Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49796 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2013, 04:10:33 am »

Well, AFAIK, you are stuck piloting one ship directly, the Albion Skunk. I'm not too sure if you're allowed to hire wingmen/buy ships, but they said for sure that you can commandeer a capital ship somewhat indirectly, in the sense that you're the captain issuing orders instead of X3's take of making you pilot the capital ship personally.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:12:57 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2013, 04:33:39 am »

Wasn't it also the case that your ship can latch onto another and pilot it like a command pod or something? Or was that cut?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2013, 04:50:11 am »

I'm sorry if this is a necro (I don't really think it is, at least that much - besides, the game's only a few weeks away) - I just wanted to ask a question or two. I've tried to find out, but is it possible to change ships in this game like in the other X games or are you stuck in the one ship for the entire game?
Because that's a big thing I'd like to see happen.
So yeah. Sorry for the almost necro.

Did you read the whole thread? We talked about it pretty extensively.

Facts:
You may pilot only the one ship, the Albion Skunk, directly. This is similar to the original X game, X: Beyond the Frontier, where you pilot only one ship.
The Albion Skunk can be customized to suit your needs (details foggy).
You may pilot certain drones launched by your one ship.
You may hire pilots of other ships. These include trading vessels (both specialized and general haulers), mining vessels, combat vessels and whatever else.
You may conduct mining operations and trading operations yourself, or you may automate it. Doing it yourself (even with the assistance of hired AI pilots) grants some benefits.

Conjecture:
The Albion Skunk may have linear progression, similar to "leveling up". It was mentioned in a dev video that at least some weapons must be "unlocked". Whether this means that the craft is experimental and needs to develop the slots or other infrastructure necessary, if there are mid- and late-game weapons that must be researched, developed or found, or if there is something more similar to an RPG level system, no one's really sure.

Here's some additional information at the official Egosoft forums:
[INFO] Ships and stations: What is yours and how you control it
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2013, 04:56:20 am »

Huh. That actually sounds much better than I feared.
Of course either way I'm still getting it, but this just makes it more confirmed.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2013, 06:28:53 pm »

Preordered and fizzing with anticipation. Good thing I have AC4 and PoE to tide me over
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2013, 02:46:35 pm »

Pre-ordered.

Seriously considering booking a week off work in the second half of November.  I've got the holiday days to take...it just seems woefully indulgent to take a week off purely to play Rebirth and do a chunk of Nanowrimo!  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2013, 03:42:15 pm »

I think I'll try to take that Friday and Monday off... er wait. NA release is different, no? Crap.

--
Actually I think digital release is 15th, physical copies are staggered.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2013, 08:03:53 pm »

Well i just heard in an interview that yes you only control 1 ship for now, but in later installement we will have more freedom in the number of ship we can pilot.

So yeah the X series starts off with less *playercentric* features but thats gonna change with the years and new patch/improvement or sequel, that series really hitted me and i cant wait to play with the new rebirth.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2013, 09:04:45 pm »

Sorry, hearing that just lost it for me. Being able to choose which ship you wanted to fly was the big turning point in the series for me where it became a must buy game. Sorry Egosoft, you lost yourself a sale on this iteration.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2013, 10:55:41 pm »

Sorry, hearing that just lost it for me. Being able to choose which ship you wanted to fly was the big turning point in the series for me where it became a must buy game. Sorry Egosoft, you lost yourself a sale on this iteration.
He meant you can only fly one ship at a time.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2013, 03:52:21 am »

He meant you can only fly one ship at a time.
Nope, there's only 1 ship you can fly, and that's the Pride of Albion, sure, you can fly around with some remotely controlled drones, order your fleets around, or even control Capital ships from the bridge, but you won't be at the steering wheel.

I don't mind actually. I only used a few ships, and the customization of the  Albion should be enough to fill those needs. Besides, modders sure as hell are going to bring multi-ship flight back.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2013, 04:40:26 am »

I think only flying one ship is a good thing it lets them focus I this on ship an do a lot with it. All I yet hope that the ship we do have is extremely customisable as to feed the need to have other ships. With the other X games I always felt a little lost on what ship to fly as well haha.

Already preordered this I think it's going to be amazing just the whole scale of the game is amazing and with the size of the stations and everything else it seems like a really immersive game.

Do we know any more about the economy yet ? I know that it is truly a living economy now where stuff built does not just disappear but is used by everything, are there any more details ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2013, 04:42:16 am »

The previous X-game also had a living economy, you know. GoD just wasn't that good at economical decisions.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2013, 06:05:30 am »

I've slowly come around to the whole 'only one ship' thing but I just wish the ship wasn't so damned ugly...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28