Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants arriving miserable?  (Read 657 times)

Machariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants arriving miserable?
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:36:05 pm »

I recently started a challenge fort in an evil glacier biome.  Things are actually going rather well.  I have a good gemstone and crafting industry going, and though I could not create a farm due to lacking water (no aquifers and I'm too lazy to pump it up from the caverns: besides, that would defeat the challenge!) I have been able to use essentially a contained "Chickensplosion" to provide food for the fortress.  Caravans provide more than enough drinks and food when they come.  Wood is even to be found growing in the cavern layers. I have a powerful enough military even at this early stage to deal with the denizens, though due to it being a glacier there is not really that much life to worry about.  Sieges never last long either: snowstorms make short work of the invaders.

For that last reason, I call it Dwarfengrad.

But there is a problem.  Migrants often arrive to the fortress extremely unhappy.  Some have even gone insane the instant they arrive on the map.  Thoughts of unhappy arrivals tend to include "Lost a friend to tragedy recently", "Was caught in a snowstorm", and "Has been starving".

Is it because these thoughts are being generated during their trip?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants arriving miserable?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:42:03 pm »

AFAIK, they don't generate thoughts during the trip. The being caught in a snowstorm could simply because they arrived while a snowstorm was happening locally.

Are you sure that the migrants haven't been stuck outside for a while or something? or do they have those the instant they appear on the map?

Machariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:49:37 pm »

When the screen switches to show the new migrants, they already have the red arrow indicating unhappiness.  In some cases the "Urist McUnhappy has gone stark raving mad/other insanity!" appears even before the message indicating the arrival of migrants or immediately after it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:53:12 pm »

Did you abandon a fort previously? Because the wiki did say that if you abandon a fort while some of the dwarves are still alive but have gone insane, the insane dwarves will migrate to the new fortress, however, multiple waves?

Other than the thing with dwarves from an abandoned fort, I don't think I've ever heard of this happening.

Machariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:08 pm »

Actually, it is a reclaim, but it's been several years and there were only maybe a dozen or so Dwarfs when I abandoned the firs time.  Think they're still latching on to migrant waves somehow?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »

Were any of the dwarves left behind in the reclaim insane in some way? I have no idea about insane dwarves and reclaims and absolutely no idea about them latching onto migrant waves.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:24:22 am »

Were any of the dwarves left behind in the reclaim insane in some way? I have no idea about insane dwarves and reclaims and absolutely no idea about them latching onto migrant waves.

I've seen reports of insane dwarves coming or going insane right after showing up in migrant waves on another fortress after one was abandoned. So I'd guess every dwarves still alive at the time of abandonment are counted as valid and their state is held in stasis until they shows up on map.

I doesn't make multiple fortresses in one world so I can't verify it myself, but it's probably the easiest way to make things work.

Actually, it is a reclaim, but it's been several years and there were only maybe a dozen or so Dwarfs when I abandoned the firs time.  Think they're still latching on to migrant waves somehow?

Sounds like they are coming back. It's usually easier to notice if you give them custom names, haha

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:55:37 am »

That's the most likely explanation - since world history is practically static at the end of worldgen, post-abandonment dwarfs are also put in temporal stasis and added to the 'historical person' reservoir of their parent civ, making them potential migrants to later forts.

The clincher is that all thoughts of the dwarf will _also_ be put in stasis, so a dwarf immigrating ten years later to a new fort can still have the happy thought 'has eaten in a legendary dining room', but will also have the unhappy thought 'lost a pet recently' over the cat that was auto-skewered in abandonment ten years earlier.

If there were only few (unhappy and starving?) dwarfs left in the old fort before you "rebooted", riding out the handful of old crazies should be annoying, but doable. Just be glad it wasn't a 120-dwarf fort in the middle of a tantrum spiral you abandoned.