Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Renovate Floor  (Read 800 times)

Eniliad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Renovate Floor
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:20:49 am »

This may be answered already, but I've googled around and can't find the answer. Maybe I'm searching the wrong terms. Ah well.

I'm very new to DF and adjusting a bit to the... well, everything. Let's face it, DF isn't highly newbie friendly. xD Anyhow, I'm using a graphic tileset which, if screenshots from guides I've found is any indication, is the tileset that everyone uses. Now, while it certainly makes things a mile easier to understand than the original ASCII graphics, I run into an issue when, during my initial dig-in, a Silt Wall and a Silt Cavern Floor look basically the same. It makes it very difficult to distinguish rooms I've laid out and I was wondering: Is there a way to either replace what the floor in these rooms are made of, or pave over the silt, or something?

Cheers,
Eni

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Renovate Floor
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:34:31 am »

Aye. You can build floors, I think it's in the b -> C menu, keypress-wise. f loor.

You can also build paved roads which take up less material, but are harder to build on. (I don't think you can build on floors either, but I might be wrong. Haven't played with em in a while.)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:42:26 am »

to clarify the poster above me, you can build on constructed floors as long as its not another construction.   Workshops, furnature and the like can go on constructed flooring just fine.   So feel free to lay down new floor tiles if you need it for asthetic reasons.

As to roads, I cant say for sure as I dont recall ever building them  somewhere I intended to build something else.   I think they follow the same rules as flooring for other constructions but I've never tested.   considering your working on what amounts to a dirt floor you could even try just puting a dirt road down.  they do wear out over time but should change the texture for you and I doubt it will block too much in the short term.   long term your probably going to move down into stone layers and only have farms up in the silt anyway.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 02:35:35 am »

constructed roads can't have furniture on them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 05:37:27 am »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH I was wondering what the point of making floors instead of roads was.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 06:13:30 am »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH I was wondering what the point of making floors instead of roads was.

well for one, floors look a lot better.

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:17:09 am »

I like the look of green glass floor grates. They also have the benefit of letting you still access any sand being covered up (not really all that important but worth noting.) If you have time and inclination, play around with different flooring materials to create designs in your floor.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 07:25:58 am »

Can't place stockpiles on roads, either, or doors. Really road's just good for throughfare that's not expecting to be used for anything but walking, preferrably where dwarves usually go through since it helps their mood, if they notices. I pretty much only use constructed floor to cover holes or in soil layer where I'm worried about plant growth and still need to build things on it too. It can be used to make higher quality room with more expensive material, but it's not something I usually do.

Bridges works if there're holes in the way since road need solid underlying, they both uses same amount of material to build and same skills. Bridges are a bit annoying if you're linking bridges to pressure plates and levers, too.

I doesn't uses graphic sets so roads, smoothed stone floor and constructed floor all looks the same to me, bridge looks somewhat different. Soils are mixture of . and , unless furrowed, which makes them look like waves.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 07:42:12 am »

I like the look of green glass floor grates. They also have the benefit of letting you still access any sand being covered up (not really all that important but worth noting.) If you have time and inclination, play around with different flooring materials to create designs in your floor.

Actually, I've found floor grates built on underground sand (or clay) being your supply points for glass/pottery industries is immensely helpful.  As the grates still let you access what is underneath, it stops moss/underground trees etc from growing on those points once you open up the caverns.*

*not my original idea - read about it here at bay12.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 08:24:00 am »

Actually, I've found floor grates built on underground sand (or clay) being your supply points for glass/pottery industries is immensely helpful.  As the grates still let you access what is underneath, it stops moss/underground trees etc from growing on those points once you open up the caverns.*

Yeah this fort I'm playing now is the first one I've had a booming glass industry in. Highly useful. Everything is green glass and it looks pretty sharp (no pun intended). Somewhat related: which is more valuable a floor grate or engraved floor? how about a floor grate on an engraved floor?
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 08:27:04 am »

Yeah this fort I'm playing now is the first one I've had a booming glass industry in. Highly useful. Everything is green glass and it looks pretty sharp (no pun intended). Somewhat related: which is more valuable a floor grate or engraved floor? how about a floor grate on an engraved floor?

Floors can't be engraved, but smoothed stone can be. I think.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:08 am »

Constructed floors cannot be engraved, but natural floor can be once it's smoothed. Engraved floor can be more valuable ( I think you can put grate on it, but I've not bothered to engrave floors in a long time ), if it's made out of valuable material. However if material value the floor is built of is lower than what you can easily obtain ( common stones are value 1, fluxes are 2, obsidian is 3. Green glass are value 2 ), then you're better off manfacturing blocks and grates to layer things up. Really I'd recommend statues for areas that don't need to be passed.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Material_value

Smoothed floor have block modifier, engraving's decoration ( 10x base value and then material and quality modifier ). Block construction floor and grate ( 10x before material and quality ) are pretty much identical, value-wise, if made out of same material.

Eniliad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 02:52:35 pm »

Perfect. Thank you very much for the help. :)