Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132532 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2013, 06:47:57 am »

I think that an all-player fusion would result in a positive, insane Zentol.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2013, 06:49:07 am »

And then we kill the negative, insane Zentol!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2013, 06:50:39 am »

Well, Perplexicon states that when fused people wanted to do opposite actions, the one with highest will roll would win.
Now imagine one dude spawns with 9 Will and 1 Channeling and controls you all :D
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2013, 10:39:29 am »

Currently, words (or "Elements" as I call them now since the game is shooting to work with magic words, runes, gestures, or anything else that can be assigned to the list) are being grouped into broad categories- Substances, modifiers, forms,- then a number of subcatagories depending on complexity and a number of other things such as rarity, availability and hazard level. These categories will lend themselves greatly to more forms of play and allow GM's to limit how crazy they want things to get. Plus, it will allow for a sort of "progression", allowing the more powerful words to either cost more pool or require a certain number of souls to use.

Of course, all of that is entirely optional and games of completely unrestrained magical murder are still completely acceptable.

The Currently being worked on version can be seen here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5eogm7wbmamvd0/Perplexicon%20RV.odt

It's not much to look at yet, but It will keep growing over time.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2013, 10:40:17 am »

In the mean time, what are some modifiers you guys would like to see? Or targeting words? Or Forms?

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2013, 10:53:40 am »

A flavor text for what a modifier is, what their purposes are, and how they can be used, could be useful for kicking off our imagination. Same goes for the targeting words and forms.

Just a suggestion. Might yeild more results than just asking straight like that. Might.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2013, 10:59:55 am »

I'd start with the existing modifiers, though an explanation of what to expect from them should be provided.  Going off the original list leaves much open to interpretation.

^Yeah, a few examples to kick us off.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »

Well:

Forms: Forms are the physical shapes that things take. Swords, cows, chairs, decorative vases. They shape the raw substances and give them a particular form.

Modifiers: Modifiers are elements that change some sort of aspect of a spell. Examples might include "Big" which makes whatever the result of the spell is much larger. Or "Hairy" which makes the result sprout little hair like growths of whatever it's made of. Or "Fragile" which makes the result easy to break, or "Many" which creates duplicates of the result.

Targeting: Targeting elements are the ways that spells can be targeted or aimed. Things like "Fire forward" or "Fire forward in a parabolic arc" or "appear to the left".

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:30 pm »

How does 'Appear on target' work when the player rolls a seven, is the type of thing I want explained. You said it should only really work on a perfect five.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:45 pm »

Well:

Forms: Forms are the physical shapes that things take. Swords, cows, chairs, decorative vases. They shape the raw substances and give them a particular form.

Modifiers: Modifiers are elements that change some sort of aspect of a spell. Examples might include "Big" which makes whatever the result of the spell is much larger. Or "Hairy" which makes the result sprout little hair like growths of whatever it's made of. Or "Fragile" which makes the result easy to break, or "Many" which creates duplicates of the result.

Targeting: Targeting elements are the ways that spells can be targeted or aimed. Things like "Fire forward" or "Fire forward in a parabolic arc" or "appear to the left".
What would you have made if every person fused into a single person? Would stats increase/decrease?
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:10 pm »

On a moderately unrelated note, has anyone played Scribblenauts?

I'm thinking of it's list of adjectives and verbs, and if some could be lifted off, or further developed.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:44 pm »

On a moderately unrelated note, has anyone played Scribblenauts?
No, but have seen videos. Looks cool.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 01:18:49 pm »

Hmm that scribblenauts idea is actually a really good one. I'll have to look up a list for that.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »

Animal words, both descript and less so. So, you can have "cow" or "mammal" and potentially get the same result, but "mammal" is more open to thought and modification.

Actually, a word or group of words that allow thought to affect the result.

Take, say, the "mental shaping" word and a less-descript word, say, "gun", and a user who never used the word before thinks "a small, compact weapon". They get a pistol.

They use the same combo and think "a large, bolt-action gun" and could wind up with a sniper rifle- 1 and 2 are failures, a 3 is a bad gun, which jams a lot, has no ammunition, or no sight, 4 is a minor problem, 5 is the intended result, and 6 adds a feature that makes it less useful overall- like a complicated bolt that takes a whole turn to pull, or the gun isn't designed well for the average-sized human.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2013, 06:42:11 pm »

Hmm that scribblenauts idea is actually a really good one. I'll have to look up a list for that.
For nouns, it's "Approximately everything that is not vulgar or trademarked".
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 65