Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I cannot chop wood?!  (Read 1868 times)

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I cannot chop wood?!
« on: April 01, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

I just started a new game and no matter what i do the dwarves won't chop wood. I got trees designated and stockpiles set up and one dwarf has all his jobs turned off except chop wood, and yet he still does nothing.

ARGH!

Dave

Xenomorph

• Bay Watcher
  • has sprung from ambush!
    • View Profile
Re: I cannot chop wood?!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

Did you take an axe with you?

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »

Did you remove the axe from your starting build? If that's the case then you'll be limited to the wood from wagons (save it for charcoal) until the metalsmith shows up with an anvil so you can forge an axe.
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »

Maybe another dwarf has woodcutting set as labor, and he's carrying the axe? Nah, in that case he would actually start, wouldn't you think? And I recall that disabling woodcutting has the effect that the dwarf under consideration drops his axe immediately.

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 01:20:00 pm »

It's always so simple... i thought WHOA 200 more points to spend... DOH!

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

In that case, you have a very interesting handicap. No extra barrels this year. No beds.

Maybe you should await the first immigration wave, instead of trying to set up a metal production immediately--that takes a lot of personnel, or a lot of patience. In the first year, I have few of both  :)

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

I habitually start my fortresses without axe. As has been mentioned, two boards from the carts should be turned into charcoal; lacking other pastimes, the woddcutter could already make some bronze (copper, silver). As soon as your metalsmith brings the anvil, you can forge an axe.

If the boards have already been used... though luck. Hope for immigrants.

However, I once found myself in just this situation when all of a sudden, the woodcutter sprang up to pick up equipment. He went to the far upper left corner of the map and came back with an iron battleaxe. How it came there is anybodys guess.

Might have been the remains of a stray caravan guard, but IIRC there was only the axe. No armor, no remains.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

I've seen the strange phantom weaponry too. Usually when I'm bringing items to the depot on the depot screen. They're always at least iron and always (imported). I've had spears and crossbows and axes. But there's no armor with them, or anywhere else on the map, so I'm not sure they're caravan guard remains.

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

Schnobs,

Where do you get the copper and silver? I've yet to have any silver.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

How much wood would a wood... nevermind.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

You have to mine into the mountain and get ore. The ore is smelted into metal bars, and the bars into metal objects such as axes.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

Silver is a common material. It can be anywhere and usually isn't hard to find. The very first event in my very first fortress was that we struck silver, just a few steps past the cliff face. It's all a matter of luck, of course: sometimes the veins appear to be hiding, and hiding well.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

Yeah, I consider it a bad sign when I don't hit silver or copper before the river. And am loathe to mine out the limestone edges down/upward for ore (like to leave them intact for self-contained floodable tree-farms). Sphalerite and Cassiterite are useless on their own.

Once I have a metal industry up and running though, I'm always making tin barrels for booze though. Even if brass would chew up ore faster, I just like the way they look.

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by KikkyMonk:
<STRONG>Where do you get the copper and silver? I've yet to have any silver.</STRONG>

Silver shows up as "galena" until you smelt it into bars.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Smelter

Torrefaction

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »

I'm having this same problem.  But I have an axe, and woodcutting enabled under pref's on labor.  All of a sudden, I can get no one (regardless of who's holding the axe) to cut trees.  I've tried canceling the designation and re-enabling it, turning wood cutting off and back on, and switching cutters...but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Pages: [1] 2