Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I killed my outpost liason and my game is buggered  (Read 641 times)

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I killed my outpost liason and my game is buggered
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:43:40 am »

Well, I didn't so much kill him, as I failed to prevent 20 goblins from executing him in an arrow barrage and dumping his body in the river.  It even caused him to haunt my fortress.  None of my dwarfs really cared, but anyway...

Because of his death, I was never awarded a barony (since the guy doing the awarding was now a pissed off spectre).  That in itself is fine, but the following year I was then immediately promoted to Mountainhome, skipping all other noble promotions.  That in itself is fine, too.  But a bigger problem is that I didn't receive a monarch.  I got his entourage, but no monarch.

Even that in itself is fine, but the biggest problem of them all is that the nearby goblin civilization seems to be ignoring me.  I have over 5 million in wealth but neither mega beasts nor goblins seem interested in taking it.  For about two years I had a large ambush every spring and autumn (coinciding with the caravans), as well as the occasional mega beast.  But ever since mountain homeage, this fortress is boooooooooooring.  Sometimes a vulture flies by, but that ends pretty quick once 50 marksdwarfs simultaneously volley it.

I did recently pass into the Age of Legends, so that might account for the lack of excitement.  Also, the neary goblin civilization is rather puny.  Only one noble and he's simply called "administrator."

It's been about 2 years since mountain home status.  I think the fort was around for 2 or 3 years before that.  Did the outpost liason death doom my fortress to boring peace and quiet?  Maybe my fortress wealth isn't being properly accounted for by surrounding entities?  Or am I just impatient and this is all pretty normal for a fort?  I'm starting to get really bored, and tempted to mine into HFS.  But that isn't so much exciting as it is surrendering.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:45:13 am by grody311 »

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: I killed my outpost liason and my game is buggered
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:44:25 am »

i do not think it was the liason's death but the mountain home promotion since now that i think about it. ever since my monarch revealed himself among the peasantry my fortress has been quite except for wild life.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:56:21 am »

I think I've heard of this happening back in 40d, so this might be an old bug. The getting the king and turning into a mountainhome event is known to be glitchy.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:09:32 am »

I think I've heard of this happening back in 40d, so this might be an old bug. The getting the king and turning into a mountainhome event is known to be glitchy.

I've seen it happen mostly when the dwarven civ are technically dead and have no leaders, since even then, kings were historical entities.

Yeah, if you becomes a mountainhome, you don't get liasions anymore, which can skip barony if you time it well. Or accidentally.

Age of legends probably happened because you killed off so much things :D
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Calendar#Ages
Kill off more megabeasts and you can get more ages!

I've gotten years of quiet between sieges even in 40d, so I don't know if it's really abnormal or they've just got a lot of distance to cover before getting to you. Ambushes are pretty constant, though. Wealth should be properly accounted if caravans are still trading and you're still selling stuffs to them, or using them for trash duty in any case.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:19:10 am »

Given what the OP said, it sounds like that is what happened since the entourage is generated and are not historical figures, I think.

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:20:06 pm »

The nearby Dwarven civilization is rather puny as well.  I think there was no monarch to arrive when it was time for him to arrive, as you guys mentioned.

I'll give it another year then.  I suppose I should find some mega project to keep my dwarfs occupied with in the meantime.

I'll have to be pickier with world gen and embark finder next game I think.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:10:04 pm by grody311 »

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:38:12 am »

It sounds more like you killed much of what would otherwise attack you.

backup your save, abandon fort and use legends viewer to check whats'up in your world. I.e. check if there are FBs/Titans and other nasties still alive, also check your local goblin civ to see how it is faring.

You can restore the back-up and continue playing as normal once you've investigated.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 05:27:05 am »

Yeah I think I just demolished these poor villains.  I did finally get 2 more forgotten beasts and a full fledged siege, but neither resulted as so much as a visit to the hospital by anyone.

Well, good to know that the dead liason didn't bug my game.  It's much more to do with a world and embark point that's probably too safe for someone who actually knows how to play the game now.  Next embark is going to be a sinister glacier I think.

Thanks for the input guys.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08:08 pm »

if you have no monarch dfhack contains a make monarch function

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 05:41:12 am »

Oh right yeah I could have done that with dfhack.  Oh well, I already kind of moved on from that fort.

New fort is in a haunted forest.

Well, the new new new fort is.  The first new fort in the haunted forest got decimated by an undead moose in the first month.  Then the second new fort got decimated by a pack of undead bugs on the first day.  This time I'm bringing along a military dwarf to help establish an early foothold.  Three months in and so far so good :p