Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: nobles need own dining rooms?  (Read 4495 times)

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
nobles need own dining rooms?
« on: August 11, 2013, 07:29:03 am »

hello

i just now got my first nobles (mayor, sheriff) and they want quaders,offices and dining rooms.

ok i get the office and iu get the quader, but does EVERY noble realy need his OWN dining room? wtf

and another question: where do i see what quality a room has? up to now i just guessed and put stuff in a room untill he becomes "better" but are there lists somewhere or examples of the different room qualities?

NO there arent any in the wiki. it only says what each noble needs but nothing about rooms and their quality exactly. well it telly me to put a leaver in a room and connect hundrets of engraved mechanisms, but i want to build more "normal" rooms :-/

another small question: do my own dwarfs trigger my own traps? or could i place them everywhere and noone would get harmed (except fainting ones) ?

thanks guys :-)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:33:52 am by Prester »

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: nobles need own dining rooms?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:35:17 am »

There is a list along with some tips at the wiki:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Room#Quality
Usually, large rooms with smoothed and engraved floors and walls with high quality furniture will suffice.

Ingame, press R to get a list of all rooms and such.

Dwarfs (and animals belonging to the fortress) will not trigger traps, unless the become unconscious.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:39:41 am by Laurin »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:40:31 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Room#Quality

Add up value of material in the room, smoothed walls counts as block and engraved wall have decoration on top, that's closest I does and takes more work than just putting in more stuff. If you want more 'normal' room, then you could go with cloth decorated ropes and pretend they're carpeting.

Not all nobles need dining room, but most of them does. I tend to put broking, book-keeping and manager into one dwarf to keep things simple.

Dwarves won't trigger your own trap, unless it's pressure plate set to detect civilian. However, if they're stunned or knocked out, trap will trigger, it does on anything. Same for webbed.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:48:28 am »

There is an expample of two suites of rooms:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:54:51 am »

Funny thing is, they need all those rooms, but they don't check if it is actually more then one room.

So my big fancy noble rooms have the beds (Noble+family) and the table, plus all the other necessary furniture, and I assign bed/chair/table to the three room functions.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 08:41:17 am »

Funny thing is, they need all those rooms, but they don't check if it is actually more then one room.

So my big fancy noble rooms have the beds (Noble+family) and the table, plus all the other necessary furniture, and I assign bed/chair/table to the three room functions.

I used to do that, but it's easier without artifacts to have separate rooms, overlapping rooms drop values pretty quickly. Though having it look nice and arranged within 'proper' space is something I enjoys too.

Though I still do it for mayors because screw trying to rearrange everything for them!

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:43:45 am »

ok thanks guys :-)