Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military takes forever to deploy  (Read 375 times)

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military takes forever to deploy
« on: August 08, 2013, 12:19:36 am »

I've noticed that when I manually assign my military dwarfs to a station, they take an inordinate amount of time to arrive.  Even if all of them are currently fully equipped and in a training session, they won't move directly from the training session to the spot.  Most of the time they make several detours, usually all involving "picking up equipment."

Why are they constantly getting new equipment when they are told to move somewhere?  Is there a particular way to set up their uniforms so that they won't do this?

This is especially noticeable with my colosseum.  I have a separate squad for the gladiator, which I assign a dwarf to if I want to kill off a captive in an entertaining way.  But whenever I assign a dwarf to the new role in the gladiator pit, I can probably leave the computer, have a sandwich, come back, and still be waiting for him/her to get to the pit.  Often they will go to the pit multiple times, but also leave multiple times (within seconds of arriving at the pit) to continue to "pick up equipment."  What mechanic am I missing here?

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Military takes forever to deploy
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:29:47 am »

Yeah, it's really annoying. I think the main problem with that is, that your soldiers check their equipment state only when given commands. So there's a *breastplate* somewhere, dropped from enemies or crafted by one of your dwarves and it is more valuable than the breastplate your fellow soldier has equipped. He'll make a beeline for it because dwarfbucks is the only thing that matters for a dwarf.  ;)

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:39:40 pm »

You also might want to try manually assigning each piece of armour for each military dorf, instead of having them in generic 'Metal Armour', or whatever. If they have specific armour chosen for them, they won't disappear down to the bottom of your fort (or wherever your forges may be) every time Urist McArmourer knocks out another masterwork gauntlet, or whatever.
This also helps if you're planning on pimping out some sets of masterwork armour - the dorfs won't pick up these items whilst you're trying to have them studded with platinum or gold.
My melee dorfs are currently wandering around in 100 grand's worth of gold-studded steel - each. Gangsta!

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 05:37:59 am »

I hate doing that type of micro since I usually run around 300 dorfs, but I may consider it in my next fort.  The ai in this game is really quite abysmal in certain places.