Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49729 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 06:34:21 am »

http://www.egosoft.com/news/current_en.php#news926

If you look closely somewhere in the first half of the trailer, you'll notice the player walking through a space station with little HUD symbols appearing above the NPC's there. There's also a bit where you walk up to your cockpit and sit down. They also mention getting discounts for exploring space stations, which implies you really do get to wander about and interact with people on board the stations.

I can't find a direct link about the player ship, but it's been confirmed multiple times. You can only fly the Pride of Albion and remote control various drones. You can still buy other ships and hire pilots to fly them for you, though.

cool thank for the reply, and i saw a few other development videos not long ago which detailed the station walking not long ago its really amazing in my opinion.

I'm really disappointing about only being able to use the only ship its sort of lame
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 07:17:01 am »

Apparently the other games in this series were very moddable too, so some modder is going to make you able to pilot multiple ships sooner or later, even if (s)he has to do some hacks for it to work :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 07:35:30 am »

I was pretty disappointed about the loss of multiple ships at first, too; however I've gradually been warming to the idea as I've been thinking about how same-y all the ships you could fly in X3 were. Sure, there were lots of them, but even the capital ships flew like big, bumbling fighters if I remember correctly. If they've traded that breadth of ships for a deeper, more interesting ship experience, well, I can't say I'm sold, yet, but my fancies are certainly tickled. Especially with the possibility that later installments in the Rebirth series could add more breadth while keeping the depth, though that's quite optimistic of me.

Even better if it flushes out the capital ships as something different that actually feels more capital ship like (at least to me). And with drones taking the place of fighters from what I gather, and prices for ships/drones (probably) not based around providing player progression from small ships to large ships, I'm really interested to see how it turns out. Especially if they give us something really good to do with our fleets in the late game. There were plenty of brick walls to throw your assets at in X3, but the game didn't really feel like it was originally designed with sort of gameplay in mind, and it always felt shoehorned in, to me.

I just hope that I'm not wrongfully excited about this game... and that my old computer can run it.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 07:40:23 am »

The thing is - what DO ship interiors bring to a sandbox-like game? Sandbox games are all about creating your own story, your own empire. Things that you're worried about are getting profit, trading and missions done faster. Having to walk around a station to find the trader every single time, even if he's close, is more than the time it takes to click a trader button and, you know, trade, which is what you came here to do. Not to walk around and look at samey stations for the millionth time.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 07:51:38 am »

From what I understand, actual trading still takes place using the standard trading menus.  Meeting people on stations is more related to quests, missions, shady deals, bartering and the like. As your trade empire grows, 90% of the trading will be done by your trading ships anyway.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2013, 10:44:21 am »

I'd have to say the best way to cope with the multi-ship loss is to treat this game as a non-X game. Well, yeah, the first games didn't have the multi-ship feature anyway, but on the other hand, the series have been known quite a long time for its multi-ship features.

Either way, I'm pumped for this, one ship only or not.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 10:53:38 am »

I just don't understand how they can reconcile "sandbox game where you can do anything at all" with "also you can never fly any other ship"

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2013, 11:02:22 am »

Admittedly, it is jarring to experience a sandbox game with no possible customization in the form of being able to ride other ships, yeah. Still, I'm willing to keep my judgement away until its actual release. If they're going to release multi-ship in the form of DLC, I think I'm gonna frown though. (Must elaborate that they should've added this feature right off the bat)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:15:33 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 11:05:01 am »

YES.
FUCKING.
PLEASE.
Black lives matter.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:17 am »

I just don't understand how they can reconcile "sandbox game where you can do anything at all" with "also you can never fly any other ship"

The same way many other sandbox games don't let you change into another mob? Changing ships is fun and gives an awesome sense of progression, but personally I don't think it's an essential feature for space sandbox games. At least the main storyline isn't going to force us to take a specific ship to do certain missions this time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2013, 11:53:35 am »

The same way many other sandbox games don't let you change into another mob? Changing ships is fun and gives an awesome sense of progression, but personally I don't think it's an essential feature for space sandbox games. At least the main storyline isn't going to force us to take a specific ship to do certain missions this time.
So you see nothing at all wrong with a trailer that literally claims you can do anything at all, except for pilot something other than this one ship? It makes no sense within the theme they have going. You can walk around on stations and interact with anything but you cannot pilot anything but this one special ship.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 12:31:48 pm »

There's at least 5 or 6 different sorts of probes, which you can pilot virtually. Also the ship is moddable, and customizable.

Besides, the old ships weren't so different or unique. Barring a few values, little actually changed when you switched. Ok, there's a difference between a fighter, a destroyer and a cargo ship, but it's not that big.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 12:45:28 pm »

So you see nothing at all wrong with a trailer that literally claims you can do anything at all, except for pilot something other than this one ship? It makes no sense within the theme they have going. You can walk around on stations and interact with anything but you cannot pilot anything but this one special ship.

Nope. One of the first lines in the trailer is "You are the pilot of the Pride of Albion." This pretty much sums it up for me. In this game, you're not a famous person who pilots ships really good. You and the ship are one. Like Captain Kirk and the Enterprise, or Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon. The story is about the ship. Just like how it was the Millenium Falcon that did the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, and not Han Solo.

So when they say you can do anything, it's assumed you'll be doing it with the Pride of Albion.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 01:18:50 pm »

Nope. One of the first lines in the trailer is "You are the pilot of the Pride of Albion." This pretty much sums it up for me. In this game, you're not a famous person who pilots ships really good. You and the ship are one. Like Captain Kirk and the Enterprise, or Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon. The story is about the ship. Just like how it was the Millenium Falcon that did the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, and not Han Solo.

So when they say you can do anything, it's assumed you'll be doing it with the Pride of Albion.
And screw you if you'd rather be something other than that I guess, yeah? I don't really like the ship tbh and I normally trade out for a freighter so I can make money trading and start some business stuff going.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 01:29:49 pm »

There's at least 5 or 6 different sorts of probes, which you can pilot virtually. Also the ship is moddable, and customizable.

Besides, the old ships weren't so different or unique. Barring a few values, little actually changed when you switched. Ok, there's a difference between a fighter, a destroyer and a cargo ship, but it's not that big.

100 cargo versus 40000 cargo? What's a couple orders of magnitude between ships? I mean... come on...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28