Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overzealous Dwarves?  (Read 867 times)

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Overzealous Dwarves?
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:31:33 am »

A funny thing happened on the way back from the last Forgotten Beast slaying. Two dwarves fell unconscious. That isn't the funny part; other than the thud.

Now while one dwarf rushed to the rescue, one of my unconscious dwarves woke up and started making his way back to the dining hall for lunch and a bit of bragging only to fall over unconscious again. Ever vigilant Urist McKindheart gabbed him and started hauling him to the hospital. It was strange though. I watched him dragging a dwarf who was no longer unconscious and had a Clean Self job for a good five minutes. They wandered back and forth a while and eventually ended up in the hospital but by that time I was no longer following.

I was checking the list for jobs and found 1 dwarf still on a recover wounded job. I thought it best to follow him because I couldn't find the dwarf myself. He wandered everywhere, even doubled back a couple times. (I need to set traffic routes again) Where did he go? Yup, the dining hall. Middle of a party he stomps in, grabs the very same dwarf and drags him to the hospital again who by the way still thinks he's attending the party half way down the hall.

You have to commend the little guy. He searched the caverns, any number of store rooms, wandered forever and for a time truly appeared lost, but he did get him to the hospital.

The only question is why. He had already been rescued and left the hospital.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Overzealous Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:12:25 am »

It's possible that the narcoleptic dwarf fell unconscious again after checking himself out, thus needing "rescuing" again, or that he left before ever actually resting in the hospital, so he was never actually "rescued".

That said, I wish my dwarves were half so dedicated to recovering their fellow citizens. Usually they just end up bleeding out in the grass from a fox bite.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Overzealous Dwarves?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:05:51 am »

Pretty much that. Sleeping is a sign of worry for Dwarves, fall asleep at work and it's off to the hospital.