Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Ascendancy- The second game in the Competition series  (Read 6716 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendancy- The second game in the Competition series
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 11:22:49 am »

Indeed. I just need to write something.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 01:30:14 pm »

So what's the area that's won?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 01:39:17 pm »

Temperate.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 01:40:04 pm »

Temperate.

Yaay.
So what happens now? (I guess we just wait for a more proper update)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:28 pm »

~---------------------~A Nightmace Outpost~---------------------~

You have arrived. After a journey west from the meadows and woodlands into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh flight has finally ended. Your party of twenty is to make a colony for the glory of the expanding nightmace species.
There are almost no supplies left, but with hard work comes sustenance. Whether by spear, claw, or spine, provide for your Nightmaces. You are expecting a supply caravan before winter entombs you, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings ere the Kitzech get hungry. A new chapter of Nightmace history begins here at this place, [Name Not Found]. Strike the earth!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the burgeoning Sophont Nightmaces begin to expand across the continent, one small band of twenty, along with a mating pair of Eagle Squids and a small supply of food and tools for the journey, travels west in search of new territory to raise their young in. As they head towards the rising sun, they come upon a temperate foothills of pine woodland, cool but protected from the creeping frost of this clime by warm, moist high altitude winds blowing from the south. A few miles to the north, a sheltered cove sits where the river delta sweeps a gulley in the land. Many miles to the south lies the shore of the warm southern ocean. Your band settles down in a small meadow to take stock of their situation beneath the azure pines. The land slopes gracefully upward from the hollow you rest in. The land is covered in small, tough shrubs reminiscent of heather, along with more delicate plants resting in the shelter of the hills, with thick, rough trees arching above. You have only yourselves, eight spears, two sets of basic cutting tools, several web sacks, and a bit of food left. You had to leave your herds behind when you migrated.

The time has come to set up nests and begin to establish yourself, but first you must make some important decisions. What will you call this place, and your newly birthed civilization?

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

As a sidenote, do Nightmaces have genders? It was never really established.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 04:13:23 am »

On gender:
...Tentaclets follow their mother and are fed by them. They eat regurgitated food from the mother's guts, and when they are old enough, they leave.
There was also reference to a womb in the same section, so I think it is safe to assume 'yes'.

Six nightmace and an eagle-squid on hunting duty, the other eagle-squid can be a guard or something, since we don't have any sightmace to do that.
Begin digging hollows in the trees.
Web up some pastures, yo, as well as a fence between trees to protect us better.

I think we are carnivorous? Pretty sure we never evolved the ability to eat plant matter.

I'm not very creative, so no ideas here on a civilization name that isn't horri-bad.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 05:01:12 am »

The time has come to set up nests and begin to establish yourself, but first you must make some important decisions. What will you call this place, and your newly birthed civilization?

We shall live in Lunapolis.
Civ name, I have no idea.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 05:03:08 am »

Well, no one ever voted for having specific genders. The male organs are located just in front of the womb. Like most species, the younger adults act as the 'males' and the older ones the 'females' as a general rule, as the larger, more experienced ones have more energy to nurse with and are less likely to do something stupid. There are exceptions to this rule, fairly regularly.

We've always been meat-preferring omnivores. No one ever voted for changing that either.

What about the 'Foothill Hierarchy'? It has a ring to it.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 05:22:46 am »

...Doesn't really strike me.

Something related to "Bay" would be decent, especially given that we are on BAY12 forums. ;)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 05:24:42 am »

...Doesn't really strike me.

Something related to "Bay" would be decent, especially given that we are on BAY12 forums. ;)

Dodeca inlet?
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 05:28:40 am »

Well, this is going farther than I originally thought it would. Which is a wonderful thing!

As [name not found] said, hunting party. The others start to make the nest in the trees and investigate the immediate surroundings (within a couple dozen meters).

I like the "Foothill hierarchy". Our chief shall be named the Bayatan Hierarch, and our outpost Bayata, "New Haven".
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 05:39:37 am »

Could someone provide a picture of what we roughly look like now?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 05:43:39 am »

Could someone provide a picture of what we roughly look like now?
Okie dokie!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 05:50:01 am »

Remember the days when we were merely a weak and puny seafloor blob?
And now, millions years later, we are founding a civilization. Damn, that feels awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5