Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49800 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #240 on: November 15, 2013, 02:22:42 pm »

Okay, so I fucked about with NVidia control panel and have had a lot of success overriding graphics settings and getting much higher FPS out of it.

My specs are:

Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
NVidia GeForce GTX 470
6 GB RAM
Non-SSD hard drive (if that makes a difference)

My NVidia Control Panel 3D Settings:

Code: [Select]
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic filtering: 2x
Antialiasing - FXAA: Off
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: Off
Antialiasing - Mode: Off
Antialiasing - Setting: None
Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
CUDA - GPUs: All
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 3
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Power management mode: Adaptive
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation: On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality: Performance
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: On
Threaded optimisation: On
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical sync: off

With these settings I've had much higher and, more importantly, more stable framerates, without sacrificing any noticable graphics quality. I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it works great for me so I figured I'd share.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2013, 02:25:08 pm »

Thanks. If no optimization happens soon I might use those options. Right now I am getting at least 30 fps most of the time so I am happy.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #242 on: November 15, 2013, 04:37:45 pm »

How the hell can you target your friendly freighter to watch what it's up to in system? I can see it on the local map but there is no way to target it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 16, 2013, 01:14:13 am »

So, after 5 hours, here's my impression:

Wow. This is just so bad. I mean, the gameplay seems to have some depth beneath it, but it's an HCI nightmare. I would be fine with the first person perspective, just as I was in X3, except for the fact that you can't see anything because the useless cockpit HUD takes up half your FOV. The HUD is terrible, and due to the tiny size of semi-transparent and rapidly moving icons, gives almost no information. The poor FOV combines with the delayed turning, lack of usable 3D indicators, and complete lack of ability to move other than forward (aside from a token gesture from maneuvering thrusters) results in a terrible spinning around constantly to try and find what you're looking for. Not only does this become disorienting really fast, but due to the terrible graphics and clutter, it becomes nauseating.

Being required to walk around in the stations is annoying because of the waste of time the largely empty hallways present; and it's made infuriating by the control-locking conversation with NPCs, whose dialog you need to wait to finish even if you turned off the voice sfx because they are all terrible. No, I don't need to spend an additional 3 second per conversation to have an npc say 'fuck of, wanker;' which is basically what they say to you when you end a conversation. They didn't even try to make dialog immersive or witty in the least. After talking to a station commanded, I end the conversation, and she says "Go boil your head." Another was "That was a great conversation -- NOT." That's just stupid! Did they hire a middleschool student to write this shitty dialog? And yeah, the half second pause required between each UI interaction (or more, if it's an in-cockpit hud element) is absolutely abysmal. Especially since it usually takes several of such interactions to get to the bottom of the very deep nested command trees. In dwarf fortress, to build a door, it's 3 commands. But it isn't bad, because you can hit "B-C-D," in an immediate sequence and within .25 seconds, have 'build door' selected.

Also, the fact that it randomly crashes and, so far as I could find in the options, has no autosave feature is not appreciated.

So yeah, there might be an interesting game in there somewhere, but I can't seem to see it. Though, granted, my vision is obscured by a massive cockpit overlay, so it could be right in front of me.

Edit: And it seems RPS agrees with everything I have to say: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/15/x-rebirth-preview/
If there’s a game under all this ‘immersion’, I intend to find it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 01:41:46 am by alway »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 16, 2013, 02:06:52 am »

I'll wait a year or so for when it gets fixed.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 16, 2013, 04:55:00 am »

Guess I'll wait for Afterbirth

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 16, 2013, 05:09:23 am »

Phew, good thing I had too little money to justify a pre-order. Sad, I was really excited for it too but I'll wait for it to be fixed or buy it if there's an awesome holiday sale.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 16, 2013, 05:51:17 am »

I actually really like the cockpit view. Though my only problem is that the little icons overlayed on the HUD tend to go behind the cockpit itself so I can't see them anymore. It really needs one of those 3D radars like in Evochron Mercenary. Also, there really needs to be a way to tell what the hell your ships are doing. Just a rough ETA or something would be nice. Other than that, and the performance issues which I've mostly worked around now, it's a great game. Just not to everyone's taste.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:37 am »

hum. nothing new on the x front i guess:
userinterface made by physic students with aspergers for physic students with aspergers
shitty grafics performance
fancy grafics
space trade and combat game \o/

gawd.... hate myself for playing it... yet... cant stop.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 16, 2013, 08:04:53 am »

Phew, good thing I had too little money to justify a pre-order. Sad, I was really excited for it too but I'll wait for it to be fixed or buy it if there's an awesome holiday sale.

this, at least for getting a downloadable version with the last fixes.....

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:24 am »

userinterface made by physic students with aspergers for physic students with aspergers
Physics student and non Newtonian space doesn't sound like the best combination.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2013, 08:39:47 am »

realistic physics in space games would be unplayable unfun. even said asperger guy would notice that.
there is a reason its never done, tho i dont get the reason why its requested over and over again.
having month of acceleration and deacceleration? having your computer shoot at stuff a million miles away, that you cant even see exept on your monitor, waiting an hour to know if you actually  hit it?
yeah. hail newton.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 16, 2013, 08:51:06 am »

Elite, Freelancer, Terminus, X-Wing Alliance, Wing Commander (optional), KSP, and quite a few other had it. In fact, that pretty much sums up all the classic space simulators. Really, I don't demand 100% realism, but someone should notice that space doesn't have the same properties as maple syrup.

((No point in arguing actually. Lack of grammar, username and overall rudeness/attitude suggest troll.))

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 16, 2013, 10:20:59 am »

Would fluidic space have the same properties as maple syrup? That's really all I have to contribute, carry on.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #254 on: November 16, 2013, 10:52:52 am »

I honestly don't want to deal with 100% realism and all the things it entails so I am okay with a game behaving like a game.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28