Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Unaligned Mandate: Kingdoms of the Morning  (Read 5928 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Unaligned Mandate: Kingdoms of the Morning
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 12:17:08 am »

This actually sounds interesting as a concept, so ptw.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 01:20:29 am »

Which part sounds the most interesting? One problem I have is not knowing which parts people find exciting and which seem tedious.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 01:33:27 am »

Which part sounds the most interesting? One problem I have is not knowing which parts people find exciting and which seem tedious.

Stuff like in the game Majesty.  AKA guild-building stuff.  That seems the most interesting to me.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 01:37:16 am »

The automated heroes one.

One of the things I liked in Majesty was that heroes bought consumables and then used them in combat. This really helped both them and my economy.

Actually I've noticed that your opening post doesn't have anything specific about heroes.

EDIT: Also I suggest to acronym your game: TUM:KotM sounds pretty good.
._.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 02:59:10 am »

You mentioned Dominions 3 and I'm sold. I hope this project pans out!
*swarm of upward-pointing thumbs*
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 03:38:21 am »

One of the things I liked in Majesty was that heroes bought consumables and then used them in combat. This really helped both them and my economy.

Actually I've noticed that your opening post doesn't have anything specific about heroes.

What specifics would you like? I mainly covered how the system will generally work. It was already pretty TL;DR.

And yes, consumables are in. Even more than in Majesty. Crap tons of consumables are planned, as soon as I can get some decent herb/flower models for the various Orders and Guilds to pick.

The name is somewhat out of place right now, its part of a theme that this specific game doesn't follow to specifically. Later games when the engine has certain over world type features will follow that theme more heavily, mainly in their campaigns.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2014, 03:40:25 am »

You mentioned Dominions 3 and I'm sold. I hope this project pans out!
*swarm of upward-pointing thumbs*

Since this specific game is RTS city building RPG, Dominions 3 is probably the least important influence, at least for this project. Later games will probably be more Dom-ish. Also I bought 4 and its basically Dom3 with more stuff and interface improvements. Only played a couple hundred hours though, but maybe update that reference to Dom4 :).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2014, 05:41:12 am »

What specifics would you like? I mainly covered how the system will generally work. It was already pretty TL;DR.

And yes, consumables are in. Even more than in Majesty. Crap tons of consumables are planned, as soon as I can get some decent herb/flower models for the various Orders and Guilds to pick.

The name is somewhat out of place right now, its part of a theme that this specific game doesn't follow to specifically. Later games when the engine has certain over world type features will follow that theme more heavily, mainly in their campaigns.
Will high level heroes give orders to low level heroes? Like, if a high level hero wants to go buy something in the shop he will send a low level hero to fetch it for him?
._.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2014, 12:58:46 pm »

Will high level heroes give orders to low level heroes? Like, if a high level hero wants to go buy something in the shop he will send a low level hero to fetch it for him?

I hadn't planned on it. I could give heroes like a servant or something at a high enough level that can go buy them stuff or do errands for them.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »

How in the name of gods have you not planned on this thing? The heroic command chain is the very core of all Orders!

Oh and before I forget - can your heroes raise a rebellion against you? Say, if you tax them a lot, and then the order master decides that is too much and then he orders all his subordinates to attack your palace and then the other heroes gotta pick a side or maybe try to reason with the rebels and...

Seriously, think about it. There's much more potential in hierarchic systems than in all those "crafting" and "economy" systems.
._.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »

How in the name of gods have you not planned on this thing? The heroic command chain is the very core of all Orders!

Oh and before I forget - can your heroes raise a rebellion against you? Say, if you tax them a lot, and then the order master decides that is too much and then he orders all his subordinates to attack your palace and then the other heroes gotta pick a side or maybe try to reason with the rebels and...

Seriously, think about it. There's much more potential in hierarchic systems than in all those "crafting" and "economy" systems.

Depends on your focus I suppose. Reason with the rebels is a little bit complicated I think. There was in a later game a plan for much more hierarchy based stuff. Both in the battle AI and in administration. No rebellions, although that wouldn't be super hard to add. The only thing is taxes already have a marginal cost. Orders have to pay for their own stuff, like research and building upgrades, out of their personal treasury. So if you tax them too much you won't have enough in their coffers to make them better.

There will probably be a more political stuff in later projects using this engine though.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 04:01:11 am »

I finally manage to nail down save games. There was so much data to save and load and I kept getting weird bugs since the original save functions were not made by me and were not super functional. It works flawlessly now, which is fab since most of my projects require dozens+ hours on a single scenario/map/mission.

Saving is also a critical part of the new 3D map editor. That old map editor was the bane of Glest games.
Pages: 1 2 [3]