Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do this for me please.  (Read 1149 times)

Manture

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do this for me please.
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:51:19 pm »

There is a bug in Dwarf Fortress where apes and monkeys can't punch. They can only scratch and bite, which is very untrue. Apes and monkeys basically fight the very same way we do, and they also have opposable thumbs, which means they can hold weapons but maybe not use them properly. I'd like to see this being implemented.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Do this for me please.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:00:32 pm »

I just posted the solution in your thread in the suggestions forum. Essentially add this to primates:

Code: [Select]
[EQUIPS]
[ATTACK:PUNCH:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:GRASP]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:punch:punches]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Manture

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:06:51 pm »

Doesn't work, I tried adding it to the Chimpanzee and it still says "You don't have a free grasp" does this only work in Adventurer Mode? I want it to be on object testing arena aswell.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 02:12:06 pm »

Ah, I see. They use BODY:QUADRUPED, not BODY:HUMANOID. They have 4 feet, and not 2 hands and 2 feet. Just replace the quadruped with the humanoid.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:14:55 pm »

That should definitely be fixed. Vanilla chimps even have "front feet", and so do macaques. The idea is that they shouldn't be able to grasp, apparently (why else), but they at least need a bodygloss.

Manture

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 02:23:22 pm »

That should definitely be fixed. Vanilla chimps even have "front feet", and so do macaques. The idea is that they shouldn't be able to grasp, apparently (why else), but they at least need a bodygloss.

They can definitely grasp, have you heard of the Chimpanzees that made spears out of rocks? I've also personally seen a Chimpanzee fighting another with a wooden stick.

Ah, I see. They use BODY:QUADRUPED, not BODY:HUMANOID. They have 4 feet, and not 2 hands and 2 feet. Just replace the quadruped with the humanoid.

Works now, thanks!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:27:45 pm »

It seem to be pretty much a carryover from much older version and aimed for how most of them moves, rather than walking on two legs. Does STANCE and GRASP works together properly?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:44:14 pm »

It seem to be pretty much a carryover from much older version and aimed for how most of them moves, rather than walking on two legs. Does STANCE and GRASP works together properly?

yes, there are even vanilla stance arms body parts

[BODY:4ARMS_STANCE]
[BP:RUA1:first right upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]
[BP:LUA1:first left upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[BP:RLA1:first right lower arm:STP][CON:RUA1][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:LLA1:first left lower arm:STP][CON:LUA1][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:RH1:first right hand:STP][CON:RLA1][GRASP][STANCE][RIGHT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:80]
[BP:LH1:first left hand:STP][CON:LLA1][GRASP][STANCE][LEFT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[BP:RUA2:second right upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[BP:LUA2:second left upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[BP:RLA2:second right lower arm:STP][CON:RUA2][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:LLA2:second left lower arm:STP][CON:LUA2][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:RH2:second right hand:STP][CON:RLA2][GRASP][STANCE][RIGHT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[BP:LH2:second left hand:STP][CON:LLA2][GRASP][STANCE][LEFT][CATEGORY:HAND]

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 03:01:33 pm »

yes, there are even vanilla stance arms body parts

[BODY:4ARMS_STANCE]
[BP:RUA1:first right upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[BP:LUA1:first left upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[BP:RLA1:first right lower arm:STP][CON:RUA1][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:LLA1:first left lower arm:STP][CON:LUA1][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:RH1:first right hand:STP][CON:RLA1][GRASP][STANCE][RIGHT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[BP:LH1:first left hand:STP][CON:LLA1][GRASP][STANCE][LEFT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[BP:RUA2:second right upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[BP:LUA2:second left upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[BP:RLA2:second right lower arm:STP][CON:RUA2][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:LLA2:second left lower arm:STP][CON:LUA2][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:RH2:second right hand:STP][CON:RLA2][GRASP][STANCE][RIGHT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[BP:LH2:second left hand:STP][CON:LLA2][GRASP][STANCE][LEFT][CATEGORY:HAND]

Creeping eyes and Manera in creature_next_underground are the only ones I could find that uses it with quick searching, there're also ARMS_STANCE for just a pair of arms, but couldn't find anything that uses it. Also noted that both of them were added in 31.xx, I'm not familiar with 40d and before modding, though. Most of the primates were from long before that.

Either way, good to know that it's supported now :D