Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132453 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2013, 10:48:59 pm »

Whose post?

TCM's, damnit.  After ~2000 pages of ER, I just sort of think of TCM as May.  Woops.
Same thing for me. I often catch that when I edit my posts. The similarity between "Great" and "Grate" don't help at all.

Soo... Basically, make it easier to make a sword out of pipe cleaners and candy than steel?  That would work somewhat, I guess.  But it would still make a new problem: everyone would be running around with silly stuff at low levels.  That sort of changes the tone of the game, although some people would like that.  It also means only the high-level people would have good materials for their equipment, which ruins one of my favorite aspects of the game- the fact knowledge is quite literally power.
I also don't really like the idea of providing bonuses for pipe cleaners. Penalties for adamantine/eldritch wonders make sense, but I feel like providing bonuses for siliness makes it stop being silly.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2013, 10:49:48 pm »

Is Neon Hell.

Is it.

Does it just.

Devil rave party?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2013, 10:56:17 pm »

Is Neon Hell.

Is it.

Does it just.

Devil rave party?
You'll see.

Why do you guys want lead by the way? I've got Tungsten, and I replaced graphite with lead, but I'm curious.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2013, 11:01:56 pm »

What about "Very"?

"Very" doesn't denote the same sense of awe and/or urgency when it comes to modifying a subject. Ex.:

"That's a very big tree."

"That's a big-ass tree!"

The tension and emotion of a situation that determine which qualifier people would turn to are quite different between "Very" and "Ass".

Soo... Basically, make it easier to make a sword out of pipe cleaners and candy than steel?  That would work somewhat, I guess.  But it would still make a new problem: everyone would be running around with silly stuff at low levels.  That sort of changes the tone of the game, although some people would like that.  It also means only the high-level people would have good materials for their equipment, which ruins one of my favorite aspects of the game- the fact knowledge is quite literally power.

Being completely serious, I think you're underestimating the power of pipe cleaners. Really. How much have you messed with pipe cleaners? I've had to do a lot of work at them, and let me tell you, each end of each pipe cleaner is a sharp metal point. I've seen many hands scraped by those metal pieces. Imagine if were able to accentuate the metal tip of pipe cleaner's, by shaving the fuzzy parts near the end off to reveal more metal one perhaps or making it larger which would result it a longer metal tip. These metal tips could penetrate flesh and organ just as easily as a blade, and made more nasty by the fact that they are not straight, but rather curled, which increases the potential for skewering.

Pipe cleaners are also extremely flexible, meaning it would be simple to construct a deadly pipe cleaner sword, provided you have enough pipe cleaners. Simply wrap enough up until you get a hilt, then constructed a "blade" with intertwined pipe cleaners which would have to be many pipe cleaners tall and wide, all connected with each other. At the end, of the blade, shave half the pipe cleaners off so that one fuzzy end remains intersected with the corresponding lower part of the blade, while the metallic section is now revealed. You know have a fuzzy sword with dozens or hundreds of tiny spiky claw-like barbs, capable of ripping through flesh and soft matter.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »

Why do you guys want lead by the way?
Because lead was very famously a poisonous substance, that was still used by everyone for it's shininess and other useful properties.

It's the paradox, the mystery, the hilarity of great numbers of people using it, even when many knew it was a poison. I believe that it was lead that led several Roman Emperors (Nero, Caligula, etc) to madness, because they used it as sugar. (or more exactly, stored food in lead barrels.) The story of Elizabeth using lead as a cosmetic, and ruining her face, is also famous. And that's not even talking about the beginning of the (twentieth?) century, when it was used as a paint in cars, homes, etc.

At least that's why I like lead. It's a shiny poison.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:04:35 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2013, 11:03:17 pm »

The similarity between "Great" and "Grate" don't help at all.
Check the full name.

I also don't really like the idea of providing bonuses for pipe cleaners. Penalties for adamantine/eldritch wonders make sense, but I feel like providing bonuses for siliness makes it stop being silly.
Basically, stone or wood would be easier than steel or adamantine but harder than pipe cleaners or air.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2013, 11:08:42 pm »

Because lead was very famously a poisonous substance, that was still used by everyone for it's shininess and other useful properties.

It's the paradox, the mystery, the hilarity of great numbers of people using it, even when many knew it was a poison. I believe that it was lead that led several Roman Emperors (Nero, Caligula, etc) to madness, because they used it as sugar. (or more exactly, stored food in lead barrels.) The story of Elizabeth using lead as a cosmetic, and ruining her face, is also famous. And that's not even talking about the beginning of the twentieth century, when it was used as a paint in cars, homes, etc.

Lead isn't the kind of thing you can really be poisoned by that quick. Not really the sort of thing you'll be worrying about in the death match.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2013, 11:14:56 pm »

It's the paradox, the mystery, the hilarity of great numbers of people using it, even when many knew it was a poison. I believe that it was lead that led several Roman Emperors (Nero, Caligula, etc) to madness, because they used it as sugar. (or more exactly, stored food in lead barrels.) The story of Elizabeth using lead as a cosmetic, and ruining her face, is also famous. And that's not even talking about the beginning of the twentieth century, when it was used as a paint in cars, homes, etc.

Lead isn't the kind of thing you can really be poisoned by that quick. Not really the sort of thing you'll be worrying about in the death match.
I never said I want it because of the poison. But that is why it's one of the first things that comes to my mind when I think about different elements. Sorry.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2013, 12:12:48 am »

Personally, I think a few fantasy metals with interesting properties would be nice. Adamantine- Light as styrofoam, practically indestructible, but also a conductor for most all energies- Thus, electricity, heat, cold, etc all go straight through it. A metal that's super dense. Gravitium - A metal that's relatively dense, but doesn't interact with gravity - Thus, it still has inertia and mass, but will end up floating in mid air. A few metals that are superconductors for some energies but not others. etc, etc.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2013, 02:53:07 am »

Personally, I think a few fantasy metals with interesting properties would be nice. Adamantine- Light as styrofoam, practically indestructible, but also a conductor for most all energies- Thus, electricity, heat, cold, etc all go straight through it. A metal that's super dense. Gravitium - A metal that's relatively dense, but doesn't interact with gravity - Thus, it still has inertia and mass, but will end up floating in mid air. A few metals that are superconductors for some energies but not others. etc, etc.
I would rather have all those as concepts and adjectives than as outright materials.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »

Have you thought of trademarking the word "Perplexicon"? Seems to be about time for that.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »

Woah. Having internet after 4 days of... not having internet.

Yeah. dense-ness, weight, all of it, even color, could be words.

Like, Adamantine is just "(Super-Low Density) (Super Conductive) (Super Durable) (Blue) (Metal)." Words for each type of value, such as density, are Super (ridiculously high or low), Very (more so than average), or no modifier (changing it by a reasonably small amount.)
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2013, 04:32:09 pm »

I'd suggest tossing the Metamorphica in as an effects table for summons (defined by pre/suffixes?) or at least as a method of animal selection, but... well, it has 1000 different effects, most with a lot of variables... might be too much.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 65