Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Kerbalnauts RTD  (Read 9642 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbalnauts RTD
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 01:18:37 am »

Did you land on the Mün yet? My first few tries left a few new craters there.

Kinda impossible in the Demo version I'm afraid :(
I can't even get a actual ORBIT going.

Well, I managed it. Eventually. If you need help, there are plenty of guides in YouTube.

Well I got a rocket from the launch pad into the polar region, but I REALLY don't think its possible to get a serious "you go round and round the world" orbit going in the demo.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 01:21:10 am »

I'm pretty sure you can, what parts do you have?
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 01:40:14 am »

I'm pretty sure you can, what parts do you have?

The demo parts. I didn't bother to learn their names, but the best rocket I have is that Solid Booster.

I think it has 250 thrust....

Indeed, I do this.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 01:44:52 am »

Thrust is not everything
you also need to worry about specific impulse, Solid rockets have the best thrust, but pretty much the worst Delta V, you CAN get into orbit with solid boosters alone, but its a lot harder. Do you have any separators with fuel cross-feed, or the fuel pipe parts? you don't realy need em, but it makes things a lot easier

Ok i just realized some of that stuff may or may not have made sense so I am going to try to explain it. Please dont be insulted if you do not, assumptions are bad so I am erring on the side of caution.

Delta V in the context of KSP is the total change in velocity you have. This is obviously reduced the heavier your rocket is, and increased with more force.

Specific Impulse is the relative amount of Useful force (less wasted) generated by the engine for the same mass of fuel. In gravity especially you do need thrust, as the longer you stay the more gravity will hit your delta V budget, also at about 60 km you want to start to turn sideways and go completley sideways when your apoapse (highest point in you're orbit) is where you want it, then you need to thrust sideways to increase your periapse (lowest point in an orbit) for the pourposes of KSP this NEEDS to be above 70KM at least so that air resistance dose not bring you down.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:28:13 am by wolfchild »
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 03:53:31 am »

Design the K-1 Orbit to Kerbal Advanced reconnaissance cam

Espionage satellites are kinda usefull.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 03:59:33 am »

Though it's not his forte, Jeoff will try to improve the safety of the Kr-13B. Somehow. Even if that makes it more expensive or something.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 06:11:36 am »

Thrust is not everything
you also need to worry about specific impulse, Solid rockets have the best thrust, but pretty much the worst Delta V, you CAN get into orbit with solid boosters alone, but its a lot harder. Do you have any separators with fuel cross-feed, or the fuel pipe parts? you don't realy need em, but it makes things a lot easier

Ok i just realized some of that stuff may or may not have made sense so I am going to try to explain it. Please dont be insulted if you do not, assumptions are bad so I am erring on the side of caution.

Delta V in the context of KSP is the total change in velocity you have. This is obviously reduced the heavier your rocket is, and increased with more force.

Specific Impulse is the relative amount of Useful force (less wasted) generated by the engine for the same mass of fuel. In gravity especially you do need thrust, as the longer you stay the more gravity will hit your delta V budget, also at about 60 km you want to start to turn sideways and go completley sideways when your apoapse (highest point in you're orbit) is where you want it, then you need to thrust sideways to increase your periapse (lowest point in an orbit) for the pourposes of KSP this NEEDS to be above 70KM at least so that air resistance dose not bring you down.

I have the fuel pipe, and a bunch of stuff with fuel cross feed, but no idea what that does.

Indeed, I do this.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 06:24:02 am »

That allows you to feed fuel sideways

what i like to do is have a central fuel tank with a thruster and the outside that, as many as you can fit in one layer, (dont forget the thrusters), have the outter ones feed fuel to the central one, then providing the outer ones have enough thrust to weight to lift their own mass, your feeding fuel to the centre one almost for free, when those tanks empty, separate them and the inner rocket will still have a full tank (really should be more than one tank) with which to fire

something like this

Spoiler: design (click to show/hide)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 06:29:53 am »

Actually I made something like that once.

I used 3 cockpits as "points" then used a separator between them and a tri-pod thing, with the middle having a fuel tank. Then I latched OTHER fuel tanks between them, with rockets on the bottom of those fuel tanks.

It made the BEST explosions when it collided with the launch tower :P

Indeed, I do this.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 06:36:26 am »

ok, now i am actually downloading the demo so I can know for certain that the rocket I make, you can

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 07:36:32 am »

ok, now i am actually downloading the demo so I can know for certain that the rocket I make, you can

Is it downloaded yet?

Also is there any spot left in this RtD?

Indeed, I do this.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 07:42:32 am »

Oh hell, i swear i took screenies, oh well

2 of the bigger fuel tanks with the middle rocket, the one that looks like another one there but that has thrust vectoring, a stack decoupler and then the pod with a parachute

then using three way symmetry (probably don't need 3 but i prefer it to 2) put another of the 2 fuel tanks with the same rocket, feed fuel from the bottom of the outer tanks into the bottom of the central tank put one of the controll wings at the bottom of each of the outer tanks, you will need those launch support things, otherwise it tends to damage itself on liftoff. also you want struts to keep it stable, thrust straight up till about 10km, then click on the spot that it gives your velocity, this will change it to the orbital readout, you then change your angle and keep it on prograde, at this point open your map, then get your navball up, you are going to need it.

stay thrusting prograde while hovering your curser over the apoapse tag, one this number gets to 80km or more, cut your engines.  Now I used a manouver node and timed it, but there was half the central amount of fuel left b the end so your probably fine just eyeballing it, get close to the periapse, then trust prograde (when you thrust prograde you raise the opposite side of the orbit), untill the periapse is at least 80km, congrats, you are in orbit, with probably enough fuel for a round trip to the mun, although there is no landing gear on the thing

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 10:32:05 am »

Ok lol, that worked. First try too :P
You are ALOT better at rocket science then I am apparently.

Still, I have a lot less fuel then you projected, so I am also much worse at FLYING them....
I suck. :(

Also as for the game:

Name: Kerbis B. Kerblonk
Spec: Kerbalnaut (prob don't need another, but we will all be dying so much it won't matter I'm sure)
Reason: Kerbis has seen the future man! He's SEEN the Mun People! SO WE GOTTA BLOW EM UP! This is my sacred mission, given to me by that shiny barrel! I MUST KILL ALL THE MUN PEOPLE!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:04:29 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 05:53:19 pm »

Aparently its possible to get to orbit with only the central tank, i couldnt though.one thing you may have forgot is that you turning speed wont change unless you change it, can make it had to keep a straight vector if you don't remember that

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »

Waitlist

Name: Luke Thorne
Specialty:Vehicle engineer
Reason: He wants explosions.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15