Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29388 times)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #390 on: October 12, 2013, 04:16:13 pm »

All's Fair -- Part Vd

You fix Cadmon with an irritated glare and snap back at him. "There won't be anymore of those suggestions, Cadmon, but enjoy the fun while it lasts. When Gervaise proves himself one of us, your grudge must be settled. That is the agreement!" Murmurs of assent ripple around the ring of boys. Cadmon shrugs again with an ostentatious indifference, and turns his attention to stoking the campfire.

You address the other boys. "At tomorrow's first light, we will test his bravery! There is no place among us for the cowardly. The pack of dogs down by the bear-baiter's wagon will be the proof of this."

You nod toward Hammy and Armaut. "But Hammy and Armaut also spoke well and true. The best use for a scribe is writing skilfull words for the brave knights. Yet I am not brave enough to listen to Gervaise singing a sonnet. So, Gervaise, come now, and you shall craft us a fancy motto for our band!"

Gervaise steps awkwardly from beyond the gloom, into the circle of little faces shimmering with expectation in the firelight . He squeaks out, "Hmm. Well. That is a good task, Milord. I would say that it is a very good task indeed. Hamden and Cadmon had many days to achieve their trials, but I am put on the spot. That makes this a difficult but worthy trial." He momentarily runs out of verbiage to stall time, and wipes his sweaty hands on his robes.

An idea flashes across his face. "There are some that call you the Knights of the Keep, and others call you the Knights Keeper. Howbeit, I see before me a sturdy band of brothers. That is good! Brotherhood is a strength rooted in common purpose and in a shared destiny. May the Keep and its brothers last a hundred years. Yet remember, it was not a stranger who did the first murder. When treacherous Cain was asked where his slain brother was, he responded, 'Am I my brother's keeper?' That is the oldest question, and it wants an answer in each of us. So, if you would be true brothers, and if you would be true Keepers, then answer when asked, I Am My Brothers' Keeper."

As others whisper the words quietly, perhaps surprised that Gervaise didn't resort to an ancient tongue, you think to yourself whether this motto is fitting for your group.

The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 12, 2013, 04:19:53 pm »

Sounds good to me.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 12, 2013, 04:28:07 pm »

It is a most fitting motto for us! However, it is hardly surprising that this boy was capable of the task of scribe. Now we must see if he is fit to be our brother. We and a our fellows will sneak in and set the dogs loose during the night. His task is to retrieve them. He will be given a day in advance for preparations. And then his task must be completed. I think that's a fitting task. What do you all think?

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 12, 2013, 04:38:52 pm »

It is a most fitting motto for us! However, it is hardly surprising that this boy was capable of the task of scribe. Now we must see if he is fit to be our brother. We and a our fellows will sneak in and set the dogs loose during the night. His task is to retrieve them. He will be given a day in advance for preparations. And then his task must be completed. I think that's a fitting task. What do you all think?

How many dogs? we can't unleash EVERY one of {x} dogs can we? I mean if he can't retreive them all then someone must have to talk to the adults about our testing. Maybe just running 5 laps around the town of falsdorm {dads founding town} before sunset or something while carrying something heavy.

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 12, 2013, 05:30:36 pm »

How many dogs? we can't unleash EVERY one of {x} dogs can we? I mean if he can't retreive them all then someone must have to talk to the adults about our testing. Maybe just running 5 laps around the town of falsdorm {dads founding town} before sunset or something while carrying something heavy.

Yeah, probably just some of the dogs. There's nothing courageous about running around the town with some thing heavy, and we know that that's a test he's gonna fail, since he isn't physically fit. With the dogs, he has the opportunity to apply cunning to retrieve them, which plays more to his talents, and he has to face the scary hounds and try to cage them/tie them (whichever is being used), which they probably won't like all that much. Remember, animal abuse laws don't exist here, so these dogs aren't friendly house dogs (I don't think). We can provide him with meat or something from our meals, if he requests some (that's the sort of preparations I was referring to), and he will have to show that he can get the hounds under control.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 12, 2013, 08:12:06 pm »

Yeah, probably just some of the dogs. There's nothing courageous about running around the town with some thing heavy, and we know that that's a test he's gonna fail, since he isn't physically fit. With the dogs, he has the opportunity to apply cunning to retrieve them, which plays more to his talents, and he has to face the scary hounds and try to cage them/tie them (whichever is being used), which they probably won't like all that much. Remember, animal abuse laws don't exist here, so these dogs aren't friendly house dogs (I don't think). We can provide him with meat or something from our meals, if he requests some (that's the sort of preparations I was referring to), and he will have to show that he can get the hounds under control.

makes sense let's do it.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 12, 2013, 08:32:09 pm »

Perhaps just release the most wily of the dogs...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 12, 2013, 08:35:15 pm »

Perhaps just release the most wily of the dogs...
+1
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 13, 2013, 12:03:15 pm »

All's Fair -- Part Ve

Upon hearing the new motto, you nod appreciatively, and the whispers gain strength. Finally, Hammy jumps up and belts out the motto with deep conviction, followed by Tom Bastard, then by Rick Scullion. Soon all the boys are chanting it together, their expressions animated by the flickering light of the campfire and by a new sense of unity, their fists marking out the beat as one. Except Cadmon, who sulks sullenly at the scene.

Early the next morning, your band of brothers marches solemnly down the hill to stand witness at the initiation ceremony of one Gervaise Lescrivain into the Fraternal Order of the Knights of the Keep near the bear-baiter's wagon. Wooden cages rattle with pent-up fury as your approach is scented by the starving beasts within them. One large cage, however, is wrought of thick iron--and yet a huge black furry mound slumbers quite peacefully inside. You dimly recall your father telling you a story about a fearsome bear once, and the lasting impression of horror that he imparted to you returns perfectly clear, if not the actual words. Should that particular cage have been rattling, perhaps even your impeccable courage might sorely be tested.

Hammy and Gervaise join the assembly, lugging behind them a sack of entrails from the cook's midden heap. There is a brief controversy in the  group over who should be responsible for opening up a cage that is being battered and rocked by its contents of enraged hungry dog, but eventually everyone agrees with Armaut, when he opines that there's a deep poetic balance in Gervaise both freeing and capturing the snarling and snapping animal all by himself, symbolising the inner struggle of a knight to set loose and to restrain his warrior spirit as society deems necessary. With heartfelt nods, the other boys jump up on nearby wagons to watch the trembling scribe commune with his warrior spirit.

Gervaise quits dragging the sack of guts, and hesitantly makes his knock-kneed advance upon the cage's position, with anxious glances thrown frequently to the boys planted on wagons to his left and right, and sometimes back at you. When he draws near, the cage leaps with the hurled weight of the hound's body, and he nearly faints. Mastering his fear, he sets himself to run away as he tremulously reaches out and slides the locking pin from the cage door. The cage door explodes open.

"Augh. Augh. Augh! Auugghh!" Gervaise barely avoids being savaged right at the very threshold of the cage, the dog's jaws noisily clomping at the emptiness that his arse had just vacated a split second earlier. The gangly scribe then begins racing about the field full of rocking cages in closely-pursued figures of eight, with no discernible objective beyond staying in one piece for a split second longer. At first, his strategy is aided by a meagre physique propelled forward on long limbs, which allow him to open up a secure lead, but now is hindered by the state of his robes, whose lower half is increasingly sodden by a spreading wetness that clings the fabric to his legs most cumbersomely. Viewed together with his awkward gait--which you could hardly call effeminate after having seen many girls run with greater dignity--the spectacle evokes a morbid comedy that washes over the boys safely on the wagons. You damn them for laughing at the poor boy from their safety; then with a jolt of realisation, you damn yourself for not being among them.

"Augh! Auugghh! AAUUGGHH!" Gervaise's screams grow louder as he turns and makes a dash toward you. His flailing set of stilt-like legs fail him in the dewy morning grass, and he flops face down in front of you. You barely notice. Your world narrows down to a single set of bared yellow fangs rapidly closing the distance.

Gervaise is about four seconds away from you, the dog twice that. The wagons are probably twenty seconds of running behind the dog, but slightly to either side. You could probably run sidelong past the dog, and for that matter, you don't even know that the dog will chase you. You have your everpresent wooden sword, of course.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 13, 2013, 12:29:39 pm »

Gervaise has failed his test, but that doesn't mean that he deserves the wrath of an angry hound. We will face it with every ounce of courage that is fitting in the leader of this holy order. Indeed, upon seeing us helping the boy, surely our loyal men will set to capturing to beast as well. We are truly a band of brothers. We should pull out our sword and begin walking towards Gervaise. If he happens to surprise us with some heroics, then good. Otherwise, we put a stop to this, and declare that he is of insufficient courage to join us. We will continue to bring him to Feroshire and back, but he won't be accompanying us on any other trips we happen to go on in the future.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 13, 2013, 03:35:03 pm »

Gervaise has failed his test, but that doesn't mean that he deserves the wrath of an angry hound. We will face it with every ounce of courage that is fitting in the leader of this holy order. Indeed, upon seeing us helping the boy, surely our loyal men will set to capturing to beast as well. We are truly a band of brothers. We should pull out our sword and begin walking towards Gervaise. If he happens to surprise us with some heroics, then good. Otherwise, we put a stop to this, and declare that he is of insufficient courage to join us. We will continue to bring him to Feroshire and back, but he won't be accompanying us on any other trips we happen to go on in the future.

+1 after the fight with the hellhound we should help him up. "sorry gervaise but you can't join us. But we'll always remember you right guys?"

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 13, 2013, 03:55:16 pm »

Lets throw our sword to Gervaise. That, or run to him and press the sword into his hands. If he ends up a hero, then great, if he is savaged, he probably wont die anyway. Secondly, I think that by just opening the cage, he has showed the courage necessary of a true knight, so maybe, if he isn't savaged and doesn't disgrace himself further than he already has by wetting himself, etc, we should let him in even if he fails to capture the dog.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 13, 2013, 03:58:03 pm »

+1 after the fight with the hellhound we should help him up. "sorry gervaise but you can't join us. But we'll always remember you right guys?"

I don't know about "we'll always remember you". He hasn't really done anything worth remembering, and it's not even like we won't see him on a regular basis anymore. He's just not part of our "gang". He still lives in the same keep. How about: "Clearly, you have failed this test of valor. You cannot join this band of brothers. As such, you are among those we are sworn to protect. I assume that all present understand that, and will NOT harass him for the remainder of this trip." As we say that last sentence, look meaningfully and sternly at Cadmon.

Lets throw our sword to Gervaise. That, or run to him and press the sword into his hands. If he ends up a hero, then great, if he is savaged, he probably wont die anyway. Secondly, I think that by just opening the cage, he has showed the courage necessary of a true knight, so maybe, if he isn't savaged and doesn't disgrace himself further than he already has by wetting himself, etc, we should let him in even if he fails to capture the dog.

I disagree. His task was not to open the cage, it was to get the dogs back in. If we let him in now, we will appear weak before our troops, and we will be going back on our word. The situation with Cadmon is tentative as it is, and this was Gervaise's chance to prove himself. He failed, and we cannot make excuses for him.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 13, 2013, 04:58:44 pm »

+0.65

Yes, give the sword back. If he succeeds in bringing the dog back to the cage, or in doing something noteworthy to the dog with the sword, he's in. If not...well, let him know that he can still work for us, maybe with us at times, but he is not one of us.
"As such, you are among those we are sworn to protect. I assume that all present understand that, and will NOT harass him for the remainder of this trip." As we say that last sentence, look meaningfully and sternly at Cadmon.
Sig

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 13, 2013, 06:05:53 pm »

Completely unconnected, by I noticed this just now. Gervaise is wearing robes, as was said in the last update. What are the rest of us wearing? tunics and hose, or robes like Gervaise? I just wanted to know in case it became important.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30