Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Their Coming Is At Hand II - an Eldritch Invasion RTD (Turn 9!)  (Read 23264 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Their Coming Is At Hand II - an Eldritch Invasion RTD (Turn 0!)
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2013, 02:29:28 pm »

Alfonz stands up pulling a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and shimmying one of the few inside out into the palm of his hand he sighs before speaking,

"Well lets go see whether we pulled the suicide mission or the definitely suicide mission cards, I'm starting to get the feeling that we're going to get replaced by those matchboxes of warmachines."

With that Alfonz lights the smoke, takes one puff and makes his way down stairs to meet with General Moore.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2013, 02:30:20 pm »

Hey, DHH, who's this "miauw63" on the enemy waitlist? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2013, 03:33:54 pm »

Hey, DHH, who's this "miauw63" on the enemy waitlist? :P

It's the next model of you. I'm afraid you've been deemed obsolete and set for termination, old boy!

And yes, I might put some waitlists up.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2013, 04:26:28 am »

"Quick sweep through the area, individually. The more ground we cover in the fastest time, the more sectors we can cover and hopefully the better our scanner radius."

Alessa turned the radio frequency to the general state after answering back in Russian, however crude it still sounded, aware that if in case any other voices were present, they'd be heard. This was more of a curious notion than not, as even the vastness of the landscape fazed her compared to what she was now viewing through the optics.

This was what the world was facing, and it was a great enemy.

"What kind of instruments are present, Sacha?" she said, keeping her own accent in check. "We aren't authorized to fire on this thing, so do we have anything in the means of reconnaissance?"

Inquire, then commence scouting/investigation.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2013, 05:25:50 am »

So, waiting on Mcclay now?
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2013, 09:42:01 am »

Yeaaah... I didn't think I'd have to wait this long for replies to the first gawddawn update. Although there's nothing stopping me from starting the next update for everyone else, hmm hmm.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2013, 11:03:28 am »

Start writing up Turn 1 for everyone who's replied, if you want. It'll save time until the next turn.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2013, 12:32:24 pm »

Alex brushes his hair out of his eyes before pointing at the city.
We go around, I don't want some fucking sea spawn breaking all of our shit because we wanted to fell safe. No place is safe anymore, so let's just get fucking to it.
Alex lights a cigarette and smiles.
Remember, whoever gets the first kill gets double alcohol rations, I want first blood.

So we are going to war against the Destroyers of Lemuria?
Aye, and we'll bring hell down upon them before the day is through.
Good,it has been long since we have tasted blood.

((green is Alex, lime green is the Fae.))
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2013, 01:22:04 pm »

Alex must be really far gone if he thinks he's hearing the Fae talk to him, and in a language/concepts he understands.

Wrote wolfchild's bit today, will properly start tomorrow.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »

Alex must be really far gone if he thinks he's hearing the Fae talk to him, and in a language/concepts he understands.

I posit that to shield his mind against the Fae, he developed a secondary personality that he thinks is the Fae to act as a buffer zone.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2013, 01:31:50 pm »

I posit that to shield his mind against the Fae, he developed a secondary personality that he thinks is the Fae to act as a buffer zone.
Or maybe the Fae is just really friendly and Scottish. The world may never know.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2013, 02:15:58 pm »

Or maybe the Fae is just really friendly and Scottish. The world may never know.

Heh.

What more do you need?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2013, 07:54:47 pm »

Heh.
Heheh.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2013, 06:09:15 am »

Turn 1
Note of the Day: Though all Abyssals possess a dangerous mind-affecting field, there is practically nothing than can resist a Dreamsinger at close range.
---

Calla
"Raul! what's going on?  I can hear the cannons firing but there is no alarm" Keep up with Raul, if it is something I should help with or obsever do so, otherwise chat with Raul

'Hey, Calla. I don't think that'll last for much longer,' Raul says. His tone becomes more serious. 'We had a sub out there. Lost contact half an hour ago. Ribeiro gave the order to shoot flares out, see if anything's heading our way. I'm heading up to the roundroom to bring these to him.'

He motions with the files in his hands. Calla falls in step as Raul starts up towards the upper floors of the outpost. The 'roundroom' is an old artillery bunker built into the cliffside long ago, converted into a command and observation room for the rest of Stillwater Station. The military outpost hosts a handful of submarines and heli squadrons for keeping an eye on the coast. The guns and the mines are to block Abyssals from entering the rivers, and if they fail, thanks to her they still have something extra. It's been enough... for now. This is just one outpost and defending the entire coast is impossible.

Brazil has not faced any incursions for several months now. The fact does not give Calla solace. She can feel them, every waking moment, moving in the ocean depths. Sometimes she thinks she can recognize Gaugathun among them.

Calla's not surprised to see it raining outside as they come up to the bunker. Even without one of them near, it feels like there's always a storm going on these days, atleast on the coast. The roundroom is full of activity, soldiers and staff moving between bright monitors and occupied computer terminals. The grey concrete walls are practically invisible beneath the wealth of screens and cables. The air smells of rain, coming through the opening in the wall - she supposes they used to fire the artillery out through it. In the middle of it all stands Ribeiro - Calla's first real ally from Guadapari. He's come a long way - he's Captain Ribeiro now, for one.

'Sergeant, Calla,' he says, all-professional, when the pair reach him. Gouveia hands him the files, and Calla's eyes drift to the horizon through the slit in the wall.

The descending flares light up the night with their reddish glare, illuminating the tips of waves as they crash into the cliffs and coastline. Further out there's little human eyes could see... but Calla is not human. Her sight isn't quite on par with what military optics can do, but it is superhuman.

[3] The sea seems, if not calm, undisturbed from below the surface. A cold drizzle of rain chills the morning outside, but otherwise it seems as normal as any day can be here. The treetops are strangely devoid of animal sounds, though, but in these times it's hard to tell if that signifies anything. [1+1=2] Calla reaches out with her mind, but are rewarded only with a pounding headache. If there's anything out there, it's beyond her senses.

'Can you feel anything?' the Captain asks after a moment. 'I've half a mind to send choppers out. Have them sweep the area the sub was in last.'

There's an unspoken question of Calla's opinion at the end that she can see in his mind as clearly as it was written on a chalkboard. She knows her unique senses would be of more use than searchlights onboard, though that doesn't actually cross Ribeiro's mind. The captain has never really learned to protect his mind - sometimes Calla thinks that's her fault - and she can see his swirling worry and guilt over the sub crew and the steel layer of determination keeping it all from affecting him in the slightest.

Spoiler: wolfchild (click to show/hide)

Alex Vondgas
Alex brushes his hair out of his eyes before pointing at the city.
We go around, I don't want some fucking sea spawn breaking all of our shit because we wanted to fell safe. No place is safe anymore, so let's just get fucking to it.
Alex lights a cigarette and smiles.
Remember, whoever gets the first kill gets double alcohol rations, I want first blood.

Theo grimaces at Alex's tone, but grunts his assent. He revs the engine and turns the jeep towards the marching Olympians. The warmachines lumber through the landscape with agonizing slowness and the jeep roars past them in no time. They take a side road going past the city, occupied by one or two recon vehicles who don't pay them much heed. Theo speeds up to leave even them behind. Alex's cigarette tumbles out of his hand onto the withered fields and he mutters a curse.

The road is still in good condition, surprisingly enough, though Alex thinks the Olympians coming behind them will make short work of them. Their forms tower over the car and Alex tries not to think about what would happen if they decided to step on the compact vehicle.

[1] 'Alex, is that-' Theo starts, just before an inhuman shriek splits the air. It seems to come from many throats simultaneously, high and low, everywhere and distant, reverberating in the air in a way that sends chills up Alex's spine. [1] Theo goes white, losing his grip on the wheel and slamming back in his seat as if pushed by some physical force. [1] Before Alex can take the wheel, the car pulls to the left and rushes over the edge of the road at high speed.

The jeep goes tumbling, rolling over in the cold dirt, [6] but it's of remarkably sturdy make. Alex takes the battering he receives slamming against the car's insides with calm - in fact, it seems to take more of a beating - and it draws to a halt a moment later, ending up on its side.

Alex climbs out of the vehicle with a grunt. [3] It takes him a moment to see them. Circling above the road are two vast, black shapes with batlike wings - the newest batch of mutation forms, no doubt. Their cries brought down Theo, so it'd be fair to say they've got some kind of debilitating effect on mortals. As Alex watches, the nearest descends with the whoosh of great, sinuous wings. The thing has a serpentine, eyeless skull with - Alex notes as it opens its mouth - three, snapping jaws in one head, moving individually in grotesque movement. It seems improbable the stretched flesh can support all of them.

The thing lets out another piercing shriek, facing Alex. It seems to know what he is, standing on the edge of the road peering down at the field with their crashed jeep.

---
Spoiler: Friendlies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hostiles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: mcclay (click to show/hide)

Alexei Zielkov
"I must suppose someone must have at the very least seen the direction taken by the trucks. Unless these men who 'stole' the corpse were able to blind or kill any kind of military presence in a very reasonable radius." the soldier comments, his disturbing gaze turning to the young officer, unblinking and devoid of emotion. "What was that direction?"

Talk.

[4] The officer answers Zielkov's stare evenly. 'They left through the main gate, sir, and it seems likely they then proceeded out of the island by the western bridge. If not, and they remain on the island, we will find them, sooner or later,' he says. 'I have the guards' descriptions of the drivers, if you want them.'

Alexei nods. Two bridges lead out of Kronstadt back to the outskirts of St. Petersburg. Both bridges are guarded, as he saw when they came through. They would hopefully had cameras with functioning records, but that would be unimaginably good luck. The guards, atleast, should be of some use.

The general, interrupting his thoughts, grimaces. 'Eh... look, Mr. Zielkov, I told you, we'll be launching a full investigation. There's no need for your people to interfere. In fact, I rather think the authority in this matter remains with me.'

Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

Alfonz Wulfric
Alfonz stands up pulling a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and shimmying one of the few inside out into the palm of his hand he sighs before speaking,

"Well lets go see whether we pulled the suicide mission or the definitely suicide mission cards, I'm starting to get the feeling that we're going to get replaced by those matchboxes of warmachines."

With that Alfonz lights the smoke, takes one puff and makes his way down stairs to meet with General Moore.

'Hey, it can't be replacing if they've never used us,' Bell points out.

The group is still chatting excitedly when they get down to find Moore waiting with Division staff, among them scientists and analysts who've run most of their 'training' and tests so far. The General is a big, powerfully-built man with a heavy-set face with broad, cragged features. He's known to have a temper to watch out for, which is probably why he ended up in charge of the Damned on the field instead of some more prestigious post.

He steps up when the group arrives, looking them over - and his eyes pause on Wulfric.

'Put out your goddamn cigarette when talking to a superior officer, Wulfric,' he says. He doesn't wait for him to obey - just expects it. 'You've got a job to do. Now, I've taken the liberty of signing you up for the opfor in these exercises. I suggested something a bit more special to the command and they said yes.'

He pauses, enjoying the heavy silence.

'This is how it's gonna be. You're gonna head out into the woods, and they're gonna let loose their Rainbows on your asses. They're gonna try to take you out, you're going to last until the timer runs out,' he says at last. 'Though if I were in your shoes, I'd give back as hard as I got. Don't want them looking too good on the record, now do we?'

He looks to the side, where another officer is standing. 'Williams there will take you to your area when you're ready. Any questions?'

Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)

Aaron Gray
"We should go with them, yes. Whatever reprimands they may have for us... honestly, does it matter? If they plan to march on into a town that's been attacked and get out at all, let alone with some mere casualties, without people like us... they're insane. I've been getting a bit restless sitting around in a jeep all day, too..." Aaron looks grimly between Thomas and Alex. "So. Thomas, will you join us?"

Go help the poor squishy soldiers with the town. Try not to get stopped leaving the convoy.

Thomas sighs. 'Fine, I guess. Just... let's not charge in guns blazing, right? These guys know what they're doing.'

[4] The driver frowns. 'Wait, what are you talking about? You can't just go. It's dangerous out there.'

Alex gives him a level look. 'More dangerous than we are?'

The driver pales. Sputtering, he stumbles away. 'I'm... I don't...' he manages, and tries to force a weak smile. Alex ignores him, settling herself onto the controls. Aaron only has a moment to wonder if she's ever been on the wheel of anything until now, before she's already pulling away from the convoy. She nearly smashes into the truck in front of them and Aaron can practically hear Thomas grimace.

The jeep clambers out to the dust and begins to move up the convoy. The wind and the roar of the engine are the only sounds for a while, but then Thomas speaks up.

'You didn't need to scare him like that,' he says. Anyone could tell he's not happy, but to Aaron his nervousness and guilt seem to jump out of his mind.

Alex makes a sound, and seems to soften a bit. 'Yeah, okay. I'll apologize to him later. But come on, can't you enjoy this a bit? I've never even had a car before. And we're out of that fucking line for once! Enjoy the... dust-filled desert air! We're free! We could be going anywhere!'

'Yeah, but we're going over there,' Thomas says, pointing at the black smoke rising in the horizon. The shapes of the last military vehicles are visible through the dust cloud, spreading out as they approach the town. They pass the last of the convoy without being challenged.

Alex rolls her eyes. They continue in silence for a moment longer. The outskirts of the town come into view, low-lying buildings in white and red with withered gardens. A gas station at the end of the road proves to be the source of one of the pillars of smoke, the blackened remains of the tanks scattered over the area. The convoy probably hoped to refuel here. They slow down as they find two military cars stopped opposite the station, their machinegunners scanning the line of houses. The rest of the vehicles are presumably up ahead. More smoke arises from up the hill in several locations.

'So, do we just...?' Thomas trails off. The town seems unnaturally quiet. Aaron's senses pick out the wind and little else, though the soldiers ahead are practically glowing with tension, expecting trouble. Granted, anyone would be expecting trouble here.

Alex seems to be at a momentary loss as well. She follows the gunners' gazes, trying to see something they can't with her superhuman sight.

Spoiler: Talarion (click to show/hide)

Alessa T. Tairon
"Quick sweep through the area, individually. The more ground we cover in the fastest time, the more sectors we can cover and hopefully the better our scanner radius."

Alessa turned the radio frequency to the general state after answering back in Russian, however crude it still sounded, aware that if in case any other voices were present, they'd be heard. This was more of a curious notion than not, as even the vastness of the landscape fazed her compared to what she was now viewing through the optics.

This was what the world was facing, and it was a great enemy.

"What kind of instruments are present, Sacha Katya?" she said, keeping her own accent in check. "We aren't authorized to fire on this thing, so do we have anything in the means of reconnaissance?"

Inquire, then commence scouting/investigation.

There's a moment of crackling static before Katya responds. 'Right, this is your first recon. It's all mostly automatic. The rest is what they told you in training - adjust the cameras if they're out of focus, make sure you're getting in your readings from the equipment - nothing you can really do if that breaks - et cetera et cetera. I'd worry more about not crashing and dying horribly,' she says.

She begins to take her plane down. 'I'll take the portside first, if you don't mind, see the big girl in all her glory. You can have whatever those things in the buildings are. Just fly as as close as you can, keep the plane steady, make sure you're not swarmed by fliers. You've flown before, you know the drill. Okay... here we go.'

The BUKAVAC sweeps down. For a moment, it brings to mind some glorious bird of prey, but then Alessa is focusing on her own flight and loses sight.

[5] The city comes closer fast, and she can see the Great Mother in all her glory. Katya goes in fast towards the massive being. She's a good pilot, Alessa knows, but can't help thinking no-one should have to fly that close to an Ancient. Mortal pilots could not take its sheer, dominating presence at all, though. She see the Deepspawn around the Abyssal explode into movement, but Katya is long gone, turning around to circle.

On her own front, the buildings begin to whoosh past her and she slows down, making sure the camera is functioning. There's a ceaseless clatter below her as it continues to take shots and video feed. Alessa looks at the purplish forms among the buildings, definitely organic. [1] There's not enough time to see all the details, but she can't divine their purpose from their shape alone - nests of orbs through the neighbourhood, connected by vast vein-like growths running through the area. They're the size of tree trunks and seem to block roads at points, though mostly they hang above.

[3] As the aircraft passes the remains of an old hall, there's a burst of activity and she catches sight of a handful of dark shapes launching themselves from within. She gives them a quick look through her optics, but they don't appear to be nearly fast enough to keep up with her. It's only a matter of time before a mutation type that can appears, unless she gets lucky.

Alessa continues her route up the section of the city. The scanners are working as intended and data in many forms - thermal, infrared, radiation - pops up on her screen. It's mostly gibberish to her, though even she can tell there's an alarming amount of lifeforms even without the huge swarm at the Deep One's feet.

'Yeah, bitch, call up your storm. Lets us figure out how you do that... or so they told me,' Katya's voice cuts in - a barely audible tinge of nervousness in it - and Alessa glances to see dark clouds begin to gather by the water's edge. She sees Katya's plane as it races up, outpacing a dozen flier forms hovering around the Ancient.

Alessa surveys the rest of the city. The two Vanguards she spotted earlier remain where they are, one in the Old Town - or what remains of it - and one moving back towards the sea. The Old Town one, closer, is maybe two thirds the size of the Great Mother, a broad, armoured shape lying low - though obviously visible - among the crushed buildings. Long, antennae-like strands of flesh wave in the air all across its body. The other is not clear at this distance, but Alessa notes its crouched form and beetle-like shell.

Something catches her eye on the inland approach to the city. Human vehicles, from cars to military APCs, are gathered haphazardly around the roads, with what could be human shapes milling about them.

---

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:13:39 am by Digital Hellhound »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Their Coming Is At Hand II - an Eldritch Invasion RTD (Turn 1!)
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2013, 06:44:22 am »

"How many men on that sub?, I cannot sense anything out there friend or foe, it is probably safe to send a chopper out, but weigh the risks anyway I am not infallible" Calla chews on her lip, getting a little anxious. "Now I know we have talked about it before Captain, but you need to learn to shield your mind, I am getting your emotions and I am not even meaning to, look make some time, let me see if I can help you I would feel horrible if a dreamsinger were to affect you, you should come to Raul ... for the same reasons"

Calla just lets her mind wander for a bit, she liked spending time with these two, it helped keep her grounded, remember what she was fighting for and why. Which was getting more and more important as her other side was getting stronger.

"You know, while I am glad we have not seen any attacks recently, I feel kind of guilty about it, we are better able to repell them than many other coastal forts" She lets out a sigh "Probably why they are leaving us alone for now. That or they are building for something big, yeah I know, real cheery thoughts right? Calla lets a little grimace show before falling silent.

Edit: added more
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:50:50 am by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16