Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eggs  (Read 956 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eggs
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »

I have 42 eggs in three nest boxes, and my dwarves are refusing to cook them. How do you get dwarves to cook with eggs?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:39:59 pm »

Checked the z-kitchen list to make sure the eggs are set to blue? Stockpile linked to kitchen accepting eggs?

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:41:18 pm »

Chicken eggs and goose eggs are both enabled in the kitchen screen. Do the eggs have to be in a stockpile to be cooked?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »

I actually don't know if it has to be, I usually let the first few batches hatches so I have kitchen and stockpile prepared by time I want to cook them. Ideally it should if it's not being given to by a stockpile, but DF treats things a bit erratically sometimes.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:01:21 pm »

If you have your nestboxes behind doors, try if the doors are forbidden ;)
First I had my eggs in nestboxes right next to my foodstockpile / kitchens.
Once they were laid, they got taken out from my dwarves.
As I wanted to hatch, I put some nestboxes in a 3x3 room, as well as a pasture zone with turkey hens (males apparently don't have to be in the same room. Having a male specimen of any species ANYWHERE on the map automatically impregnates all females with semen somehow) and forbid the door.
After a year or so the room was flooded with little pittle itsy bitsy burdies...
As soon as I unforbid the door, my dwarves all ran to the room and got the eggs out.
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:16:59 pm »

My dwarves are not hauling the eggs or using them to cook. There are no doors and no burrows. I do not know why this is.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »

yes, eggs first need to be moved to a stockpile before they can be used to cook, that is after all the idea behind disabling it from all stockpiles if you want hatchlings. Check if there is a stockpile accepting eggs that isn't accepting from links only or something

There are more things that need to be moved to a stockpile before they can be used, harvesting plants is the easiest example. Untill the plants, or eggs in this case, have been taken out of their 'building', they are not recognized for other jobs
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:49:27 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:14:11 pm »

Thanks, but I do have a food stockpile that accepts eggs. Maybe my dwarves are just too busy making +rock mugs+ and dumping rocks to haul the eggs.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:19:41 pm »

are your eggs above ground?  They may be treated as some type of refuse or what not if so, and you may need to allow your dwarves to collect outdoor items.
Nom nom nom

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:36:28 pm »

The eggs are below ground.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 09:42:07 pm »

Thanks, but I do have a food stockpile that accepts eggs. Maybe my dwarves are just too busy making +rock mugs+ and dumping rocks to haul the eggs.

Pick one dwarf and disable all of their labor but food hauling and see if that helps if you suspect they're too tied up. I usually have at least one dwarf with hauling disabled except for food.

are your eggs above ground?  They may be treated as some type of refuse or what not if so, and you may need to allow your dwarves to collect outdoor items.

Eggs are treated like food as far as I've found, only thing that'd stop gathering eggs would be to disable food hauling in the o menu. That'd usually disable hauling food in general and seems to stop dwarves from eating too.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54:51 pm »

Eggs will be cooked right from the nest box.  But because it's not in a barrel it will have lower priority than all other food in barrels for making meals.

This is one way to make them use dwarven syrup.  They will run and grab one egg stack from a nest box because they need a solid item, then they will go grab 1-3 barrels of syrup to finish the easy/fine/lavish meal.  Assuming you're only allowing eggs and syrup for cooking.  And there's no eggs in barrels.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 03:27:24 am »

never knew that. Now I learned something new
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:46 am »

Nothing but eggs is enabled in the z-kitchen screen.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:58:50 am »

If they're not hauling the eggs to a food stockpile that has eggs enabled, there is something wrong besides cooking.  Links, burrows, (o)rders, forbidding, labors, blocked path.

If they are all good, then I got nothing.
Pages: [1] 2