Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

Author Topic: Build a Colony: The Tragic tale of Rearden's Arms  (Read 45396 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Build a Colony: The Tragic tale of Rearden's Arms
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:06 am »

Alpha Company (2 soldiers, 1 sergeant) will scout the area armed with all 3 laser rifles. Look for easy game, resources, other colonies, etc. Start making a rough map. The remaining soldier and sergeant should start felling trees for lumber. If possible, use the mechs to help with this. If we can start construction on a simple wooden palisade that would help. This colony is vulnerable.

Science clone 1, hereafter referred to as Barnum, work on a program to teach new clones to be researchers. Science clone 2, hereafter known as Bailey, work out a way to survey for mineral deposits.

Hank: Take 5 and do some CEO shit. Manage the work, smoke a cigar, and look awesome.
Why clone researchers? We can make robot researchers! And then we don't have to build cloning facilities.
*slaps on head*
No! Bad Tomcost! No robot rebellions!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2013, 07:55:06 am »

Alpha Company (2 soldiers, 1 sergeant) will scout the area armed with all 3 laser rifles. Look for easy game, resources, other colonies, etc. Start making a rough map. The remaining soldier and sergeant should start felling trees for lumber. If possible, use the mechs to help with this. If we can start construction on a simple wooden palisade that would help. This colony is vulnerable.

Science clone 1, hereafter referred to as Barnum, work on a program to teach new clones to be researchers. Science clone 2, hereafter known as Bailey, work out a way to survey for mineral deposits.

Hank: Take 5 and do some CEO shit. Manage the work, smoke a cigar, and look awesome.
Why clone researchers? We can make robot researchers! And then we don't have to build cloning facilities.
What exactly makes a 'robot researcher' better than a clone one? Robots take valuable metals for one thing, which would be better used building weapons and more colony additions. Robots (normally) cannot self-heal like a biological entity can, nor are they anywhere near as robust. I'm talking here about realistic robots of course, not super mecha gundam bullshit which can survive being dropped from space while riding a nuke into the core of the sun and come out the other side billowing a bit of steam.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
Turn 2
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2013, 08:06:47 am »

Turn 2
The Colony: (you might want to just follow this link instead since it's a big image: http://i.imgur.com/IXCpOdD.png )

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Power: 50/50(+20/-1)

You split the bots into 2-bot teams and have them go and explore. The last bot you have harvest some vegetation. It quickly finds a bulb-like plant which is deposited by the prefab while the scientists work on their first research task.

Speaking of research task Baileyand Barnum are done. It was simple to design a long cord that the robots could recharge with. (Blueprint added)

You take a moment to have a cigarette and work on your corporate synergy. +1xp

You put off picking your perk until you are sure you know what you want.

The scouts see moment in the forest and halt their advance.

Resources/Food:

Tools:

Weapons:

Robots/Clones:

Hero(s):

Glossary Posts

Spoiler: Author Notes: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:13:49 am by Evil Lincoln »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2013, 08:08:30 am »

Have the bots come back and set up some shelter.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2013, 08:11:58 am »

Have the researchers analize the plant. If there is free time, have them research Robot Researcher AI (RRAI, souns good, right?).

Why we should keep with robots: we have the facilities to make them, and the facilities to sustain them. We don't have any kind of facility dedicated to raise or otherwise sustain clones (no cloning tank, no room space, no food production)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2013, 08:21:34 am »

Alright alright, clanking masses it is.

How... loyal are the clones? Asking them to design a research AI could be construed as asking them to design their own replacement.

Fireteams 1 and 2 continue sweeping the area, and the robot harvesting vegetation should continue... harvesting.

For perk, I'm okay with Suave too. Hank could sell water to a drowning man.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2013, 08:33:51 am »

We hired them, so they have to obey us, because we are paying their master. just that. There is no loyalty to us, but as long as we pay, they will work.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2013, 08:36:39 am »

Hopefully you're right.

Have B&B start working on a research AI then. Something creative and controllable.

Hank should supervise for a bit, then take a laser pistol and shoot some targets because why not.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2013, 09:00:53 am »

AI-Plan sounds better in the long run. So +1 from me.

I also would like to think of Hank as the real brain behind the operation - not only the one having the money and giving orders;
Thus "Technicaly" gets my vote.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2013, 10:00:18 am »

AI-Plan sounds better in the long run. So +1 from me.

I also would like to think of Hank as the real brain behind the operation - not only the one having the money and giving orders;
Thus "Technicaly" gets my vote.
Eh good point. Changing my vote to Technicaly

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2013, 01:29:12 pm »

AI might be a bit above our heads for the moment. I vote we start with simpler things.

We have mining equipment, but started near a lake. As such, a pump is required before we can start drilling.
The other scientist, I would like to put on Identifying the food, and on blueprinting all of our equipment so we can start replicating it.

The oil rig should be deployed directly at the base, to test how shallow the ground water level is.
The mining vessel can start digging a low defensive ditch and associated wall.

We should activate the communication array, inquire about our surroundings, nearby settlements and the next visit of the Trader ship

Robots can continue exploring, preferably looking for this lake's water source, and some drier terrain uphill, where we can start our mine.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2013, 01:31:02 pm »

AI might be a bit above our heads for the moment. I vote we start with simpler things.

We have mining equipment, but started near a lake. As such, a pump is required before we can start drilling.
The other scientist, I would like to put on Identifying the food, and on blueprinting all of our equipment so we can start replicating it.

The oil rig should be deployed directly at the base, to test how shallow the ground water level is.

We should activate the communication array, inquire about our surroundings, nearby settlements and the next visit of the Trader ship

Robots can continue exploring, preferably looking for this lake's water source, and some drier terrain uphill, where we can start our mine.
+1 to everything.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »

+1 to everything.
Oh Pyramids! +1.
Hank should either help with researching (after all he is useless standing around) or start deploying the equipment.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:27:55 pm by evilcherry »

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:30 pm »

Technicaly

We should have Barnum run some tests on the mystery bulb and have Baily start work on some kind of mineral scanning device to search for a good place to start mining without drilling test holes all over the place.   
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2013, 07:50:57 pm »

I really wish I found this earlier. Ah well.

Well, lets get that mining rig going somewhere to the north of out base, perhaps in that clearing I see. get a fireteam to scout the area first.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35