Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132482 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2013, 05:57:55 pm »

Just thought you might be interested. In Toasters Perplexicon Game I am attempting a NINE WORD SPELL.
Poor toaster. I hope you aren't mixing contradicting words~

Heavy light fragile robust metal water cat dog staff

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2013, 06:02:35 pm »

Just thought you might be interested. In Toasters Perplexicon Game I am attempting a NINE WORD SPELL.

Who knows, all nine are currently undocumented :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2013, 06:12:40 pm »

Who knows, all nine are currently undocumented :P
Hm. On the one hand, I'm interested. On the other, completely undocumented does carry the risk of just being a mass of stuff.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2013, 06:12:50 pm »

Easy. It's a glowing, dense staff made of canine and feline components, possibly including one head at each end, made of a combination of water and metal, strong against lateral stresses and fragile against longitudinal ones.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2013, 09:30:01 pm »

Sound
superglue
Pipe cleaners
Tear gas
Gun powder
Laser
Miasma
Chlorine Triflouride
Uh, just what exactly is laser? A Sci-fi laser, or a stream of focused light?

Also, Gunpowder seems to be something that we could simply get by mixing Sulfur, Charcoal, and Salt Peter. Enough people know the combination to make the jump themselves. Especially since two of these are unique enough by themselves to be included by their own merit. And Salt Peter isn't that different from Pipe Cleaners (hilarity-wise, not actual usage-wise.) except it is less broader.

By the way, do we have lead?
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2013, 09:34:26 pm »

In the original, I wanted to do "eyebeam light cylinder" to get laser eyes, but never got around to it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2013, 10:09:18 pm »

Y'know, I always called arcane energy "Laser".  Mostly because it was cooler, but also because it was appropriate.  The only difference was that solid arcane energy was explosive, and I'm not entirely sure that counts considering I have no idea how solid laser would work.

Now, I have a feeling you weren't serious about half of those, but I'm good at taking things like that seriously...

So, seriously, I think most of those are just silly bloat.  We had forty-four elements last time, and most of them were almost never used.  Having "pipe cleaners" as an element is only worth two laughs: one when it's discovered what it is, the second when someone makes a dragon out of them.  The only thing having half of the elements being silly jokes will cause is the players to just slog through it, trying to find something useful.  And then they'll find steel, and they'll use it for 90% of their stuff.

As for gunpowder and whatnot, I dislike stuff like that.  It's too useful, and too easy.  Last game, I had plans for a gauss rifle style gun which could fire any harmful elements.  It was complex and needed a bunch of different materials to make.  But if I had gunpowder, I could've simply used gunpowder control and steel control and BAM I have guns.  Whatever guns I want.  Barely any thought, barely any creativity.

Most of the really strong elements we had, like dust, light, vacuum, and laser were all things that had some ability that made them better than normal stuff like steel or fire.  But they were balanced by the fact it was hard to use them- they were double edged swords.  That stuff is interesting, and rewards creativity.  Just handing someone tear gas or gunpowder is no fun.

Now, for an actual suggestion: Adamantine.  Pretty much DF adamantine- practically heat immune, ultra sharp, light as Styrofoam, ect.  Disadvantage:Reeaally weak to magical substances.  Or just ClF3.  It quickly melts when you spray it with acid, ClF3 causes it to pretty much explode immediately, laser melts it easily, ect.  It's way better than steel for normal stuff, like chopping through armor or taking a hit, but steel's way better than it if you are facing a crafty opponent.

EDIT:Dangit, forgot something I wanted to ask.  I'm adding a lot of new words, like the aforementioned adamantine, but I also want there to be runes for the new stuff.  I could just take out less interesting meanings (Like dirt) and replace them with adamantine or whatever, but then people would quickly recognize that there's a higher density of useful runes.  Plus with stuff like pg.4 words and d runes, there will just plain be more useful words.  Does anybody have a suggestion for some way to make more runes, that doesn't rely on me having any ability at all with paint/photoshop/gimp/whatever?

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2013, 10:17:42 pm »

Now, I have a feeling you weren't serious about half of those, but I'm good at taking things like that seriously...
You were speaking to me or to Piecewise?

Regardless, I actually agree... with everything you said. Really.

And I do like the adamantine idea. I'm thinking maybe tie it to the demons, like the DF? Like after you create adamantine, there is a chance that in a few turns a demon or two will pop out in that place. Albeit I'm not sure how good it is beyond simply making a reference.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2013, 10:21:00 pm »

Piecewise.  Specifically, this post.

And... Really?  I feel a disturbance in the force...

As for the tie-in thing, I do have a hidden insanity meter that people gain points in as they use the eldritch word.  I could probably tie it in to that in some way, although it's likely I would be the only person who ever knew there was some connection.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2013, 10:28:57 pm »

Maybe have some elements provide penalties to the Pot roll or something? Most of those would be things like Steel or Control or Gun, but the Cainthalsaz-ey materials and Adamantines would have big penalties, and you could suggest that GMs randomly add -1 or -2 penalties or something to random words. Some sillier and less useful elements, like Pipe Cleaner or Balloon or Wand or Rabbit, would have small bonuses, again with some perhaps being added to random words.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2013, 10:33:34 pm »

So, seriously, I think most of those are just silly bloat.  We had forty-four elements last time, and most of them were almost never used.  Having "pipe cleaners" as an element is only worth two laughs: one when it's discovered what it is, the second when someone makes a dragon out of them.  The only thing having half of the elements being silly jokes will cause is the players to just slog through it, trying to find something useful.

Pipe Cleaner is a very functional and useful descriptive word. Suppose you need to clean pipes, what other material is going to fulfill that need for you? Last time I checked, Steel and Adamantine did not make good pipe cleaners. 

Also, what about the modifier "Ass"? Not in terms of the noun, but the qualifier adjective. Take for example, the word for "Big/Large/Huge/etc." While this would change, say, a Stick to a "Big Stick", you could make it even bigger as a "Big-Ass Stick". Ass is a single word which would translate to "exaggerating an adjective to an extent that would cause surprise and awe once it has been implemented", which no other word in the English language does.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »

What about "Very"?
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »

Soo... Basically, make it easier to make a sword out of pipe cleaners and candy than steel?  That would work somewhat, I guess.  But it would still make a new problem: everyone would be running around with silly stuff at low levels.  That sort of changes the tone of the game, although some people would like that.  It also means only the high-level people would have good materials for their equipment, which ruins one of my favorite aspects of the game- the fact knowledge is quite literally power.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure that back in the arena chapter, Null could have beaten Thrakor even if he had low-level stats, just because he knew all the words.  Sure, he wouldn't have been able to toy with him as much, but he would still have been able to beat him.

Also, Lol at May's post.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:16 pm »

Whose post?
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:35 pm »

Piecewise.  Specifically, this post.

And... Really?  I feel a disturbance in the force...

As for the tie-in thing, I do have a hidden insanity meter that people gain points in as they use the eldritch word.  I could probably tie it in to that in some way, although it's likely I would be the only person who ever knew there was some connection.

Well, actually the list of words is mostly useful stuff, there's only a few that that are really that questionable. The file is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5eogm7wbmamvd0/Perplexicon%20RV.odt

As usual. It's in progress, obviously, but you can look at it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65