Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves don't manage their clothing well  (Read 489 times)

All your base

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarves don't manage their clothing well
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:12:46 am »

I have a 10 year old fortress, capped at 350. A year or two ago, I started getting occasional unhappy citizens due to clothing-related bad thoughts. I've poured resources into clothing and I now have gobs of every type laying around unclaimed, but I am still constantly dealing with tantrums and unhappy dwarves because their clothes rot away and they are naked.

I found an old bug related to this but it claims to be fixed:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2481

Could I possibly be doing something wrong? Eventually the naked citizens sleep in nice beds or admire statues or whatever and end up kinda happy, but I got used to a fort where almost everyone was estatic almost all the time...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves don't manage their clothing well
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:32:37 am »

Clothings works for me, but they won't take off part ( over, cover or under) that they don't have a change for and let it rot off.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor#Types_of_Protection

I makes at very least socks, trouser and dress. Armors can't be claimed as clothings either. Other problem I can think of is that they're not accessible either through burrow restriction or not pathable to.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:35:45 pm »

Are the naked dwarves in the military?  If you have assigned them to replace clothing with uniform but have failed to supply that uniform they will run about in various stages of undress.

Also check to make sure that clothing is not owned(check with k and v I think).  If the clothing is making it back into a stockpile then it is probably unowned. If you have assigned rooms to dwarves they will attempt to store an extra suit of clothes in their room which can cause some frustrations as well.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:57:16 pm »

I'm a little confused how the replace clothing setting works. Is it global across all militia squads? Cause right now it seems that way. Also do you have to assign an explicit uniform or can you say "no uniform" and assign them specific pieces of armor?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:21:29 pm »

replace or over clothing can be set per squad, but it can be that it's set to replace for all squads. A uniform can be a standard set or as custom as you want. It can be 'anything metal for your head' or a helmet you personally selected and quite a lot in between. For clarification, whatever you assign them, it is still called a uniform. Most people use custom uniforms, but don't go as far as selecting each piece of equipment themself
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 04:50:51 pm »

I'm a little confused how the replace clothing setting works. Is it global across all militia squads? Cause right now it seems that way. Also do you have to assign an explicit uniform or can you say "no uniform" and assign them specific pieces of armor?

Replace clothing's an part of uniform set-up and used to make dwarves drop everything they wears and only put on what's assigned. It's not global, just specific to the uniform. And you can assign them specific pieces of armor/weapon if you want to, though it's not very efficient to spend time at outside of artifact assignment or avoidment.

Default uniforms are over clothings. To assign specific pieces of armor, in military screen go to 'e'quip and use Specific <piece> for each of the the thing on second line from top.

Uniforms can be assigned to dwarves invidually or to entire squads using shift-u at equip screen and highlighting the squad, dwarf and the uniform and hitting enter for inviduals or shift-enter for squad.