Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132676 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:14 am »

It's all the fun of Team Fortress without all the fun of killing.
So...hats, Jarate, and complaining about campers?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:20 am »

And the EyeLander

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2013, 09:41:05 am »

Ok so thats happening now, I guess.

Anyways; On The subject of prefixes and suffixes and making the stuff more of a written language:

This is an interesting idea and might work fine, although it would also be a bit harder to interpret as people throw things together in ways they make much less sense. For instance the example of "crystal fire claws attach to hand" would in all likelihood be given more as " To hand, fire, attach, crystal, claws".

And something important to remember is that the system is being designed in such a way as to allow it to be assigned things other then words to represent elements. Things like runes, alchemical reagents, body movements and the like. And while you could sort of force those things to fit with the idea of suffixes and prefixes and such, having them just attached to whole words does seem like a way to greatly cut down on complexity. Which is the goal here, to have a very simple sort of free form magic.

Although I do understand the importance of having words to dictate what objects shoot as their ammo and how to attach things to people.

On a related note, I was thinking of adding a series of words related to the tattoo ones; Mutate words that targeted specific body parts or the whole, like tattoos. They would basically work like tattoos but be a bit more organic. Ie if someone used "Mutate left arm fire" it would mutate their left arm into an organic flame thrower or cause it's skin to blacken and it's pores to enlarge and begin spitting out little flames.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2013, 09:44:15 am »

Anyways; On The subject of prefixes and suffixes and making the stuff more of a written language:

This is an interesting idea and might work fine, although it would also be a bit harder to interpret as people throw things together in ways they make much less sense. For instance the example of "crystal fire claws attach to hand" would in all likelihood be given more as " To hand, fire, attach, crystal, claws".

And something important to remember is that the system is being designed in such a way as to allow it to be assigned things other then words to represent elements. Things like runes, alchemical reagents, body movements and the like. And while you could sort of force those things to fit with the idea of suffixes and prefixes and such, having them just attached to whole words does seem like a way to greatly cut down on complexity. Which is the goal here, to have a very simple sort of free form magic.

Although I do understand the importance of having words to dictate what objects shoot as their ammo and how to attach things to people.

On a related note, I was thinking of adding a series of words related to the tattoo ones; Mutate words that targeted specific body parts or the whole, like tattoos. They would basically work like tattoos but be a bit more organic. Ie if someone used "Mutate left arm fire" it would mutate their left arm into an organic flame thrower or cause it's skin to blacken and it's pores to enlarge and begin spitting out little flames.
Wouldnt it be better to say: Left arm Fire Flesh? Or Left Arm Machine Fire Beam?
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:49 am »

And the EyeLander
Which kills people, so no.
And you're taking my joke too far.

That sounds like a hilarious idea, especially if they accidentally combine it with (say) Dog.

Wouldnt it be better to say: Left arm Fire Flesh? Or Left Arm Machine Fire Beam?
Which kind of fire?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:40 am »

"Attach to" is a joint word, and "fire" is the "on fire" suffix, so the sequence would become "Hand Fire-Attach-To Crystal-Claws", which would summon a set of crystal claws and forcibly weld your hand to them with massive amounts of fire until they're held in place by charred flesh. This is the reason for suffixes as adjectives, since order matters.

There are still ways of introducing pre- and post-modifiers to words with other means of expression, writing especially, but that system is more suited for actual language, yeah.

The thing is that with whole words you get odd cases wherein you're not sure where a certain word must go. If you get a combination a-la "Acid Crossbow Coating Axe Steel", there is a certain amount of uncertainty of what goes where and how it all works. You could instead use joint words to make "Steel-Axe Merged Crossbow Coated Acid", which is admittedly a word longer, but it does get the point across better, especially if the joint words are grouped together for easier identification.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2013, 11:10:39 am »

Damnit. I totally want to say something, but I'm currently using it in my active game. Oh well.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2013, 11:26:04 am »

If you said what you wanted to without mentioning that, we would never have suspected it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2013, 12:10:38 pm »

Weeing as most of the people from my game are here, someone would totally figure it out.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2013, 12:15:19 pm »

And the EyeLander
Which kills people, so no.
And you're taking my joke too far.

That sounds like a hilarious idea, especially if they accidentally combine it with (say) Dog.

Which kind of fire?
Fire, Flame, Burn, Napalm, Incendiary.

Damnit. I totally want to say something, but I'm currently using it in my active game. Oh well.
You can PM it to Piecewise. Unless hes in your game, anyways.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2013, 03:24:30 pm »

I do like Mutate, it opens up more options, and makes body words more diverse.

I was going to suggest words for every individual organ, which might be a little crazy, and partially useless-i mean, a word for heart is going to be useful for suicide, and that's about it, unless someone goes crazy with a damage system and getting stabbed in the heart is not something people talk about when it's happening.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2013, 11:06:12 pm »

I was going to suggest words for every individual organ, which might be a little crazy, and partially useless-i mean, a word for heart is going to be useful for suicide, and that's about it, unless someone goes crazy with a damage system and getting stabbed in the heart is not something people talk about when it's happening.

OH GOD I TURNED MY LIVER INTO BEEEEEEEEES!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2013, 11:34:04 pm »

Eh, I can see a use for that. "Grow Heart Self" sounds plenty useful. Second heart? Yes please.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2013, 01:39:33 am »

We need a word for bees. Especially so that we can teleport eldritch bees infused with arcane beer into all the internal organs of the people we punch.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2013, 02:55:05 am »

One dude converted lung into kittens, remember?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 65