Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Evolution of the Anvil  (Read 3939 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution of the Anvil
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:13 am »

To Repost:

In the Zero'th Year:

Armok gave Man great stature, but took from them a Long Life.
Armok gave Elves the trees, but took from them their Brains.
Armok gave Goblins rage, but took from them their Dignity.
Armok gave Kobolds cuteness, and took from them Everything Else.
Armok gave Dwarves the anvil, but took from them their Sobriety.

We know who got the best deal.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 07:17:45 pm »

To Repost:

In the Zero'th Year:

Armok gave Man great stature, but took from them a Long Life.
Armok gave Elves the trees, but took from them their Brains.
Armok gave Goblins rage, but took from them their Dignity.
Armok gave Kobolds cuteness, and took from them Everything Else.
Armok gave Dwarves the anvil, but took from them their Sobriety.

We know who got the best deal.
of course
kobolds are cute ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 07:27:11 pm »

I always imagine them as fraggles for some bizzare reason.

Regardless, the little kleptos are clearly a threat, despite their supposed "cuteness".

They will stop at nothing until they have *all* of the socks in the fortress.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 11:09:25 pm »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 03:40:11 pm »

Clearly Arnok had a mood when he made the first anvil, slade, inlaid with adamantine and decorated with star rubies.   This relic exists in a temple deep underground, yet to be discovered.  Exactly one such temple exists per generated world.   This temple also has a mithral chest containing seeds of Yggdrasil which will be returned to the elves when they accept that the true purpose of trees is to make charcoal for steel and beds for dwarf children.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »

the first anvil was created by a humble man whom carved it out of rock in sheer artistic passion.

the dwarves having seen the creation and realized it potential for metalworking, bought the creation with their socks, but could never replicate its creation.

a dwarven scientist suggested that metal can be used instead of rock, and the first dwarven anvil was made.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 01:17:02 am »

Early anvils were first made of stone as a lithic stone tool, then bronze, and later wrought iron. As steel became more readily available, anvils were faced with that. This was done to give the anvil a hard face and to stop the anvil from deforming from impact. Many regional styles of anvils evolved through time from the simple block that was first used by smiths.

Dwarfs are an all-or-nothing race who despise stone anvils cracking and bronze anvils deforming, and so use only iron and steel. But the original anvil was simply a hard, non-economic stone that was more or less cubic, which the local dwarfs used as a back wall to crack nuts and break shells. Finding the utility of the device so compelling, they opted to manufacture new cubes wherever they were unable to find a natural formation.

It was an accidental discovery that produced the first bar of metal ore. When a broken stone caused its owner to tantrum, the resulting inferno in the wake of his rampage smelted the block into a bar. That block was further refined and struck until it formed the first true anvil. And the rest, as they say, is left to the NSA to recover from log files.
Pages: 1 2 [3]