Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29380 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »

((Let's see how Marshall Ash Temple's tale ends...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 05, 2013, 05:30:04 pm »

All's Fair -- Part V

Your carriage approaches the open gatehouse, which has defined the boundaries of your young existence. It seems as though the gatehouse should somehow retreat into the distance as the carriage rolls inexorably forward. Yet it doesn't budge at all, and a breathless moment of shadow passes over before you emerge into the sunny streets of Curbiston and the wider world. The procession trundles down from the commanding heights, past the tall spire of St Theobalds Cathedral, down into the cluttered nest of half-timbered townhouses and narrow lanes that is squeezed into the walled precincts of the city. You can already trace out the path that your cortege will follow, because the entire route to the Feroshire Gate is lined with cheering people.

Moving through the tight streets of the city, you crack open the thick curtains of the carriage slightly to observe the throngs. To both sides, three-storey townhouses overhang the street with balconies so close that neighbors on opposite balconies could almost shake hands. People waving their hands and flower-boxes streaming with bright flowers fill up the balconies as the cortege winds through. At street-level, packed onlookers barely have space to breathe betwixt the walls of buildings and the on-coming procession. Yet breathe they do, and then channel that air into loud cheers. The affection that the populace bears your Mother is quite astonishing.

Shouts of "Long live the boy Count!" and  "Isaac Stone, Lord of Folesden, now and for aye!" penetrate the thick curtains of the cabin. You realise that they are all cheering you. Not a word is uttered of Marna, or Countess, or Milady. The people of Curbiston have come out to bid their young Count a pleasant journey. You wonder how you should react to thousands of people cheering for you.

What to do, what to say?

Sorry for the slow updates this week. Working on drawing a map right now. Anyway, carriages naturally do not have glass window panes in this era. Only thick curtains. If you wish to acknowledge the cheers, keep that in mind. You could also hop up onto the roof from the hole used to communicate with the coachman. Or you can ignore the crowds. Mr DeMille wants to know... Are you ready for your close-up?
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 05, 2013, 05:46:01 pm »

You could also hop up onto the roof from the hole used to communicate with the coachman.[/i]

Is this the DM trying to tempt us to mischief? Gerv, I'm shocked at you...

Well, why deny temptation? A little mischief never hurt anyone (okay, maybe a little). We can give  grand speech from atop the cart!

"Hello! Today, we go forth to show the daring and valor of the men of Curbiston, and the beauty of our women (my mother foremost among them), in Feroshire! We go to the fair to represent you, the folk of this city! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to count myself as one of, and indeed, the leader of, such a group of fine people! Farewell!"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:47:42 pm by Plato Play-Doh »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 05, 2013, 06:12:01 pm »

Seems like something we'd do... +1 for roof speech

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 05, 2013, 06:56:31 pm »

I'd go with "For the people and our mother land *shakes fists*".  :)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 05, 2013, 08:38:42 pm »

All's Fair -- Part Vb

You wiggle out of the hole and perch yourself atop the carriage roof, preparing your best stage voice, just as Symeon taught you. The cheers of the crowd swell into a reverberating roar upon seeing their little lord poking out the roof. A true test of your ability to carry a message over a loud audience.

Your shrill and childish voice pierces the rumble. "Hallo, hallo, all and sundry! Today, we go forth to show the daring and valor of the men of Curbiston... aaand the beauty of our women, my mother foremost among them! We go to the fair to represent you, the folk of this city! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to count myself as the leader of such a group of fine people! Farewell!"

But just as you say farewell and wave at the folks disappearing behind you, a new section of the crowd is coming into view ahead, so you begin again from the top. You practice projecting your voice several times like this. The experience teaches you several vocal tricks, and interacting with the crowd gives you a feeling of energy. People are reaching out to their little lord, and you wonder whether you should try grasping their outstretched hands.  Thoughts about this are interrupted when someone in the carriage tugs on your foot.

Just apprising you of all your options, Playdoh... although that option did have a certain extra flair, I suppose.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 06, 2013, 06:37:02 am »

Let's give a bow and duck back in, lest we get pulled inside unceremoniously.

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 06, 2013, 07:18:48 am »

+1

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 06, 2013, 08:28:56 am »

+1
+1

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 06, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »

And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 11, 2013, 09:10:35 pm »

All's Fair -- Part Vc

You give a bow and duck back into the carriage, to find your oft-dodged schoolmaster and now chaperone, Brother Herman, looking anxiously outside the window, a palsied finger quivering at his lips. The carriage rolls into an open court surrounded by decidedly less well-tended townhouses and turns down another narrow lane. "That was Offal Court, my children, Offal Court! Now we've turned toward Sluicegate Row. Sluicegate itself! What has possessed them to travel this route? Man and boy, I lived within these walls sixty-nine years, yet I never got myself near the Sluice. Until now."

High above the carriage, the heights loom where Saint Theobald's Cathedral casts its shadow down upon its faithful. From that lofty edifice to the lower wards of the city, a channel has been carved into the steep rocky slope, and you spy monks atop the cliff dumping baskets of rubbish into this sluice channel. A slight noisome smell cloys the nostrils even at a distance, indicating that there must be a trash heap of significant size rotting somewhere behind the haphazard grey stacks of weather-beaten shacks that cluster around the base of the channel. To call them buildings would be far too much charity, implying meditation and design; these creaky contrivances totter out over the lanes, alleys and ratways between them, resting drunkenly against each other to avoid toppling. Your route cuts through the outskirts of this mass. The path is dark, as you travel into a dense urban wilderness under a canopy of neglect. The cheering crowds from other lanes have been replaced by a new fauna peeping out from the alleyways. Begrimed gangs of taut-faced waifs glare like owls. Like fallen trees, drunken lumps of flesh sprawl out in puddles of various origin. Meanwhile the more alert shadows seem to measure out each passing mark by weight of purse and heaviness of body. Brother Herman snaps the window curtains shut. "Enough of that eyesore, children."

A cursing scream from the coachman, and a childish squeal of triumph, followed by screeching laughter. "Oi! Bing avast, cullies! I clied izzat!" The coachman reins in the horses and jumps off his seat, swearing profusely. Flinging open the curtains again, Brother Herman opens his wrinkly mouth to scold the driver for stopping, but alarm halts his tongue.

The driver, scanning the rooftops and alleyways, is a grim sight, clutching his cheek, blood streaming between his fingers. "The rooftop! A bloody hook! A group of little shites threw down a bloody blasted hook and snatched my beaver fur hat!"

Behind your carriage, there's a noisy disturbance. Other carters and coachdrivers begin yelling in a great confusion, cursing and threatening the stalled queue of carts and horses. The coachman hops up on his seat, still grabbing his jowls, and the carriage clatters and jounces away at a brisk pace, perhaps to put behind rather than to catch up.

You sit around a camp fire with your Knights of the Keep. When cortege made camp that evening on a small hill overlooking a burned-out thown called Brinthown, the castle boys from the other carts and carriages directly sought out your group to begin chattering in wonder at alll the new things that they had witnessed along the way. Impenetrable forests dripping fire-orange foliage, wide open golden fields dotted bountifully with ricks of wheat and hay, lowing great herds of cattle and sheep, praying flocks of petinents calling for salvation, strangers from afar with colorful wagons belching strange scents, and of course the real knights themselves cantering past with pennants streaming and armour flashing.

Your story of Sluicegate, backed and attested by the other passengers in your cab, leaves them with their mouths agape. Jakes Anyman nods his head. "Those boys were angler's pigeons, and hooking the hats and especially the brooches and cloak-pins of passersby from above is what they're about. When I ran with Harry Noughting and his lot, he made out that he knew that part of town, but seeing that place today... he's not that hard. That was a grim sight." You look down at the silver brooch that pins your rich blue cloak jauntily to your shoulder, and think to yourself that the outcome could have been much worse. After a bit of hushed whispering about "that place" and the squalid sights within, all the other boys go quiet.

To put life back into the group, you stand up and announce that Gervaise has yet to prove himself a true associate of the Knights Keeper. You convince everyone to agree to his induction, if he passes a worthy test. You ask the boys around the campfire, "What do you think he ought to do?"

Hammy thinks a bit, and suggests that Gervaise should create a fancy motto for the group, and all of the kitchen boys agree; Armaut and most of the court boys think he should extemporaneouly create a sonnet dedicated to your valour if he's to be the group scribe; Jakes reckons that, what with Gervaise sticking his nose in books all the time, maybe he can find a map of the castle; and finally, Cadmon sneers at Gervaise, saying he talks like a complete horse's arse, so he should very well put his face up against the hindquarters of such a beast till it farts. This produces the expected volley of chortles from his group. However, Cadmon notes an absent voice from his usual echo gallery. Henry Higgs, the malicious boy that usually eggs him on, and his little brother both aren't present. Shrugging in annoyance, he continues to offer other, anatomically incorrect, proposals.

The group that expresses the least acceptance to Gervaise is the barrack boys, but what next to do is your choice.

I promise to reach the fair this weekend! Despite the title of the section, it's been like Zeno's Paradox, right? Heh. Also, if you're wondering about the cant words, I'm using Francis Grose's 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue. There's nothing firmly documented until the 1600s, so true medieval cant is beyond our reach.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 11, 2013, 09:46:57 pm »

"...my beaver fur hat!"
((...Oddly specific. Does he have multiple nice hats?))

There's nothing firmly documented until the 1600s, so true medieval cant is beyond our reach.
((Let it be noted that there are very few places that people would care about that.))

First, let's try to get this all under control. For starters, suggest that Cadmon has had enough fun at Gervaise.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 12, 2013, 04:54:18 am »

Ask after the Higgs boys.

Also, I like the idea of a fancy motto.

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 12, 2013, 08:30:53 am »

Ask after the Higgs boys.

Also, I like the idea of a fancy motto.

I'm pretty sure that the Higgs boys weren't present because we didn't have them as part of our entourage. Remember, not everyone could come.

Edit: I think we should require him to come up with a fancy motto, but a test of bravery should also be required. Even our squire mustn't flee at the slightest danger! Are there any canines in this caravan that might scare a young boy?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:36:51 am by Plato Play-Doh »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 12, 2013, 08:31:59 am »

Okay i say we should do the fancy moto. if anything because we haven't done anything of particular "valor" at 6 y/o.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30