Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132666 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2013, 03:03:26 am »

I do like Mutate, it opens up more options, and makes body words more diverse.

I was going to suggest words for every individual organ, which might be a little crazy, and partially useless-i mean, a word for heart is going to be useful for suicide, and that's about it, unless someone goes crazy with a damage system and getting stabbed in the heart is not something people talk about when it's happening.

OH GOD I TURNED MY LIVER INTO BEEEEEEEEES!
One dude converted lung into kittens, remember?
...Should we have a "maintain function" word? So that people can enchant swords into slabs of cement that still can cut through things as efficiently as the original sword despite being completely blunt. And so that people can turn their lungs into kittens and survive without any resultant health problems.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2013, 03:06:19 am »

I was going to suggest words for every individual organ, which might be a little crazy, and partially useless-i mean, a word for heart is going to be useful for suicide, and that's about it, unless someone goes crazy with a damage system and getting stabbed in the heart is not something people talk about when it's happening.

...Should we have a "maintain function" word? So that people can enchant swords into slabs of cement that still can cut through things as efficiently as the original sword despite being completely blunt. And so that people can turn their lungs into kittens and survive without any resultant health problems.
You can say Sharp Cement Sword or Kitten Lungs(Form) Lungs(Bodypart).
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2013, 03:07:12 am »

Uh... why would that be? A blunt sword is not sharp, a kitten is not a liver. If you want to live, don't turn your liver into kittens. I don't think it's a good idea, and frankly it feels like cheating and not being creative.

And that's ignoring the fact the sword could be used for a long of stuff besides it's "function". Objects don't have functions, they just have things they are used for.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:09:32 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2013, 03:10:19 am »

Hmm, is there a word for Nanobots/Nanotech? Because there should be. A liver made of nano-kitten-bots should work. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2013, 03:12:02 am »

Hmm, is there a word for Nanobots/Nanotech? Because there should be. A liver made of nano-kitten-bots should work. :P
Small? I guess using small and getting a potency roll 3 would create something size of a nano.
Has anyone tried stacking words, like: Small Small Small Small Small Small Small Kitten Liver?
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2013, 03:14:22 am »

Small? I guess using small and getting a potency roll 3 would create something size of a nano.
Has anyone tried stacking words, like: Small Small Small Small Small Small Small Kitten Liver?
Small^7 Kitten Liver? Should we introduce equations into this?

But yeah, Nano-words would be cool. For the optional stuff, not mandatory.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2013, 03:18:23 am »

No, specifically nanobots, or nanotech. There's a difference between just very small and "nanotech". Nanobots would create a vaguely sentient form comprised of tiny robots that would attempt to reform themselves when damaged, and consume energy and/or matter to do so - while still performing the original function of the form.

An overshot would probably have them consume a chunk of the environment to create a sentient golem based on the form.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2013, 03:19:55 am »

No, specifically nanobots, or nanotech. There's a difference between just very small and "nanotech". Nanobots would create a vaguely sentient form comprised of tiny robots that would attempt to reform themselves when damaged, and consume energy and/or matter to do so - while still performing the original function of the form.

An overshot would probably have them consume a chunk of the environment to create a sentient golem based on the form.
Do we have a Golem word? Or life word, since the original golem was animated only after inscribing words on his forehead.

Actually, one of the things I would like to see, is an expansion on how the words are used. I mean, like in the example above, where they are inscribed on something, allowing you to affect already-created objects like golems. Of course, it would interfere with the simplicity and the purity of the game, so it's have to be an addition or an expansion. Huh, I seriously see Perplexicon becoming a popular franchise. It fills a niche that nobody else filled in even remotely comparable way. I think you're on to something, Piecewise.

But the point is, there are a lot of things that can be done with words besides saying them outloud.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:24:37 am by Thearpox »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2013, 03:41:52 am »

Now, that I think about it, and thinking back to Sean's idea of giving people different books...

Perplexicon concept could really allow for character specialization and classes. Especially with the right arena... What I mean by that, is that you could have normal word speakers; (like right now,) but also an Engraved class, which would have more raw power but have to prepare for engagements; the Otherplane class, which would focus on deals with otherwordly deities who would give them powers (Selling your soul several times to different entities may be a bad idea); the Sorcerers, who would be using their soul (or other's souls) directly, allowing them for much greater creativity and control, but burning their own soul in the process which would lead to their rapid decay and vampiric lifestyle; mayhaps the Thieves, who would be focuses on being hidden, and casting their spells with as little notice as possible, which would lead them to being less poverful but much more maneuvrable.

That's what like, 5 classes? Man, in my head, it's awesome. Piecewise must be reading this and thinking "I have just spent weeks on this, now you want to me start over?" But wait, that's not all!

With that kind of variation, maybe this system is even enough to warrant it's own world. Now all that is left, is to in addition to giving them their own class book, give each person a dozen unique words, with at least a couple useful ones. Plus, give them several words from the other classes to use. Now, you have several unique classes and playstyles, with additionally, each player having several cards hidden in his sleeve. In addition, several pages of the book could be missing. In my head, it sounds awesome.

EDIT: My brain churns on. Regarding the balance issues:

Spellcasters: What we have right now. Probably the most balanced. With proper strategy, has no advantages of disadvantages versus any other class.
Engravers: Time makes the stronger. Heavily fortified, the strongest. Probably the general strategy is creep. Getting them out of their comfort zone or doing something they haven't prepared for is key. Scouting is very useful. Besides that, don't see the obvious advantages or disadvantages.
Otherplaners (better name?): A Wild Card. Depending on what they get, can be the most unpredictable. Should probably make some crafty ways of dealing with them for each class, so they don't get too overpowered.
Sorcerers: If you can outlast them, you can beat them. It's an endurance battle. If anyone has an advantage against them, it's probably Thieves for their ability to make legs. Could possibly have an advantage over Engravers, due to the generally static nature of their work.
Thieves: The important part of this class is to make them able to disappear even if things go wrong, so there should be some skills/spells ascribed to that. Obviously, not a guarantee success of doing that every fight. Cornered, extremely weak. Should probably also have trap spells.

(And now I just feel like I'm making a TF2-style game. Oh god. Not that I don't feel that it's conceptually very well balanced, except for the maybe Otherplaners. But anyway, with all this crap added on, it makes me wonder how much the Perplexicon system would really remain integral to the experience. I mean, the point continues to be that no matter the class, you have to experiment with words, and while theoretically given the tools, you do not necessarily pocess even the majority of them. Expect maybe the general sections would have to be labeled, but that's it. But it does make me wonder how good this would be if we get those classes, spells, and skills, but without the exploration of different words part. Because done well, it would probably still be... an innovative take on TF2-like multiplayer with spells instead of guns? I dunno.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:15:53 am by Thearpox »

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2013, 04:45:56 am »

Do we have a Golem word? Or life word, since the original golem was animated only after inscribing words on his forehead.

Actually, one of the things I would like to see, is an expansion on how the words are used. I mean, like in the example above, where they are inscribed on something, allowing you to affect already-created objects like golems. Of course, it would interfere with the simplicity and the purity of the game, so it's have to be an addition or an expansion. Huh, I seriously see Perplexicon becoming a popular franchise. It fills a niche that nobody else filled in even remotely comparable way. I think you're on to something, Piecewise.

But the point is, there are a lot of things that can be done with words besides saying them outloud.
There is Life/Animate word. Also, Sentient word. You should read the already published list, is in the original perplexicon thread.
Also i attempted to bring the game to Starbound forums but roleplayers there dont seem to understand the deathmatch part and keep asking for a story.

Also i like the fact that there are no classes but you can use the ones you prefer. Gods already kind of give you classes, but its the word what defines your playstile.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:48:26 am by Sarzael »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2013, 04:53:22 am »

Thanks, and no, I have not read the published list, just skimmed it. I mean, the words on their own are meaningless, if you haven't played or followed there's no real reason to be curious. How do the words work, by which I mean how do you apply them to an object?

As for deathmatch, Perplexicon never was and isn't limited to deathmatches. I don't see why it can't have a story. Actually, I prefer story games myself to be honest. But yeah, forum differences. I'm assuming that as forum games evolve into their own mediumwe'll get better chanells and directories, and wikis for games and forums likes and habits.

Gods already kind of give you classes, but its the word what defines your playstile.
As I never really followed the original, I don't exactly know what you mean by Gods and classes.

And yeah, I can understand why no-classes could be preferable. But then again, specializations could allow additional depth. I suppose it would be a different game.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:10:06 am by Thearpox »

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2013, 05:36:41 am »

Thanks, and no, I have not read the published list, just skimmed it. I mean, the words on their own are meaningless, if you haven't played or followed there's no real reason to be curious. How do the words work, by which I mean how do you apply them to an object?

As for deathmatch, Perplexicon never was and isn't limited to deathmatches. I don't see why it can't have a story. Actually, I prefer story games myself to be honest. But yeah, forum differences. I'm assuming that as forum games evolve into their own mediumwe'll get better chanells and directories, and wikis for games and forums likes and habits.

Gods already kind of give you classes, but its the word what defines your playstile.
As I never really followed the original, I don't exactly know what you mean by Gods and classes.

And yeah, I can understand why no-classes could be preferable. But then again, specializations could allow additional depth. I suppose it would be a different game.
There were eight gods in the second part of the Original Perplexicon, each giving you a big boost to something. You could only follow one, if you changed god while already following one, the earlier god would mark you promising power to whoever kills you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, you should read the list because it tells the words there are and their translations. And Perplexicon HAD AN STORY, it was the second part which came after Null death, an open world with many areas, npcs, and a goal (To destroy Zentol, The Other). You could call Zentol the Ninenth God.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:25:21 am by Sarzael »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:18 am »

Kitten-lung: A thankfully non-contagious disease affecting many wizards. It is caused by incompetency with magic combined with use of cats in magic. Its symptoms are meowing, screaming in pain, internal bleeding, and death by asphyxiation. One's lungs may or may not survive.

Or, in this case, a sentient liver.
Made of tiny beebots.

-snip-
You're not describing Perplexicon, but you ARE describing a game I'd be willing to play.
Let me know if you ever make it.

Oh, and you spelled "Ninth" wrong.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2013, 07:05:47 am »

No, he's probably literally the Ninenth God. The most Ninth of all Ninth Gods.

Or would that be Nintheth?

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2013, 07:16:51 am »

What would be the point of nanobots? We already have words for Live or Sentient, *Animated Sentient Big Rock Humanoid* (Optional: Add tatto for Strong)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 65