Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: skilled champion or "noob" champion  (Read 382 times)

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
skilled champion or "noob" champion
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:18:38 pm »

hey guys

i just got a baron and can make someone champion.

the wiki says champions teach my lilitia occationally by demonstrations

so i got a few questions:

1. does my champion automatically wander from one barracks to the next and instructs all my militia from time to time? or do i need to asign him tasks to instruct?
2. he needs high teacher skill, but does he also need skill in anything to be effective? like can he be level 0 in every fighter-skill and still "instruct" my militia? or does he need a high skill and only teaches this particular high skill (i think dodging/armor would be  good choises? )?
so would it be wise to chose one of my best warriors/archers or some  random peasant ^^
3. this concerns the sheriff. should i have a strong or weak sheriff? should i asign him troops? should he patrol or be "afk"?

thanks guys
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:55:54 pm by Prester »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: skilled champion or "noob" champion
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »

Neither the champion nor sheriff/captain of the guard has a huge effect on the fortress, so I like to use them as honorary positions. In my current fort, both positions are held by blind ex-soldiers. I think most dwarves get a happy thought from talking to the champion, so it's probably best not to give the position to an active-duty soldier.

I've never seen a champion give a demonstration, personally, but I can't say it never happens. If he does give one, I'm sure it's like any other demonstration in that it will only be worthwhile if he's skilled in that particular area. Good teaching skill helps, too. I'm not sure how a dwarf chooses what skill to demonstrate, but I'm certain they can demonstrate skills other than the highest.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: skilled champion or "noob" champion
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:11:35 am »

Like itg I usually give Champion to an ex-soldier, usually having a significant lack of limb. I don't have a huge amount of experience with the position though, since I don't always stick with a fort long enough to really have someone that would fit the position.

As for the sheriff/commander, it probably depends on how much "Justice" is taking place in your fort. They are the one (or maybe anyone in the guard squard) that will hand out beatings or chain/cage people that commit crimes, so you probably don't want to assign your strongest dwarf or expert wrestler to the position unless you enjoy watching your Legendary Smith get strangled to death because he brought the wrong bin to the Depot.