Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49812 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2013, 07:22:17 am »

I've slowly come around to the whole 'only one ship' thing but I just wish the ship wasn't so damned ugly...
It's not called skunk for no reason.

Anyway i think i'll wait this one out since i love the series (well X3 onwards because i bounced off the earlier titles like a rubber ball against a steel wall).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2013, 07:56:10 am »

Am I the only one who was on board with the only having 1 ship thing from the get go? It sounds awesome, because you'll grow attached to that ship and it'll become yours as you upgrade it. Kind of like Firefly or Mass Effect, or FTL in a sense.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2013, 07:58:03 am »

I'm neutral. Not that it matters, as I'm not going to buy the game. Don't have the hardware to run it.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2013, 08:36:14 am »

Me of 5 years ago would have scoffed at the very idea and moved on. It's the main reason I didn't play DarkStar One. Me of today, however, thinks it's a cool idea, letting the designers bring life and personallity to the one ship. I'm hoping there's enough customization to really make it your ship.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:57 am »

Both concept can be fun, all that matter is how well crafted the universe is and if the game mechanics are good. I'm reasonably exited by what they have shown so far, but I still expect a buggy release.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2013, 01:33:50 pm »

Me of 5 years ago would have scoffed at the very idea and moved on. It's the main reason I didn't play DarkStar One. Me of today, however, thinks it's a cool idea, letting the designers bring life and personallity to the one ship. I'm hoping there's enough customization to really make it your ship.

I played Darkstar One briefly - what turned me off about it wasn't so much the only-one-ship restriction, but that the customisation of that ship was actually very shallow, at least from what I could see in relatively early-game.  Given Egosoft's history, I'm comfortable that they'll avoid that trap with Rebirth.

Frankly, whenever I was flying any ship in earlier X games, conceptually they were all simply "my ship" to me anyway - it's just that sometimes "my ship" was faster and smaller, sometimes it was bigger and slower.  :P  All the other ones I was controlling remotely - which is pretty much what it sounds like will happen in Rebirth.

I'm reasonably exited by what they have shown so far, but I still expect a buggy release.

Yeah, given the, uh, intricacies of the game universe, market, AI etc, I'm expecting it to wobble a bit for the first couple of weeks.  I'm okay with that, though.  I'd rather have a deep game that's mildly buggy and then fixed for free (as per Ego's history) than a shallow game that's riddled with 'features' and missing content, which are either left as-is or are 'enhanced' in later expansions or paid-for DLC, as seems to be growing annoyingly more common.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2013, 02:27:59 pm »

well, the memory leak of the mission manager of  tc3 brought the game to a total halt. it was fixed with ap.
the bug of the laser animation of some of the storry line ships that made finishing the storry line almost impossible, and  wasnt fixed much more early. they introduced permadeath with an ap update, without fixing the autopilot randomly killing the player or having some station docks that would destroy the player if he docked with a corvette.

so yeah. expect a buggy release.

mind you, i can accept that its actually very hard for smaller studios to produce games this complex without struggeling with bugs, and usually i am fine with it.
but  if it realy is gamebreaking, and obviously easy to fix (as community fixes existed for YEARS before the devs bothered to fix it)... this realy pisses me off.

well. still kind of like the series, and even if i had personal expiriences with the devs that make me think they are total dicks, i kind of want this game to succeed.

will proably buy despite all this, and cruse my self afterwards (as always XD)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2013, 08:42:20 am »

x rebirth alpha play right here = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypKKr44ZHcA
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2013, 06:34:05 pm »

8 more days, im getting hyped........

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »

Ehh.. so thats the deadline before i loose the littel remaining social life i have XD.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2013, 08:54:01 pm »

Ehh.. so thats the deadline before i loose the littel remaining social life i have XD.

that or keep your remaining social life and wait for Star Citizen, but i doubt it will be that good.....

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »

Call me insane but i wish to be capable of personally piloting a mining barge and watching as my tiny little slave drones fly around my TL and mining asteroids (there was a mod that basically allowed to transform a TL into a large mobile ore/silicon mine that mined things via specialized drones.
Not to mention things like MARS that literally transformed any capship into a (Drone) carrier.

Of course i doubt there are many people as demented as me who would actually manage to take pleasure in watching drones scoot between your ship and an asteroid field slowly filling up your cargo bay.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2013, 09:14:42 pm »

Call me insane but i wish to be capable of personally piloting a mining barge and watching as my tiny little slave drones fly around my TL and mining asteroids (there was a mod that basically allowed to transform a TL into a large mobile ore/silicon mine that mined things via specialized drones.
Not to mention things like MARS that literally transformed any capship into a (Drone) carrier.

Of course i doubt there are many people as demented as me who would actually manage to take pleasure in watching drones scoot between your ship and an asteroid field slowly filling up your cargo bay.

::raises hand::

I glean great pleasure from watching minions, robotic or otherwise, scuttling about as they do my bidding.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2013, 11:00:42 pm »

Clearly anyone who played as miner in eve online would like the same thing as you.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2013, 11:58:17 pm »

so what do you want? do you want to mine - or do you want to travle to where your mining ship is stationed, switch into your mining ship, then mine, and once youre done, fly back to your other specialized ship you now use for the next hour?

personaly, i bloody dont care about the switching ship part, and i totally do not like that travle to get to my other ship part.
thruth: i dont care about the whole mining thinigy anyway. but then, this kind of is exemplary. as long as i can do the same things and i have the same feedom of doing stuff i had in previous x games, i do not need ship switching.
in fact, i strongly prefer a highly customizable ship over a bazzilion of specialized ships where all i can do is swapping out the guns.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:02:56 am by motorbitch »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28