Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Their Coming Is At Hand II - an Eldritch Invasion RTD (Turn 9!)  (Read 23164 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Return was six months ago.

And yet it has barely begun.

Entire regions of the Earth remain battlefields. Burned-out husks of cities litter the world, stomping grounds for the Ancients. Humanity has survived the beginning, taking victories where it could, fighting back with what weapons it had, defending what had to be defended and abandoning the rest. The entire world is at war - the old alliances have collapsed and become little else than paper, replaced by the only things that were prepared for this war - the ancient conspiracies and forgotten state divisions, the remote research facilities and the guarded military bases. The cities and countries that remain 'safe' live in eternal fear, putting their faith in conventional weapons of limited use - and the stranger weapons of half-humans and experimental technology. But even they are rarely enough to stop the Ancients.

The Deep Ones rule the oceans, the forces of mankind huddled in a handful of protected safe harbors. With every incursion, they grow more numerous, enslaving what they do not devour. The primordial Titans roam unchecked, rising from the very earth itself. They leave destruction in their wake, treating the insect-like mankind with indifference at best. From the hungry void, the Star Gods are finally beginning to arrive en masse, descending from the skies with alien technology and minds. Stranger or worse beings roam in the darkness, ever-hungry, ever-hunting. 

The ballistic missile, the nuke, the gas cloud still remain humanity's most effective weapons, but when those stockpiles have been emptied, what then? When the Ancients have adapted and changed, what then?

Taskforce EUROPA has defended the continent to the best of its ability, saving much, losing more. But to kill Titans, men are not enough - and so EUROPA has begun building Olympians, great war machines towering above the highest skyscrapers, powered by the remains of Ancients themselves. Experimental weapons are being converted to use for their warships and armies. But their energy weapons are inferior copies of the Star Gods' bio-technology, their missiles barely enough to pierce Abyssal crests. It remains to be seen if anything they possess will be enough, in the end.

Over the Atlantic, where Central America falls deeper and deeper under the sway of the Deep Ones and where vast Titans battle Star Gods throughout the north, the US government has announced the USMW program - Mechanized Walkers, smaller cousins of the Olympians. Unlike EUROPA's creations, they are claimed to be pure human technology, crewed by unaltered men and women - but will this symbolic victory be of any worth against the Ancient Return?

In Russia, the Ark Projekt continues its development of the KOSCHEI fighters, rumoured to be capable of flight outside the atmosphere. They've proved to be effective, but as the Return begins in earnest even they can be overwhelmed and swept aside. Their other weapon, a joint project with China and East Asia, are the Hounds, inhuman amalgamations of technology and Enemy flesh shaped after predators, powered by imprisoned Ancients tortured to the point of feral madness. They give the machines minds of their own, crazed by bloodlust, like animals. The danger of 'bleed-over' to the pilots is brushed aside in the face of the greater and increasingly possible danger of human extinction. 

All over the world, humanity is creating new weapons... but it may still prove far too little. Without the Shackled, mankind will fall... but their blood calls out to them, every night, and as they grow more and more powerful they begin to lose more and more of their humanity.

Spoiler: That sounds familiar! (click to show/hide)

The Earth is ancient, both in body and in mind. Mortal life has not always ruled it, and their age is now at an end. Its old masters, the Titans, are awakening, terrifying giants kilometres in size, carrying mountains - or even cities - on their backs. But they are not the only beings looking to master the world - from the abyssal depths that connect all worlds, the Deep Ones rise, singing dreams of prophecy and destruction, bending man's will to their own and bringing madness wherever they go. From the black void between worlds come the Star Gods, grown fat from devouring stars, alien and incomprehensible to man in their goals and thoughts. And beyond, even stranger and more ancient beings, turn to Earth with hunger on their minds.

This all was foreseen. Forces and invididuals from the dawn of history have long prepared for this day. Beneath the illusion of everyday normal life, ancient conspiracies and prophecies of doom form a network of defense, employing the Enemy's own weapons against it. Ancient-mortal hybrids fill their ranks, and slumbering beasts bound to the will of mortal bodies are their potent weapons. But will these halfbreeds and imprisoned gods retain loyalty to a dying race when their true brethren arrive?

The ever-advancing technology of mankind may prove surprisingly devastating against these beings, but will it be enough? Once the nuclear stockpiles are emptied, the ballistic missiles wasted, the armies of humanity broken and scattered and their defenses cracked open, who will step up to guard mankind? Secret, long-buried projects in deep underground complexes? The weapons of the enemy turned against them? It will not be the 'simple willpower and courage of normal men and women', in times where your mind and body can be taken from you by the mere thoughts of dark gods.

---
Spoiler: Whasss' going on? (click to show/hide)

The Ancients

Spoiler: Primordial Titans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Abyssals/Deep Ones (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Star Gods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Shackled (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Unique Ancients (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: So what's different? (click to show/hide)

---

Spoiler: Nifty. Can I play? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Application (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Playing the Enemy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemy Application (click to show/hide)

Player List
1. adwarf - Alfonz Wulfric (Imprisoned Unique)
2. Caellath - Alexis Zielkov (Prototype Superman)
3. Tiruin - Alessa T. Tairon (Star God Hybrid)
4. wolfchild - Calla (Abyssal Hybrid)
5. mcclay - Alex Vondgas (Imprisoned Titan)
6. Talarion - Aaron Gray (Abyssal Hybrid)

Enemy List
1. Toaster - SarCha the Broodlord (Abyssal Great Mother)
2. Xantalos - 'Quaritch' (Unique Ancient)
3. Harry Baldman - Jitch 4758/The Egg (Unique 'Ancient')
4. draco1234 - Rourk (Wilderness Form Titan)
5. Criptfeind - The Bishop of Detroit (Inhabited Form Titan)
6. Objective - Shaix-Jilaid (Wilderness Form Titan)
7. miauw62 - Stronghold (Star God Collector)
8. Rolepgeek - Estelle/Horseman-4 (Unique Ancient)

Waitlist
1. GUNINARUNIN - Rick Neil Ronin (USMW Pilot)
2. Draignean - Razvan 'Roz' Moro (Imprisoned Unique)
3. SomeStupidGuy -
4. sjm9876 - Harold 'Irontooth' Rorikson (Unique Hybrid)
5. Unholy_Pariah - Bruce (Unique Hybrid)

Returning players may use their old characters (that includes Enemies) or create new ones. If the first, there may be some sort of multiple-choice questions thing to determine what you've been doing in these past six months, though not necessarily. Please repost your old app if you wish to continue playing them - without the Superweapons of the new apps, mind you.

New players - I can guarantee someone's gonna die sooner or later, so the waitlist isn't that a bad place. The more people on it, the more comfortable I feel killing everyone off.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:17:17 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Their Coming Is At Hand II - an Eldritch Invasion RTD (Starting up!)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:43:16 am »

GAFLABDBDJTJVDFFFGDH
*explodes in joy*
Ahem!
Well, I'll be sending in an Enemy sheet sometime.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:45:10 am »

Ooh, I'll probably do an enemy sheet as well.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:12:21 am »

Sounds great, I'll throw in an enemy sheet as well.

Name/Codename/Title: Rourk
Enemy Type: Primordial titan (wilderness form)
Form/Description: Has the appearance of a great, two-headed wolf.  The tail of the beast however, instead of forming a normal wolf tail, splits off into six different tails, each with the appearance of a great serpent.  These serpent tails are very long, and can spray an incredibly caustic substance from their mouths.  Rourk came into being underneath a great forest, and as such, it's back is covered in a great forest of pines and other trees, giving it a 'mane' of trees down his back.  the rest of it's body is covered in various plants and shrubs, giving it an almost furred appearance.  It is of a below average size for a titan, though it makes up for this by being incredibly agile.  Like some titans, it is not pleasantly disposed toward humans, blaming them for the destruction of many species and natural areas.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:20:14 am by draco1234 »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:57:22 am »

Let's see, join the enemy bandwagon or molder on the waiting list until Adwarf derps up and dies...hmm...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:58:55 am »

Let's see, join the enemy bandwagon or molder on the waiting list until Adwarf derps up and dies...hmm...

Last time, he tried to hold an endless swarm of mutated monstrosities on his own, probably planning on taking on their kilometre+-tall mommy after that. I'm just saying, it might not be that long a wait.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:19 am »

It seems like people are always up to impossible risks in your games.  Of course, it could be because you put impossible risks before us, expecting us to run, while us stubborn hardheads just charge on in.

Also, prepare to be devoured.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:46 am »

Hey, most of the time, they're just... highly improbable. But yes, there's simply no point to something if it's not atleast a bit suicidal.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:51:44 am »

But yes, there's simply no point to something if it's not atleast a bit suicidal.

Words to live by.

I think.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 08:56:43 am »

Oh you xD

..You know, you do play great 'enemy' characters. They're..very well crafted.

And don't be that mean to adwarf ;p

Connection to the first?

The Ark Projekt was cut off post-reconnaissance mission in which a titan was spotted, destroyed and carried away about 2(or 3?) out of 3(..or 4?) military fighters along with it. Debriefing at base revealed a new titan being located, as well as hints of another briefing. The new character sheet is directly connected with the projekt, and yet on a different area and region
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:52:36 am by Tiruin »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:20:13 am »

Spoiler: Character app (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:39:20 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:27:34 am »

Spoiler: Character app (click to show/hide)

A few points - first, I'd need more info on what exactly Fenrir was and what sort of abilities you could've inherited. Second, your guy sounds more Scandinavian than Finnish (I should know - I am Finnish). That is, Swedish-Norwegian-Danish, possibly Icelandic (What people consider to be Scandinavia vary - most Finns include Finland - but I digress).

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 09:30:40 am »

Apologies on the nationality. I tend to get a tad confused in that part of the world. I'll chuck in some more detail on Fenrir now.

Done some editing. Not sure if it's enough.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:39:47 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 10:04:14 am »

Name/Codename/Title: Shaix-Jilad
Enemy Type: Titan - Wilderness Form
Form/Description: A 600 metre-tall insectoid. It looks like a beetle with 3 carapaced tails 3 times its length, the tails store the creature's 3 auxiliary brains, which has the intelligence of a reptile. Under its wings are thousands of tiny satchels that can take in an insect and clone them into a swarm in mere seconds. Its real brain, which has the intelligence exceeding human comprehension, feeds off the psyches of the insects bent to its will, making it essentially a hivemind. The Shaix-Jilad is always obscured by a great cloud of millions and millions assorted flying insects that flies around it for a diameter of 1 kilometre.

The Shaix-Jilad has an agonizing hunger for minds, and takes in the knowledge of anything that is eaten by it or its minions.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:13:24 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 11:27:45 am »

I'll be using my old char.
Name: Alex Vondgas
Nationality: Scotish
Shackled Type: Trapped Ancient
Ancient type: Titan
Descreption: Alex is a young man of about 21. He is a grim looking man, with stony features and a stoic demenaor. he what the Scottish call a Changling, a human with a member of "The Fae" trapped inside his head. In reality he was given his "gift" by a group of scientensts who worked in a fancilty near his home. They took an Earth spirt from the very ground Alex walked on and  trapped it in his head.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16