Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please explain the STONE screen to me  (Read 761 times)

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
Please explain the STONE screen to me
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:04:21 pm »

So, if I set a Stone to RED in the STONE screen (z), then it... won't be used if I set up > make 30 mechanisms, stonecrafts whatever in the manager screen, or workshop?
I mean that's how I understand the screen, is this correct?
If so, why was MARBLE set to green by default?
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Please explain the STONE screen to me
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:08:41 pm »

If marble's a layer stone in your embark, then it'll be set to green. Same for other economical stone. I doesn't like it personally, and thinks it fits under bugs even if it's been around since 40d at least.

Marble's also a relatively common layer stone, I've found.

But yes, you got it right about the color.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:28:36 pm »

Thank you, I'm glad i understood it correctly. But I agree, having FLUX be enabled per default is kinda silly...
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »

Thank you, I'm glad i understood it correctly. But I agree, having FLUX be enabled per default is kinda silly...

Considering there're usually too much layer stone for most fortresses to use up quickly, even with mining doing 25% drops now, it's not too bad, just annoying :D

It might be a leftover from before the embark map was changed to not show what layers are actually there, too.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 12:30:52 am »

I usually turn off all stones except for one, resulting in all of your furniture crafted of the same stone.

Sölar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:48:18 am »

Maybe I just missed it but is there any way to allow certain stone types for certain activities? One for stone crafting and one for masonry etc? I wanted to use the higher value chalk I have for making some trade goods without using it all up in case I need it later.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 03:59:56 am »

You didn't miss it.  Either it's on, or it's not.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 04:17:35 am »

Maybe I just missed it but is there any way to allow certain stone types for certain activities? One for stone crafting and one for masonry etc? I wanted to use the higher value chalk I have for making some trade goods without using it all up in case I need it later.

Not through the stone screen, but you can do so using stockpile link, since it's different workshops. Have stockpile give to the workshop and set them up to accept certain stones only.

Do note that the workshop will only take from linked stockpile set to give to it and give to stockpiles set to take from it.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:40 am »

Not through the stone screen, but you can do so using stockpile link, since it's different workshops. Have stockpile give to the workshop and set them up to accept certain stones only.

Do note that the workshop will only take from linked stockpile set to give to it and give to stockpiles set to take from it.

The only problem I see with that is random stones laying around in your mason stockpiles. These will then be used for the crafting also, even the stockpiles doesn't allow them at all.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:36:50 am »

The only problem I see with that is random stones laying around in your mason stockpiles. These will then be used for the crafting also, even the stockpiles doesn't allow them at all.

If I don't have enough alternate stockpile space for those, I builds a road to get dwarves to shuffle stones out of the way ( dumping would be better, but I'm usually suffering from labor shortage if I don't have enough stockpile anyway ) and zone the stockpile after ripping the road up.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:49:34 pm »

So imagine I want only alunite to be crafted into stuff from my mechanic and mason, how do I do that? (Keystrokes, workshops?)  :-\

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 12:15:51 am »

Turn everything off except alunite on the stones screen.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 01:48:11 am »

So imagine I want only alunite to be crafted into stuff from my mechanic and mason, how do I do that? (Keystrokes, workshops?)  :-\
First create a stockpile. [p]->[ENTER]->(move)->[ENTER]
Then, [q] over the stockpile and check its [s]ettings. Enable stone, but disable all of it except alunite.
Set the stockpile to give to the workshops. [q] over the stockpile and press [g], then center over a workshop and press [ENTER]. Repeat for every workshop.