Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bridge and goblins  (Read 395 times)

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bridge and goblins
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:57:22 am »

hey guys,

if i have build a bridge with mechanisms to raise it and a pit so noone can cross it raised, can goblins still cross it?

every youtube video i see has bridges AND lots of traps. why? cant i just raise the bridge and they cant come in? goblins also cant destroy walls can they?

thanks guys

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: bridge and goblins
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:59:41 am »

Bridge-raising's a routine way to block a fortress off but it's pretty boring to show, plus it blocks caravan trade if sieges happens or leaves them exposed to ambushes. Also sieges can take years to go away if there're enough of them coming and going.

At least I almost always raises bridges when I can.

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:16:51 am »

the traps are for the sneaky single monsters that try to get into your fort and steal things or children. Also, for small sieges what I've been doing is leaving the gate open and letting the goblins shred themselves on my traps (its much quicker that way). For the more complicated sieges I raise the gates and have marksdwarves pick them off from my ramparts and towers (these obviously come later than sooner).
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:49:44 am »

ok so basically bridges are for to putting my fortress under quarantine. nothing comes in nothing comes out.

traps are for faster killing enemies, more fun and thiefs.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:44 am »

Yup, that's the gist of it :D

Killing things when possible makes it less dangerous for caravans and get sieges over with quicker. Some things won't trip traps, but if you have spikes attached to something that keep it moving, it'll grind anything that comes across it.

In early fortress, though, it's better idea to shut up when there're not enough manpower to set up and clean traps or to protect from it being overwhelmed.

Traps also blocks caravan pathing, though, so keep that in mind.

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:02:37 pm »

yeah when planing my defens just now i have 3 things in conflict

1. caravan
2. traps
3. woodcutters

either i have only outside caravans
or i have less traps that i want
or my woodcutters and hunters have to passa labyrinth to get outside and every hauler that carries wood inside ...

well i m sure i will work this out somehow, thanks so  far guys :-)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 07:55:30 pm »

on 3.
Underground tree farms are your friend there, plus ordering a lot of wood (mod in the human guild representative to order wood from them too). If it's for charcoal among things, order bitumous coke and lignite too, much more efficient
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.