Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed Shortages  (Read 1970 times)

Eniliad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Seed Shortages
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:40:31 am »

I've read a few threads about this problem, but I don't think I'm doing wrong what they are... I'm just at a loss as to what's going on here or what I can do.

I've noticed a common problem with every fortress I try is that food just isn't replicating itself fast enough. I've been following guides and using Plump Helmets as my crop of choice for starting out. I also modified my starting loadout so I began play with a very large number of Plump Helmet Seeds (50!). I'm using 3x5 plots, started with 2, then dropped to one when I started running short on seeds. I've got a stockpile solely for plant seeds and designated my general food stock to NOT accept it. The only good accepted besides seeds is potash, which I can't yet get because my Ashery isn't online yet. I am not cooking anything, because I still have a bit of other food and I read that if a dwarf eats the Plump Helmet, I get a seed back anyhow. I'm having my Still create alcohol on Repeat, which is supposed to create additional Plump Helmet seeds. However, despite my anemic planting demands, I just can't keep the fields seeded or a surplus of seeds. I have tons of finished Plump Helmets, several dozen across a couple barrels, and I only rarely have to refresh the Repeat command to make more alcohol. Distance is not a problem, because as this screenshot shows, I have a highly efficient setup linking wood, seeds, farms, stocks, etc...

http://imgur.com/zUzV6iN <-- EDIT: Just realized I labeled a Stockpile a Farm on my screenshot. You know what I mean. :P

Note that most of the stocks in that stockpile for General Food are various alcohols; my dwarves are incredibly drunk (so at least I've got that right) but the whole "producing excess food" thing is eluding me. Can anyone give me a hand letting me know what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
Eni
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:42:57 am by Eniliad »

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed Shortages
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:24:19 am »

I'm not sure about what the problem is. Also 50 seeds on embark sounds like an exaggerated amount... I usually bring exactly 9 seeds per crop, and that inevitably leads to an overflow of seeds in a bunch of seasons only.

Are those kittens confined in the general food stockpile via a pasture zone? Pests will happily munch on your seeds if they are allowed to.

Otherwise, I'm really clueless. The way I go is this:
- I go with a 3x3 plot as soon as the initial 7 strike the earth. Plump helmets it is.
- I usually have a small seeds stockpile next to the plot accepting seeds and no barrels, only accepting from links (this is to avoid "plump helmet seeds required" spam").
- Secondary seeds stockpile somewhere around which is taking from everywhere and giving to the main one.
- Turn off plump helmets cooking in the Kitchen screen.
- Turn the harvested plump helmets into wine asap to get seeds and repeat the process.
- rinse and repeat.

Now, to make production go faster, you want to get as big a stack of harvested plants per planted seed.
- Your best bet to do that is dumping a few points in grower skill at embark (the more skilled the dorf who plants the seed, the bigger the stack you'll harvest).
- If you don't want (or can't) bring an experienced farmer at embark, just train up one. You can set standing orders to have plants be harvested by those with the grower labor enabled only (this will help you condense experience on your farmer)
- Potash also makes you harvest larger stacks ofc.

All in all, be sure you keep pests under control and always have seeds available (disable distilling for all unwanted crops and make some booze to insta produce more seeds out of stocked plants) at the ready for planting. Given enough cycles you'll be swimming in seeds in little time
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:42:50 am »

You have barrels enabled on your seed stockpile. Thus, the dwarfs will store seeds in bags and the bags in barrels. Whenever a dwarf hauls a seed, say from the dining room, he will take the barrel with lots of bags and hundreds of seed with him. So you get spammed with no seed messages.
Set barrels to zero on the seed stockpile, that should solve the problem.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:18:10 am by Laurin »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:58:06 am »

Four pointers;
-Separate drink and food stockpiles, it's good organization and allows at glance determination of amount left.
-Never enable barrels in seed stockpile, and keep it separate from food and drinks. Seeds in barrel makes for a lot of non-planting because it's being hauled around.
-Check that your farm's set to plant as much as possible, if you're suffering from low food. And never process all of your plants at once.
-Check that cooking is disabled for seeds and plants ( z-kitchen, red is disallow ). It is disabled by default, but sometimes oddities happens or you get new plants after embark ( I can't read that tileset so I can't tell if kitchen's there ). Kitchen cooking also don't gives seeds.

Those usually takes care of all of my farming issues, other issue might be you just have a lot of plants, but there're not much seeds because it's not been processed/eaten yet. I always brew/mill/process anything I plan to cook to make sure I gets the seed first.

As for amount of seed you're bringing in, 50 is huge. I buy at least 100 plump helmet, and that usually gives me that much seed back without buying any after brewing or dwarvs eating them while digging out and setting things up. I bring 10 of other kinds because no plants and grow them on idle lands.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 05:10:57 am »

another thing you mentioned is that you still have tons of plump helmets. Consider them a sort of seed storage. When you're using a lot of them, you'll be starting to get more seeds too. Otherwise, most likely reason for slow work or cancelation spam is the previously mentioned problem with seeds&barrels
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Eniliad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:33:12 pm »

I'm not sure about what the problem is. Also 50 seeds on embark sounds like an exaggerated amount... I usually bring exactly 9 seeds per crop, and that inevitably leads to an overflow of seeds in a bunch of seasons only.

Heh, clearly I'm doing something wrong then. Actually, taking 50 was experimental; I was thinking maybe the shortage of seeds had something to do with just not having enough to replace them as fast as I was brew-

Actually, that might still be an issue. Nobody says I can't have two stills, and my surplus mushrooms are an indicator I totally can do that.

Are those kittens confined in the general food stockpile via a pasture zone? Pests will happily munch on your seeds if they are allowed to.
Not per se, but at this stage the fortress is small enough they don't have a lot of room to roam. Also, my corpse/refuse pile is literally piled with their kills, so they seem to be doing their job. :)

Otherwise, I'm really clueless. The way I go is this:
- I go with a 3x3 plot as soon as the initial 7 strike the earth. Plump helmets it is.
- I usually have a small seeds stockpile next to the plot accepting seeds and no barrels, only accepting from links (this is to avoid "plump helmet seeds required" spam").
- Secondary seeds stockpile somewhere around which is taking from everywhere and giving to the main one.
- Turn off plump helmets cooking in the Kitchen screen.
- Turn the harvested plump helmets into wine asap to get seeds and repeat the process.
- rinse and repeat.[/b]

I've bolded a couple things because, well, I'm not entirely sure I understand them. For one, I'm not entirely sure what "only accept from links" actually does. The wiki says it "disables automatic stockpiling", meaning that...dwarves won't automatically take seeds to that stockpile when there's room? I'm not sure why I'd want to turn that off. Also, the second stockpile "feeding" the first one kind of confuses me. I can only assume that this gets around some of the bizarre dwarf AI, but I'm not sure exactly how. If you/someone wouldn't mind explaining this one a bit more, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Now, to make production go faster, you want to get as big a stack of harvested plants per planted seed.
- Your best bet to do that is dumping a few points in grower skill at embark (the more skilled the dorf who plants the seed, the bigger the stack you'll harvest).
- If you don't want (or can't) bring an experienced farmer at embark, just train up one. You can set standing orders to have plants be harvested by those with the grower labor enabled only (this will help you condense experience on your farmer)
- Potash also makes you harvest larger stacks ofc.

Oh, I embarked with two farmers. They have skill at Growing, Brewing and... something. I forget what else. Though I'm considering altering the loadout so that I can craft more bags, which clearly I don't have enough of at start. Since I don't have many bags, I can only assume that the seeds are being directly stored in barrels.

You have barrels enabled on your seed stockpile. Thus, the dwarfs will store seeds in bags and the bags in barrels. Whenever a dwarf hauls a seed, say from the dining room, he will take the barrel with lots of bags and hundreds of seed with him. So you get spammed with no seed messages.
Set barrels to zero on the seed stockpile, that should solve the problem.

Aye, that's likely the issue, but again, now I run into another issue: I wasn't aware bags were so vitally important. >.< So I started with a low number of bags and low cloth. I'll be sure to modify the loadout so I have more of either bags or cloth at embark, whichever is more efficient. At least, I'm assuming that's a problem; I'm not entirely sure what the heck my dwarves are doing for storage without them. Likely storing the seeds directly in barrels, as I said.

Four pointers;
-Separate drink and food stockpiles, it's good organization and allows at glance determination of amount left.

Good idea, actually. I'll try that.

-Never enable barrels in seed stockpile, and keep it separate from food and drinks. Seeds in barrel makes for a lot of non-planting because it's being hauled around.

Yeah, that's likely the #1 issue with this system.

-Check that your farm's set to plant as much as possible, if you're suffering from low food. And never process all of your plants at once.

I'm actually not cooking any of these Plump Helmets at all. O.o I'm just letting the dwarves eat them and recover the seeds. Seems the logical thing to do, at least until I can start getting a surplus.

-Check that cooking is disabled for seeds and plants ( z-kitchen, red is disallow ). It is disabled by default, but sometimes oddities happens or you get new plants after embark ( I can't read that tileset so I can't tell if kitchen's there ). Kitchen cooking also don't gives seeds.

No kitchen built as of yet. I've room to expand and build one should I need it.

Those usually takes care of all of my farming issues, other issue might be you just have a lot of plants, but there're not much seeds because it's not been processed/eaten yet. I always brew/mill/process anything I plan to cook to make sure I gets the seed first.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to, as migrants come in, start constructing additional stills and double the brewing. The issue is, though, with constant hauling of barrels, the Brew Ale (R) order is constantly getting cancelled. Thinking that the barrels themselves are the issue, and once I start using more bags, that'll change.

As for amount of seed you're bringing in, 50 is huge. I buy at least 100 plump helmet, and that usually gives me that much seed back without buying any after brewing or dwarvs eating them while digging out and setting things up. I bring 10 of other kinds because no plants and grow them on idle lands.

It would probably be a better idea to bring the helmets than seeds anyway, because it takes time as my miners excavate my planned rooms, so they can eat the food and create seeds as they go. So yeah, let me see about posting the relevant details of my embark profile and see what I'm doing wrong (likely: quite a bit. But it leads to hilarity, and of course Fun down the line.) :)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:48:46 pm »

I've found that a still will service at least 100 dwarves with half-way decent brewer and stockpiles set close enough, I can manage around 200 dwarves on 1 stills and two brewers taking shifts. As for brew on repeat getting cancelled, I just go to manager and order a batch of 30 brew jobs and ignore the cancel spam. Your issue sounds more like you need to crank out a lot more barrels, I goes for at least one alcohol barrel for each dwarf, but one every four is tolerable, since only one dwarf can use one barrel at a time.

Well, as long as you have an axe, an pick and an anvil, there're not much you can mess up in peaceful area other than overpacking junk :D

As for your stockpile linking question, Only Accepting from Links makes it so that stockpile can't gather from everywhere and only takes thing from stockpile it's set to take from. Otherwise it's ignored if it's not taking from other stockpiles. It won't stop the spam, but it'll reduce it somewhat!

Each bag can store the full 200 seed limit, it's dwarves aren't very good at packing seeds into bags. It's hard for dwarves to figure out how to take bags out of barrels too! Disabling barrels does get around hauling AI somewhat since they tries to take the whole container to pick things up nowadays and having multiple seed bags helps to manage that somewhat.

Since I don't see much mentions of spam, I'm pretty much wagering on the plants not being eaten or brewed fast enough to keep up with the farmers :D

Eniliad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:22 pm »

Alright, taking a look at my embark profile, and actually, looks like I accidentally removed bags entirely from my starting loadout. That has been corrected. Starting with about 15 bags and cloth to make more, should I need it.

Alright, giving this a try. ^_^

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 02:41:01 pm »

my only comment there was going to be if you select seeds to take they come in a bag so each variety of seed only takes one to bring along a bag ... but I'm still working on the vanilla embarks ....
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 03:53:38 am »

You can set stockpiles to take from other stockpiles/workshops (t) or give to other stockpiles/workshops (g). Just to put this straight: setting up stockpile A to give to Stockpile B also means stockpile B will take from stockpile A, obviously.

The "Take from everywhere" or "Take from links only" determines whether the stockpile will receive its contents from the rest of the fort (in addition to the stockpiles it is taking from) or not.

But anyway, I can guarantee all of those tricks are not even remotely required to get yourself plenty of new seeds to plant.

I just suggest you go for smaller plots (3x3 is more than enough to feed 7 dwarves, both in terms of food and booze), and a 6x3 one will likely feed up to 50 or so, especially if you're getting larger stacks due to skilled farmers. Just be sure you turn plump helmets in booze, and you'll have tons of seeds in little time.

I suggest you try and ignore everything else regarding farming at the moment. Just try to get into the habit of turning enough plump helmets into wine for having enough seeds for the next crop, while still leaving some spare for your dwarves to eat.

Everything else will come naturally to you as you get the hung of it. I have a feeling you're thinking about too much stuff at the same time.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Eniliad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »

Yeah, probably. I've only been playing a few days, so everything is still a bit overwhelming. Going to be honest and say that the interface really doesn't help; don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast playing Dwarf Fortress, but it's the only game I've ever played where the menu system is as cavernous as the world I'm exploring. XD

So, I tried disabling barrels in my seed stock without worrying about the feed A to B thing just yet; not that it isn't probably invaluable advice, it's just again a bit over my head as I adjust to the various quirks of DF. And almost immediately I noticed a massive improvement in keeping up with things. I believe the problem was that Stills seem to require one finished Helmet and one Spawn, and when fetching said spawn, they would spring for the entire barrel rather than just taking one. Rather odd. At any rate, I continued this trend and experimented with disabling barrels in a stock dedicated to Plump Helmets, so I wouldn't have that issue whenever a dwarf wanted to eat, but a Still worker wanted one for brewing. Well, sadly, it seems I can't store Plump Helmets in bags, and they opt to just leave Plump Helmets over the store-room. Silly if you ask me, though if there's a workaround I'm missing I'd appreciate it. The other issue, other than space as the mushroom supply grows obviously, is that doing so seems to spawn flies. Hordes of them. So it seems I may have to leave the helms themselves in the barrels.

I do hope that as development of this game continues, the AI for this gets tweaked a bit so they can take 1 item from a barrel, so this sort of silliness doesn't become a problem. It is rather amusing in terms of hilarity when a dwarf opts to steal an entire barrel, but uh... in terms of actual success, it's rather hampering. xD

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 05:29:24 am »

No worries, development on DF will continue (and btw, you can help out Tarn&Zack by donating if you like the game. Every little contribution counts!)

Storing food outside of barrels generally isn't advisable. It would be more subject to pests and flies will swarm the place. Dwarves don't like flies at all.

Seeds though, I always store those in a dedicated stockpile and disable barrels. Dwarves do carry the whole container when moving things around, so having them a barrel full of seeds means a whole lot of seeds are temporarily unavailable to other dwarves.

And nope, Stills do not require spawns or seeds of any kind to make booze.

I don't find the interface to be that bad. Yes, it's a bit convoluted, but it's functional too, once you get the gist of it. Not saying it couldn't be improved ofc.

I suggest you read the wiki article about Farming. It touches on most there's to know about the matter and can help with getting you up to speed with the system before tackling more advanced set-ups.

Feel free to ask if you face anymore issues!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:10:57 am »

Disregard, redundant.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:43:01 am by Larix »

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 07:38:04 am »

It's probably worth noting that while stills don't require a seed to do work, they do produce one (or more depending on the plant stack size) as a product. This creates a stockpiling job if there's space available in a suitable pile and will cause the observed barrel hauling if barrels are enabled for the pile.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:58:14 am »

I've had problems with seeds in the past being stored in a barrel in a main stockpile and then expecting bags to go to the 'take' stockpile.  I believe dorfs have a problem unloading things in barrels into a stockpile without them.

I've never used one since and rarely get spam about missing seeds.  I usually leave a 3x1 seed stockpile next to each 3x3 farm plot.  Within 2/3 years I'm usually cooking every seed I can (except rock nuts) just to try to reduce the amount I've got in storage.  I wish there was a way to limit how much seed would go in each bag, personally.