Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35

Author Topic: Build a Colony: The Tragic tale of Rearden's Arms  (Read 45488 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Build a Colony: The Tragic tale of Rearden's Arms
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2013, 10:23:12 am »

Improvise up some piping to connect the oil rig to the refinery.
Would be hard. To make the pipes, we probably need plastic, for which we'll need to refine oil.
And to refine oil, we need pipes, and for pipes we need plastic, and oil for plastic and pipes for oil and plastic for pipes and oil for plastic and pipes for oil and plastic for pipes and oil for plastic and pipes for oil...
Thank goodness we aren't doing Gamerlord's plan yet.

If we ever make true AI, let's name them after ourselves.
I'd suggest an alphabetical nomenclature. Ash, Beatrice, Charlie, Darla, Earl, Francine, George, Helga, Ivan, Janet, Kyle, etc.
If you want to fit Hank in there, we could do Alice, Bishop, Clair, Dennia, Emily, Frank, Gretchen, Hank, Iris, Jim, Kristal, etc.

We also need to create at least 2 powerwires, in order to hook up both the oil rig and the digger to the network.

I also propose we create 5 plastic containers, giving use 10 units of oil storage. That will allow the robot to continue operating at maximum capacity for a much longer time.
Sounds like a plan, although at some point we'll need to make another refiner or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:01 am »

I have a question: to make electronics, would we need a blueprint?

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 01, 2013, 11:41:11 am »

I have a question: to make electronics, would we need a blueprint?
You can have a blueprint if you want to save time on manufacturing.

Otherwise you can make electronics at the fabrication workshop. I said something before but i'll veto with this: 1 plastic + one silicon + one grey-metal = 5 electronics. It'll take two turns for you to make it and only the science clones and hank are qualified to make them.

On that note I just remembered I forgot to have any engineering skills available for bots. I'll address that next update probably (if i remember).

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 01, 2013, 11:48:20 am »

So, a blueprint will require a small time investment, but would eventually allow us to produce them en masse, right? I think that we should reasearch electronnics blueprints, then.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 01, 2013, 11:55:37 am »

So, a blueprint will require a small time investment, but would eventually allow us to produce them en masse, right? I think that we should reasearch electronnics blueprints, then.
+1
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 01, 2013, 11:56:32 am »

+1
Additionally, we should also put developing Engineering software on our list.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 01, 2013, 12:17:55 pm »

-Keep smelting.
+1
-Have the concrete making bot make the pipe.
I think we can use the Manufactury for that, the bot can instead Begin applying concrete to the dirt wall
-Have one the idle scientists analize te other tree.
Why would it be different?
+1
Additionally, we should also put developing Engineering software on our list.
+1 (to both)
We also need to create at least 2 powerwires, in order to hook up both the oil rig and the digger to the network.
+1
I also propose we create 5 plastic containers, giving use 10 units of oil storage. That will allow the robot to continue operating at maximum capacity for a much longer time.
I think since we are building a pipe line to the refinery we should instead design a large tank with storage 10. this will likely take less material (say 4 plastic instead of 5) and will let us run the pipe from the rig to the tank and then have a smaller piece of pipe from the tank to the refinery this will mean fewer steps, less waste, and fewer materials (we can make one big pipe and cut it). Or we could just run the pump at half speed, no waste, no extra materials used and we still get lots of plastic per turn.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 01, 2013, 12:52:45 pm »

-Have the concrete making bot make the pipe.
I think we can use the Manufactury for that, the bot can instead Begin applying concrete to the dirt wall
The manufactury needs to be manned by someone, I think. And we should build concrete walls, eventually. The dirt wall is just temporary, so I -1 using concrete over dirt.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 01, 2013, 02:26:24 pm »

-1 to the dirt. For now. We will get a wall soon enough, dont you lot worry.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 01, 2013, 03:04:08 pm »

-1 to dirt +1 to everything else.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 02, 2013, 02:42:10 am »

I don't think a wall as simple as we are able to build it right now would be a big help against dozens of aggressive clones and or natives.
We should concentrate on making our base more productive and efficient for now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 02, 2013, 07:17:19 am »

I don't think a wall as simple as we are able to build it right now would be a big help against dozens of aggressive clones and or natives.
We should concentrate on making our base more productive and efficient for now.
1. A concrete wall is a pretty solid barrier. I'd say it would be effective.
2. Such as...what?
Sig

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 02, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »

You need a lot of concrete to build an acceptable wall. Instead we could concentrate on melting the ores we bought and building some robots. Then we can improve the concrete production and eventually build a real wall.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 02, 2013, 12:49:21 pm »

We need a LOT more than metal to make robots. We also need rubber, probably plastic, circuitry, computers, quite possibly glass lenses for the sensors, and probably some other things I haven't thought of. We aren't ready to make any of those, let alone them all. THEN, we need to assemble them properly...a concrete wall would be faster.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 02, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »

Well, not really, we only need to research electronic blueprints, robot blueprints, and then mesh things together.

Additionally, robots don't cost much, so I doubt they use crystal lenses as sensors.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35