Pit of Magic, im talking about strategies that would have worked in Perplexicon, there isnt enough knowledge about Pit of Magic to see if it would work there too.
Im not assuming anything, Dispel Magic was used in Perplexicon, and Null Sword, dispelling magic, didnt just make the fireball stand quiet with the sword, the whole fireball dissapeared in contact with the sword, without exploding.

Yes, im pretty sure homing projectiles are possible, but from the little uses that Dispel Magic were used at, they would dissapear without harm.
Every three turns, but if i roll a big speed roll it wont matter because by the time someone manages to move a finger i will have exploded half the people in the game.

Well, you wouldnt like to fight anyone with that body, wether it is or not invencible.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 24, 2013, 08:01:50 am »

Pit of Magic Pit of Magic Pit of Magic, im talking about strategies that would have worked in Perplexicon, there isnt enough knowledge about Pit of Magic to see if it would work there too.
Then why did you start the discussion in Pit of Magic, by saying "I bet I could make myself invincible with 6 Pool"?

Im not assuming anything, Dispel Magic was used in Perplexicon, and Null Sword, dispelling magic, didnt just make the fireball stand quiet with the sword, the whole fireball dissapeared in contact with the sword, without exploding.
Fireballs lack ontological inertia; without magic, they cannot exist. Would the same happen if someone summoned a sword or something and flynned with Null?

Yes, im pretty sure homing projectiles are possible, but from the little uses that Dispel Magic were used at, they would dissapear without harm.
Why do you think that?

Every three turns, but if i roll a big speed roll it wont matter because by the time someone manages to move a finger i will have exploded half the people in the game.
Important bit bolded. And do you really think that, being the biggest threat in the game, people wouldn't keep trying to cover you in black holes and collapsed ceilings? Exploding half the people in the game means the other half will be attacking you (as will those in the attacked half who you don't kill).

Well, you wouldnt like to fight anyone with that body, wether it is or not invencible.
Not directly, but there are ways to avoid that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #318 on: September 24, 2013, 08:13:23 am »

Then why did you start the discussion in Pit of Magic, by saying "I bet I could make myself invincible with 6 Pool"?

Fireballs lack ontological inertia; without magic, they cannot exist. Would the same happen if someone summoned a sword or something and flynned with Null?

Why do you think that?

Important bit bolded. And do you really think that, being the biggest threat in the game, people wouldn't keep trying to cover you in black holes and collapsed ceilings? Exploding half the people in the game means the other half will be attacking you (as will those in the attacked half who you don't kill).

Not directly, but there are ways to avoid that.
First i didnt bet anything, and i started in Pit of Magic with a spell about how to make magic batteries, and stuff went weird about people saying that they would be able to do super powerful things with few words, so i just put my grain of salt there, but even in the Mana Batteries i was speaking Perp-Base, and i said it clear. Many times.

And killing half of the people in the game means atleast... 4 Souls. 3 Endurance and 1 to Strenght. Now im stronger :P
I dont know about other items, but that can be fixed with magic marks (Stuff like Repair Wholebody works) or just adding an resistant core to the equation, and recast the body when my arcane energies run out. Also if i didnt tell, by the beggining people wouldnt know that i dispel magic and they would uselessly throw Blackholes (Which would dissapear just like Fireballs, the most they would do i guess would be throwing me around a bit), and i would be feed some souls before they realize how they would be able to stop me, and i can put those to Endurance or Speed to survive.

The cavern can be easily fixed by moving each turn. *Go to X zone and attempt to explode everyone on my way*. Of course, if you stay quiet on a zone the chances of death increase, but i have a bonus to dext and speed, and i will be using it.

The only way i see to break this would be (Targeting word that affects person using this spell, Whole Body, Something that doesnt dispel magic, or even better, Targeting word, Left Arm, Blackhole)
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #319 on: September 28, 2013, 08:15:46 pm »

So just a bit of a heads up on whats going on.

Work sort of stalled out there for a while because of IRL shit. You know how that goes, I'm sure. I'm currently thinking about extremely hazardous words. CLF3, hyper ebola, Void (Black hole) and the like. Would like to have a few more then I have, so if you've got ideas, I'm open to them.

Now, beyond that, I've been working with the extremely helpful and talented Bigf00t, who has been writing up a random word generator and word translator that looks like it will be quite useful. In addition to that I've been working on a "endless arena generator", a big fat roll chart that can be used to basically create a, well, endless arena/dungeon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 28, 2013, 08:49:50 pm »

I've actually forgotten how your plan would work. Make yourself out of magical energy that negates magic, then make yourself really fast...is that the gist of it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:29:09 pm by Sarzael »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 29, 2013, 01:09:28 pm »

Should I sign up just to join?...
Sig

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #323 on: September 29, 2013, 01:23:05 pm »

Should I sign up just to join?...
Apparently is dead.
To bad, if i had found it before i would have been able to become the final power, considering the wordlist is the same and all the words have same meanings as in Perplexicon...

Seeing this map, it seems it took some arena stuff from Pit of Magic, the Endless Chasm and the Horizontal Spike room are suspiciously similar.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:31:58 pm by Sarzael »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 29, 2013, 02:09:14 pm »

That is the main reason why I didn't post it here.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #325 on: September 29, 2013, 02:10:15 pm »

I though so. If i just had found it some weeks ago i would have destroyed, not killed, every single other player.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 29, 2013, 02:11:28 pm »

I'mma make a Perplexicon on Spec-Evo. It shall be good.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »

I though so. If i just had found it some weeks ago i would have destroyed, not killed, every single other player.

Why are you so convicted at being the #1 best player at Perplexicon everywhere? I've never heard someone say they could wreck people on other forums.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #328 on: September 29, 2013, 02:16:41 pm »

Why are you so convicted at being the #1 best player at Perplexicon everywhere? I've never heard someone say they could wreck people on other forums.
You realize i was the only player to find it, and that i knew the whole wordlist and no one else on the other forums knew more than 10 words. 3 Channeling and in my first turn i would cast an Enhanced Arcane-Energy Where-im-thinking-of. One person shall be desintegrated that turn.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #329 on: September 29, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »

You see people do this in DnD occasionally: Someone will insist that their character is surely the best character ever, and could beat everyone elses character in a fight. It's kinda embarrassing but what're you gonna do?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 65