Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29353 times)

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #405 on: October 13, 2013, 07:38:18 pm »

Probably tunics. We are regularly active, unlike Gervaise, so robes would be highly impractical for us.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 13, 2013, 08:28:24 pm »

If we throw him the sword... we no longer have the sword, and that dog sounds pretty pissed. I say we step in and defend him ourselves. If he acts valiantly to aid us, maybe we let him in. If not, proceed to kick him out as described above.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 18, 2013, 06:37:58 am »

All's Fair -- Part Vf

We will face it with every ounce of courage that is fitting in the leader of this holy order.
If we throw him the sword... we no longer have the sword, and that dog sounds pretty pissed. I say we step in and defend him ourselves.

Despite the sharpness of those yellow fangs and the hunger in the hound's eyes, thoughts of running away don't even cross your mind. You are a true knight, like your father before you, and will not lower yourself to such craven thoughts. You tug your wooden sword from your belt and consider tossing it to Gervaise, but he seems to have fainted dead away, his panic bubbling over. He will be no help to himself or you. Yet whatever else you may think of the bumbling scribe, he doesn't deserve the wrath of an angry hound. You set your wooden sword into a guard position, your round little face into a determined scowl, and your feet resolutely in motion toward his sprawling body.

The hungry dog lopes toward the two of you, growing bigger with each bounding leap forward, till you realise that it must outweigh you by a stone's weight or more. This is a dog bred to attack bears, a killer instinct sharpened by training and starvation--and soon it will be upon you. Perhaps the thrill of the chase is gone, or perhaps the dog simply lost sight of the scribe lying motionless amid the tall grass; but at any rate, you sense that the animal has shifted its focus. You. This realisation brings a cold stab of fear, but it's too late to back down now in front of your band. The dog rushes past the unconscious scribe without the slightest hitch in its stride or trace of notice, and lauches itself into a snarling leap at you. You prepare your stroke. All emotion has drained from your soul, leaving only a hollow feeling contained inside a sense of fate. Here is the beginning of a legend, or the end of a footnote.

There can be no fault placed in your preternatural composure or in your technique as your wooden sword whistles down and raps the beast soundly on its skull, yet momentum carries the stunned hound into you, and you both tumble to the ground. Your breath is forced out by the animal's weight, and both of you lie dazed. It comes to its senses first, with a restored ferocity, its claws digging into your chest as you still struggle to regain your breath. Its hungry maw descends. Your sword interposes. The hound growls in frustration, blasting fetid breath into your face, and bites deep into the wood, shaking its head violently. Your little arm is wrenched painfully about, till the sword flies from your grip. Defenceless, you go numb in fright, and close your eyes as the beast goes in for the kill at your exposed throat.   

You don't even feel the pain of your throat being ripped open, only the hot spray of blood on your face. Your blood. This is the end. Your life and your adventure end here.

A century has passed by, since that day when you were slain in your first struggle outside the gates of Curbiston. Your soul floats in a dark empty purgatory of doubt and despair. Where is the glorious kingdom of Heaven that was promised by preachers? Surely, you died well and earned the reward of all brave knights: to sit among righteous warriors on high, until the horns sound for the faithful to charge down from heaven on judgment day. Yet here you wait in nothingness, for a hundred years now, or maybe for a thousand years, or perhap even longer. Time has lost its meaning here in this insensate void. Perhaps, in fact, it has only been a single moment since you died. You call out plaintively, O Lord, where art thou? And a disembodied voice fills the darkness in response.

"Firk 'im, lads. That's it! Stick 'im again! Bleed 'im! Again! Tom, get in there and gut 'im proper! He's right wiggly... can't hold 'im much longer."

You crack open your eyes, and your soul comes whirling back to earth as light floods into your senses. Cadmon has grappled the hound from behind and lifted it up on two legs to expose its soft underbelly, one arm circled around its thrashing body, another clutching a penknife jammed deep into its neck. The dog is almost as large as him, and staggers him with its frantic writhing. Other boys, Brond, Will, Tom and Armaut, are stabbing at its vulnerable parts with their own small knives as best they can, while it lashes out with its flailing legs. Each boy has earned himself a set of scratches on his weapon arm.

You sit up, and wipe the blood from your face. Dog's blood, not yours. Cadmon sank his knife deep just before it could inflict a killing bite. Red blotches of your own blood do blossom under your tunic and hose, yet the scratches are not very deep. You live remarkably in one piece. Meanwhile, with a whimper, the mortally wounded dog heaves Cadmon to the ground with the last of its strength and flees its attackers. Few boys do not find their courage at the sight of the dog running away, and soon it is hunted down by a large angry mob of children and beaten to death.

The bear baiter storms out of his tent and, finding children beating one of his dogs to death, scatters them with angry shouts. When he sees his injured young lord sitting in a blood-spattered daze, though, he quickly kneels and grovels for his life, which you give back to him on strict condition of his never mentioning this incident to your Mother. Soon, two short notes on the horns toot out the striking of camp and the start of the day's journey.

The second night of travel, your convoy rests near a bend in the river, where you hear that Lord Stone once trounced a camp full of Sea Raiders with a hearty band of only five men. Your band, however, is now rather battered in body and soul. Hammy sprained his ankle jumping off the wagon to rescue you; several others, mostly from the barracks boys, are marked by combat--mainly shallow gouges and torn tunics and hose--meanwhile those boys that have no red badges to show for their part in the struggle are wounded spiritually with a guilt at what they felt inside. And all await the verdict upom Gervaise. He is dragged into a semi-circle of boys around the campfire to answer for his part.

You consider what you know. He embarassed himself; he endangered you almost to the point of death; his antics made a mockery of your noble order. Then you hear his plea. Gervaise, broken-spirited and contrite, blubbers that he was scared witless when his plan to lure the dog to the sack of entrails was stymied by... you. He left the sack next to you, thinking that you would take refuge on the wagons. When you unexpectedly stood your ground--in a most noble and inspiring fashion, he quickly adds--he had no path to this crucial bait. With a flash of recollection, you remember the entrails. It occurs to you that you could have used that sack to pacify the dog, perhaps even allowed Gervaise time to recover his wits as the starving dog feasted. Alas, for missed possibilities.

Nevertheless, there is justice to be rendered in the here and now. You allow that it was brave simply to open the cage; but then wrestle with your word of honour that the dog had to be shut back up inside that cage; then you rage at nearly having died because of him; then you fret at your role in blocking the route to the bait. You feel strongly inclined to deny him entry, when a shout changes the complexion of things drastically.

"Death! Death to all cowards!" shouts Lawrence Gates, a court boy who you last spotted trailing a safe distance behind the group that was beating the dog to death. "Aye. Death is the only fitting punishment for such a stinking coward as he!" concurs Norribert Kitchener, who never left the wagons, his face red with outrage. Your mouth hangs open in utter shock at the sudden new turn.

"Well, no, that's too far, but let's give him a good drubbing, at least!" Nat Turner suggests. Dickin Pantler, who likewise hung back till the dog was seriously hurt, spits out in agreement,"Yeah! Beat the bloody damned coward! Pissing and shitting himself like a filthy coward who cowardly... uh... cows!"  Most of the boys who held back until the dog ran away loudly agree that Gervaise must pay a price.

Cadmon and Hammy shout the voices down. The mob quiets and awaits your ruling. While death is absurd, you contemplate maybe he should be beaten. Certain boys appear to be focusing on him as a scapegoat for their own lacklustre roles, and it could improve group morale to see Cowardice personified and then purged cathartically from their midst. You even worry that not doing this may spur some boys to exact their own brand of justice. You take a moment before speaking to weigh fairness with keeping the peace.

Now you have all the facts. You can confidently render your judgment, or still call on others for their opinions or support. Next update is the Fair. This time, I not only promise, I even promise that I promise.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 18, 2013, 09:40:14 am »

Only two things can come of this a scared traumatized child with a fear of dogs and blood...or a child eager to gain might above all others quickly never thinking of the consequences as long as your happy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:34 am »

Only two things can come of this a scared traumatized child with a fear of dogs and blood...or a child eager to gain might above all others quickly never thinking of the consequences as long as your happy.
Why not both?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 18, 2013, 02:48:04 pm »

"I noticed you did not join in until the dog was wounded. If Gervaise is to be beaten so shall the rest of you." to the court boys. To Gervaise: You showed courage and cowardice, as such you may not be a knight or a squire, but you shall be a page.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 18, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »

"I noticed you did not join in until the dog was wounded. If Gervaise is to be beaten so shall the rest of you." to the court boys. To Gervaise: You showed courage and cowardice, as such you may not be a knight or a squire, but you shall be a page.
Sounds like a plan.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 18, 2013, 02:56:43 pm »

"The duty of a knight is to defend the weak, not to harm them. He cannot be one of us, indeed, he is not a warrior or knight of any variety. As such, he is one of those we are sworn to protect. Tell me, how much courage did it take to shy away while I confronted the hound? How much courage does it take to beat one who has shown that he has no way of fighting back, especially when you outnumber him so? This boy shall NOT be harmed, and any who do so shall be expelled from this order. Moreover, an attack on my subjects is an attack on me. Remember that!"

Edit: Changed one of the "protect"s to "defend", because repeating the same word in consecutive sentences (or almost consecutive sentences) is super lame. :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:02:29 pm by Plato Play-Doh »

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 19, 2013, 08:10:17 pm »

I like this idea. Looking back, he didn't really want to be a knight anyway, just to go to Feroshire, if I'm reading the earlier updates right. This is just personal preference, but wouldn't the word "Scribe" be slightly more... honorable(might not be the right word) than the word "Page"? I just think "Scribe of the Order" (a title someone suggested shortly after he asked to be taken with us) might be more agreeable to him than page, which seems to denote more a messenger/servant than a man (boy, currently) of knowledge, which is how I see Gervaise.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 19, 2013, 08:19:42 pm »

Yeah, he should be the Scribe. Seems like something he wants, and that would be pretty close to what he would be doing. And like someone no one would really complain about him being.
Sig

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:30 pm »

But we weren't testing him to see if he could be a knight, but whether he could join our little club at all. He was never trying to be a knight. He failed, and so we must accept that he is not one of us or risk appearing as a liar who goes back on his word at a whim.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 20, 2013, 01:06:35 am »

But we weren't testing him to see if he could be a knight, but whether he could join our little club at all. He was never trying to be a knight. He failed, and so we must accept that he is not one of us or risk appearing as a liar who goes back on his word at a whim.
This might not be obvious to people like Cadmon and his gang,who are most of the reason why we didn't just let him in anyway. We could tell them now that the test was to see whether he could become a full knight, and in a private aside to Cadmon, say that we would never consider making him a knight, and assure him that being a scribe is as far as Gervaise will get in our order. That we keep Cadmon somewhat loyal, and gain the gratitude of Gervaise, who could become to Isaac what Gunther Ignacious was to old Sam Stone.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 20, 2013, 08:19:02 am »

What was the test? Opening the dog's cage, catching the dog, and bringing the dog back to the cage? I'd say that the most important part of that was being willing to release the hungry hounds.
And we did interfere a little. Remember the sack of entrails?
Sig

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 20, 2013, 11:48:29 am »

All's Fair -- Part VI

Your response to Lawrence and the angry mob is quick and unsparingly direct. "I noticed you did not join in until the dog was wounded. If Gervaise is to be beaten, so shall the rest of you!"

The mob goes silent at having their insecurities so openly laid bare. You scan the faces among them, and confirm that no one demanding punishment can meet your gaze, then you continue with your sharp rebuke. "Tell me, how much courage did it take to shy away while I confronted the hound? How much courage does it take to beat one who has shown that he has no way of fighting back, especially when you outnumber him so? The duty of a knight is to defend the weak, not to harm them. This boy shall not be harmed, and any who do so shall be expelled from this order. An attack on my subjects is an attack on me. Remember that!"

You turn to Gervaise, "You are not a knight, or a warrior of any variety. Therefore we recognise you as a civilian aide under our protection. Our scribe. But do not expect equal footing with a knight." Gervaise, still eye-wided at his close brush with mob justice, throws himself to the ground with gratitude.

After the verdict, the rest of the night witnesses a division of your band into two estranged camps: a self-satisfied group, those with some claim to direct participation in the fight, reliving and embellishing their roles to each other, showing their scratches proudly; and another slightly larger group, accusing each other of having been farther behind, or even more afraid.   

You yourself are not without fears. Those hungry bloodshot eyes, those fangs, those claws, that moment when you thought yourself dead--all will pursue you into your dreams, no doubt. Even awake, the helpless feeling when the hound stood over your body returns over and over, making you vow never to be weak and defenceless again. However, more urgently than all these terrors, you fear Mother learning about your dangerous escapades and reining in the freedom of your band. You send Rick Scullion into the main encampment overnight to listen to the gossip among the adults, many of whom have begun their drunken revelry early.

The next morning he comes back with good news: no one seems to have heard--and, in fact, the talk of the tongue-waggers is set aflame by another event entirely. Several carts were led away by a gang of thieves during the detour near the Sluice. Opinion on the thieves' haul varies. Some say silks from fabled Catay; others, mystical reagents from the sandy wastes of Souk; a few, with but paltry creative flair, maintain that it was a shipment of fine weapons up from Torchester. The horns blow twice for departure, ending all speculation.

The third day of travel shows the lush lands of Feroshire and its local people to good advantage. So close to the fairgrounds, road traffic has grown extremely clogged. All the carts and convoys of lesser folk must be halted and pushed aside as your Mother's procession whisks past in great pomp, unhindered. Thus the roadside is thickly-lined with prosperous men and their pregnant wives, many of them already dandling fat babies on their knees. Most grin and wave good-naturedly at the interruption to their journey. At times during your travel, when encountering dark forests and charred ruins, empty fields and throngs of desperate refugees, you had thought the outside world a scary place, but not here. Whatever ills struck the outside world had spared this place and its inhabitants.

In contrast to the locals going to the festival, you spot other folk with fiery red hair and dusky skin still labouring out in the fields, pulling in the last harvests. Brother Herman informs you, "Those are the Kampchuk in their own barbarous language. Vulgarly, locals call them Baabar. We used to call them Sea Raiders, although they do none of that now. Now they work the land to make amends for their former evils. Your father died fighting such as these." The specimens that you see, scraggy and bent, do not excite your imagination in that regard, and you quickly turn away. Still, you realise that you know absolutely nothing about Father's last battle. Other than a name, Mumsford Mound.

The fourth and final day of travel is mercifully short, when the carriage soon crests a ridgeline and descends into a shallow valley packed with wondrous sights.

A single massive round tower of pale yellow brick, roofed with dark blue shingles, stands guard between the bank of the river Parlon and the base of a small hill packed with buildings of similar material; the six-storey tower anchors the end point of an impressive curtain wall five times too long for the small hilltop city that it encloses. The vacant area inside the capacious wall is now filled up with hundreds of gaudy tents, pavilions and market stalls, with streaming banners and pennants and shields, a dense variegated forest of heraldry, so diverse and bewildering that you gain new respect for heralds.

In short, the sight down in the valley is a dazzling kaleidoscope.

Underneath the massive tower, your convoy draws up in a reserved location, and Lady Marna sends for you to join her. Mother greets the lord of the castle, a grizzled old knight named Sir Finn, who remarks on how much you have grown. He smiles, and you sieze upon the tatters of an old memory, Finn grinning over his shoulder as he rode off with Father and Luther to the war. You look around, and see many other faces and landmarks that you feel as though you ought to recall, but not quite. Recollection is always just beyond reach. Eerily, though, you almost expect to spot Father standing among them, so powerfully do these forgotten people and places evoke his memory somehow.

Between recent trauma, wisps of old memories, the flashy colours, the noisy tumultous crowds... Your mind is completely distracted until Finn begs his leave of the conversation.

"Farewell, Milady, until the Grand Feast this evening! I trust you shall be well-supplied in diversions in the mean-time. Today are the brawling matches, the stone-lifting contest, and the pie-eating competition!"

Lady Marna's entourage begins to dissolve according to its own tastes. Robard Pike cracks his knuckles and heads off to the brawling matches, his son Cadmon in tow; Watkin Stout waves Brond to follow him to the stone-lifting contest; and Hammy, whose father stayed behind in the kitchens, nevertheless licks his chops and hobbles toward the pie-eating competition.

But what do you do? You can attend all the contests for a little bit, one for the full time, or you can choose something else entirely. You could check the preparations for your mummery with Symeon; or escort Gervaise to the library; or accompany Mother, who smiles in anticipation of visiting the bustling marketplace filled with exotic goods from foreign lands. You could stroll through the tents of the knights, taking in the pretty colours and heraldry with Armaut. On your way down the ridge to the city, your attention was caught by a large congregation of peasants listening to a preacher that inflamed them to loud shouts of anger. So much to choose, so little time!

That was a long and rough birth, but here we are at last. Have fun at the fair! Huzzah! Huzzah! Much rejoicing!
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 20, 2013, 12:44:54 pm »

Huzzah indeed! I say we escort Gervaise to the library. We may have given our edict, but we cannot simply assume all of our lads will follow it. Once he's safely there, we should go look into the preacher who's inciting so much anger among the populace.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30