Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cut too much wood...disable hauling?  (Read 2540 times)

greenleaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cut too much wood...disable hauling?
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:56:56 pm »

In typical newbie fashion I went into full overkill mode and cut wood across a HUGE area.  Now there are zillions of piles of wood and my dwarves are spending enormous amounts of time hauling it around.  Is there any way to tell my haulers to just leave the wood where it is?  I have more than enough stockpiled for many, many seasons to come.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cut too much wood...disable hauling?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:21:54 pm »

3 ways to do it.   one way would be remove stockpile space for wood.  Just undesignate the empty area of your wood stockpile and they'll stop hauling in wood till you use some up.

Second way would be to forbid the wood that is outside.   hotkeys for that are "d b f" then just do the standard 2 corner selection you use for any other designation.

thrid way is with the standing orders menu.  Hit o to bring it up.   once there W will toggle the collection of wood.

Pick your poison on what you want to do.   options 2 and 3 you'll need to remember to undo at some point where as option one will resume automaticly but you'll still have dwarves going outside to gather from time to time as you use up wood.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:56:12 am »

4. Option: Only enable wood hauling for some of your dwarves.

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:19:45 am »

Hauling is a tremendous waste of dwarf time that everyone deals with.  Consider shrinking the size of your stockpiles to the bare minimum.  A lot of people make a simple stockpile per workshop set up:

Code: [Select]
S = stockpile tile
xxx
xxx = workshop
xxx

SSSSS
SxxxS
SxxxS
SxxxS
SSSSS

Large, 30x30 stockpiles are just invitations to ruin effeciency.  Also consider the fact that dwarfs can't properly determine material distance across z levels (which is why your mason loves to ignore stones that are right in front of him, and instead hikes to the magma sea for some obsidian to tow 100 z levels up) and you may want to eschew stockpiles entirely for some industries.  A lot of workshops operate just fine with 50 or so items stockpiled inside of them.

So instead of hauling out every single piece of thread from the farmer's workshop, just remove all thread stockpiles and let the thread pile up in the farmer's workshop.  Place your loom next to it and the weaver will simply walk to the workshop for his thread.  Free quantum stockpile without the need to designate a thing.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 04:38:20 am »

Too much dwarves spent in hauling?

1. Disable specific kind of hauling on as many dwarves as you need for another job or different hauling activity.
2. Cut stockpile down as much as you can to bare minimum.
3. Assign wheelbarrow to stockpile, up to 3, to limit how many dwarves will haul to them.
4. Set order to disable specific hauling ( this'll disable jobs associated with the matieral, though, and probably stop dwarves from eating if it's food hauling disabled ).
5. Forbid the extra stuff. This option I never uses outside of invasion or megabeast/FB attacks because it makes me think I've ran out while I still have plenty of stock waiting.

And for someone that said large stockpile ruins efficiency, it depends on the stockpile and where it is. I tend to have huge stone stockpile near my mason and mechanics feeding the multiple wheelbarrowed stockpile around it since stone's so difficult to haul in general. Huge food stockpile's pretty necessary to preserve food since they'll rot. I rarely bothers with stockpile for bones and skulls, though, and have craftshops near butchers to pull right out of the shop.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:18 am »

Heh. I do what both of the above posters said. I build small personal stockpiles for individual workshops to use as an input, and then when my fortress is much larger, I have huge "warehouses" of input resources and huge "shopping districts" of output resorces.