Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A couple of questions, please  (Read 1529 times)

A couple of questions, please
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

1) What is the purpose of reserved bins?

2) Do dwarves ever actually clean? One barrack spar gone bloody seems to fill half my fortress floors with blood...

3) Is it possible to remove deceased units from the unit list? I've probably got a hundred dead foxes clogging it up.

P.S. Thank you, and sorry if this was already answered somewhere.

[ April 03, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of questions, please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

1 - i think this means that the pile wont take more bins, if there are fewer than the reserved number left in your total stocks.

i dont know though, cause i never tried it.

2 - dwarfs sometimes clean, if they have no other jobs, and they're really bored.  if you're lucky.  having a couple pesants do nothing but clean may help this.  maybe.

3 - i wish.

MrSidnet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:18:00 pm »

While we're here (and instead of creating another topic), what is the purpose of creating artifacts?

As I see it, I cannot do anything with it until my dwarf dies.  I see that it might create wealth, but are there any real genuine uses for artifacts?  My mason created a friggen Jet Door.  So now this guy has to drag it around wherever he goes, until he dies?

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 03:33:00 pm »

Thanks for trying puke.

Having dwarves set to clean doesn't help, unless they need some time (-like a season) of standing around idle.

As for MrSidNet, artifacts seem pretty useless to me generally. Your dwarf will get stronger from carrying them around, but half the time it doesn't matter because of all the exp. they get from building it. Sometimes (as happened with my bowyer) they'll create artifact weapons which should be equal (possibly superior?) to masterworks. Can't assign them to a different dwarf though.

Now 2 more for me:
4) Will dwarves ever use (narrow) or other such equipment?
5) If not, is it possible to have a smelter smelt strictly those types of items?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

dwarfs need more than a season of idleness to stand around cleaning.  its a very unreliable process.  sometimes they clean, sometimes they dont.

artifacts (even non-weapon artifacts) do a huge quantity of damage when you hit someone with them.  also, the creator should drop it after a few years.  this will allow you to place it as part of a room, and increase the value of the room for nobles or the king or whoever.  

"royal" quality rooms make dwarfs who use that room happier, so having an artifact bed in your barracs is nice, if not a little silly.

also also, they add to the overall wealth of your fort, which has various advantages in attracting certain types of nobles and such.

dwarfs never use small, narrow, or large equipment.  when you have a bookeeper, he can designate individual items to be melted.  until you have said noble, the "melt and item" order has no function.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

Thanks again puke. BTW I didn't signify artifacts generating wealth because I find it's generally not needed, having detailed floors in any sizeable room (like a barracks) seems to skyrocket the value anyways. -Assuming you've got good engravers.

MrSidnet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 04:36:00 pm »

Another question:
*Name* cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Job Item Misplaced.

What does that mean?

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »

2) Do dwarves ever actually clean?

YES. Cleaning blood doesn't really seem to work, maybe because it's huge smears that can (as you noticed) cover a sizeable part of the fortress. However, my indoor catapults cause dirt when they hit the walls, that is regularly cleared (although the place is busy enough as it is).

All sorts of dirt / blood / whatever disappear automtically at the turn of season until Toady comes around to make cleaning work as it should.

-what is the purpose of creating artifacts?

You get a legendary worker. The artifact as such is pretty much useless.

4) Will dwarves ever use (narrow) or other such equipment?

No. You'll have to browse through your stocks and have it chasmed every so often. Stockpiles for foreign produce near the cave river also helps, sooner or later stuff will be washed away by a flood.

5) If not, is it possible to have a smelter smelt strictly those types of items?

Yes. You need to designate a item for smelting (just like chasming). If a smelter is told to melt an item, he will only chose among designated items. A stockpile for foreign weapons and armor near the smelters will speed up the process.

--*Name* cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Job Item Misplaced.

It means just what it says: the dwarf can't find the thing he came for. Hauling about and processing foodstuff generates a lot of these messages, and most of the time you can't really find out what happened. May be that something has rotten, but the most common reason (I believe) is that Dwarf A wants to dump some Plump Helmet in a barrel (at the furniture pile) and goes to pick up the Plump Helmet; in the meantime, Dwarf B (who just placed some food in that barrel) takes said barrel to the food pile; Dwarf A finally arrives at the Plump Helmet, looks around, "Where's my barrel?" and drops the job.

[ April 03, 2007: Message edited by: schnobs ]

MrSidnet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

Cool, so basically, it's a harmless message?
Thanks for the answer. =)

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »

Regarding artifacts, there's nothing better than a no-skill peasant who gets possessed (not fey) and creates a really heavy artifact, like a floodgate. Then he only moves at a snail's pace. Had one guy STARVE to death cause he couldn't get anywhere fast enough. Got his artifact floodgate though, really brightens up a noble's room!   :eek:

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

I think artifacts are important for more than just gameplay reasons; it kind of adds a little bit of character to the dwarves.

You know, they get obsessed with a project, when they finish, it's their baby. Lose it, they go insane. I like the artifacts even if they're useless for a few years.  :)

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »

Xeirxes I agree with you, but there does need to be some reward (which there is,) since moods risk the life of a dwarf and occupy a workshop -and possibly much more if they go berserk. Gameplay-wise, the best thing about an artifact is the super-dwarf it makes out of the crafter.

That said the great thing about this game is that there ideally is no "right way" or "purpose" beyond leading your dwarves.
Hence the emotional attachment is key. (Although I question the psychology behind that with a motto like "losing is fun")

Edit P.S.- I scrolled past a few (including schnobbs') posts, and thanks for the reply. I know about the seasonal (seems like bi-seasonal to me though) cleaning, and as for chasming stuff I want to avoid it if I can figure out any other use for it. So far my weapons traps consist mostly of scavenged large daggers. I sense that I'm very conservative with resources, probably more than need be.

[ April 04, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 07:03:00 am »

As to the large daggers, there's not that much you can do with them:

- sell to caravan
- use in traps
- melt
- chasm

Also, any norrow (wide, ...) clothing won't be used for anything and only occupy storage space. As will Xworn clothesX that somehow make it to your piles.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 11:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by herrbdog:
<STRONG>Regarding artifacts, there's nothing better than a no-skill peasant who gets possessed (not fey) and creates a really heavy artifact, like a floodgate. Then he only moves at a snail's pace. Had one guy STARVE to death cause he couldn't get anywhere fast enough. Got his artifact floodgate though, really brightens up a noble's room!    ;)

[ April 04, 2007: Message edited by: Chthon ]

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »

Oh, I tried opening it...

...hmmm, that annoying governor who kept demanding rare gems just doesn't know how to swim...
 :roll:

Pages: [1] 2