Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35

Author Topic: Build a Colony: The Tragic tale of Rearden's Arms  (Read 45412 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Build a Colony: The Tragic tale of Rearden's Arms
« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »

We don't have computers. We don't have computer schematics.
We are designing an AI...
Who said we don't have computers? The Research databank is one, for example. Besides, we'll have electronics blueprints next turn.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 08, 2013, 04:33:12 am »

Who said we don't have computers? The Research databank is one, for example. Besides, we'll have electronics blueprints next turn.
The clones are researching how to build an artificial neural net purpose built to run an AI. Not just designing some software to install on an existing computer.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2013, 05:52:20 am »

The clones are researching how to build an artificial neural net purpose built to run an AI. Not just designing some software to install on an existing computer.
Our Leader-soldiers (or sergeants as I proposed ages ago) should provide the required leadership the bots need, at least for the moment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2013, 08:08:37 am »

The AI is intended for research not command. Besides, do we even have sergeants/ leader soldiers?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2013, 08:55:55 am »

The AI is intended for research not command. Besides, do we even have sergeants/ leader soldiers?
Not to my knowledge.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Oblivion2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2013, 09:03:53 am »

We have some bots with a management program as well as a combat program. The management program lets them direct the efforts of other bots so that they work together more effectively.

So I guess we do have "sergeants" of a sort; except the don't have any tactical programs specific to combat. If I had to guess they can just generally get all the other combat bots to form effective firing arcs and to concentrate fire, so it'll hold us over for now but isn't ideal by any stretch. When they get back from scouting they can command our first batch of LCDs until we design an AI purpose-built to command squads of drones.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2013, 09:04:55 am »

I don't think we actually installed that software.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 08, 2013, 11:40:24 am »

Eventual goal: build commander AI, build small army of 'training bots' armed with holo weapons so we can train it and Rearden in tactics.

Oblivion2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 08, 2013, 09:10:17 pm »

Eventual goal: build commander AI, build small army of 'training bots' armed with holo weapons so we can train it and Rearden in tactics.

That... doesn't sound very useful. Maybe if we were dealing with real people building training weapons would be a good idea but I'm extremely skeptical of how much use a robot will get out of training exercises. Any use that we might get out of it would be minor and definitely would not off-set the cost in time and resources it would take to first design and then build the training bots. If we want a more capable command AI later on then we can simply research more effective tactical software instead of individually training every AI.

As for Rearden? He has waaay better things to do with his time than taking part in combat, let alone training for combat.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 08, 2013, 10:38:36 pm »

Let's create two learning military AI's and pit them against each other.

Wait, season with a little chaotic environment, and enjoy your new, better AI's.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
Turn 11
« Reply #325 on: October 09, 2013, 08:53:16 am »

Turn 11
The Colony: (you might want to just follow this link instead since it's a big image: http://i.imgur.com/FobOtgO.png)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You repair the broken robot at the workshop. It isn't to difficult and you make do without any extra materials.

Bailey finishes the electronic blueprints (blueprint added).

Your bots have arrived at the distress beacon! But wait, what's that you hear?... [see the next section of the update]

1467 Credits | Power: 50/50(+20/-3.2)
Off-site parties:

Research:

Resources/Food:

Tools:

Weapons:

Robots/Clones:

Your Modules/Equipment:

Hero(es):

Glossary Posts

Turn 11.1 (combat turn)

The Colony: (you might want to just follow this link instead since it's a big image: http://i.imgur.com/nJcyoPL.png)

You hear something large heading your way! It appears to be one of the Bairogs.

The bot working the smelter reports another one heading towards it.

Meanwhile at the distress beacon: (http://i.imgur.com/nQWQI4c.png)

Looks like shit is going down.

Spoiler: Author Notes: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:03:41 am by Evil Lincoln »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 09, 2013, 09:15:48 am »

Away: Those are... worms or crawlers?

Anyway get entry to the shuttle, Keep guard.

Home:

Hank and the other 2 dispatch of the top 2 first, using rifles. Science guys pull up the ladder and arms ready.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 09, 2013, 09:16:44 am »

Colony:
Everyone arm yourself with whatever weaponry is at hand
Disengage both machines. We don't want them to be damaged, or the oil well to be struck.
Then everyone should proceed to climb on the buildings, and open fire on the Bullwart* coming from the left. The other 2 should be blocked by the ditch, forcing them to slow down to attack.

*Which is what I'm naming them, if they don't have any names yet. Otherwise, insert the correct name there.

Security drones:
This doesn't look good. Scavengers are already eating the bodies, yet the crash is fairly recent. I vote that the droids carefully approach the body. If the human appears to be alive, shoot the scavengers, otherwise, leave them alone and go inside.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:25:52 am by 10ebbor10 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 09, 2013, 09:23:00 am »

Colony:
Disengage both machines. We don't want them to be damaged, or the oil well to be struck.
Then everyone should proceed to climb on the buildings, and open fire on the Bullwart* coming from the left. The other 2 should be blocked by the ditch, and forcing them to slow down to attack.

*Which is what I'm naming them, if they don't have any names yet. Otherwise, insert the correct name there.

Security drones:
This doesn't look good. Scavengers are already eating the bodies, yet the crash is fairly recent. I vote that the droids carefully approach the body. If the human appears to be alive, shoot the scavengers, otherwise, leave them alone and go inside.
Sounds like a plan, +1
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 09, 2013, 11:02:20 am »

Colony:
Then everyone should proceed to climb on the buildings, and open fire on the Bullwart* coming from the left. The other 2 should be blocked by the ditch, and forcing them to slow down to attack.

Security drones:
Sounds like a plan, +1
+1
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35